1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Utility van to Camper van

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.E, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Just stay below 26K pounds.

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

3. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Not if it's an RV, if you have a shitter, water and cooking apparatus in it theres way around it. Problem is unconverted you're right, you're in a pickle with the regs if over 26k.

-Mike

4. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

What about a truck like in Kill Bill? Forgot the guy's name. Cool rig though.

5. Mr.E

Mr.E

not a bad idea. But I would need to buy something like an SUV (I have a car) to mount. If I was going to do that I would just buy an SUV big enough to hold a mattress inside. And I think $2K for one of those is a little crazy.

6. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Don’t forget a nice hearse too

7. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

image.jpeg

Always wanted one of these. After I get a pickup truck, its next on the list.

8. zboys

zboys NES Member

Boy this thread brings back the days of traveling the Van show circuit in the 70's. Wild times

Choctaw likes this.
  9. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Then take it down to ujoint for 4x4, to start. [cheers]

10. Mr.E

Mr.E

ya, but I can't imagine that thing doing highway traveling well.

11. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    go old school:

[​IMG]

Broccoli Iglesias and Uzi2 like this.
  12. 45collector

45collector NES Member

When I was 17 I bought a 1975 VW bus with no interior but the front seats. It was a flat top (no pop up tent) version with all the windows. I found a ‘73 Westfalia sitting in a bone yard in Harwich and paid the guy $100 for all the interior stuff. Cabinets, curtains/rods, table, bench/bed... all of it. It took me a weekend to fit it in. Man I had some good times in that thing. I owned it from ‘97 to ‘03.

AntiHippie and Coyote33 like this.
  13. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Cheap as shit and many were beat the same.

14. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Do some searching on the interwebs for "expedition vehicles" - there's a lot of guys who convert the Sprinter 4WD vans for off road camping. You'll also pick up some good ideas on what you want to do with the vehicle. I've seen a lot of cool stuff posted on Pinterest.

I'd also suggest if you buy one - buy one that is "popular". It will mean you'll have access to a much wider range of products and also have a much bigger support system on the forums if you've got an issue.

My brother in law bought one of those Nissan mini contractor type vans - with the idea of converting it into an overnight camper. The problem is I don't think he really thought it thru all that much (he usually doesn't) - because while there's a bunch of stuff available for converting some of those other mini-sized vans - there isn't squat available for the Nissan.

15. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I've read some of that stuff.

There's a sub-culture out there of people who live in their vehicles. One of the things they try real hard to do is be incognito. They'll even go so far as to hide any outside evidence that the van is used for living in - and do stuff like put signs on the outside indicating it's a plumber's van and stuff like that. Sounds strange - but it allows them to park in places and sleep where they'd otherwise get kicked out.

16. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

They work fine on the highway. Those big rectangular RVs drive fine, these are smaller, lighter and slightly more aero dynamic.

17. Coyote33

Coyote33

Potato chips or bread?

18. Coyote33

Coyote33

I was thinking I'd like to get a used motor home and gut it a bit. I just want the sleeping accomodations, and a kitchen table to eat at in poor weather. Would just use either campground restrooms or nature for the bathroom. Kitchen could be either in or outside. Just want a clean, level, dry place without bugs to sleep. Would like to keep it simple. Nice woodwork and a few small twin mattresses here and there that can be moved into place when not sitting at the table. Anybody have a website for that?

19. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

[​IMG]

20. Coyote33

Coyote33

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHM likes this.
  21. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I suppose that would make for a good disguise - but maybe not.

A Lays truck parked in the middle of a Walmart parking lot in the middle of the night would probably be suspicious.

What I've seen guys talk about is using regular workmen type vans (old American style vans - or the newer "Sprinter" style vans) - and then they hide all the outward signs that somebody might be living in it. Any sort of venting is hidden on the top of the truck or on the underside - it's a windowless van so there's no windows with curtains drawn (just looks obvious) - and then they'll throw a ladder on the roof or something like that and put some signs on the side saying Bob's Plumbing or maybe some DOT stickers or something along those lines.

Doing that lets them park the thing in all sorts of places they might not get away with otherwise, from what I gather cops in a lot of places tend to harass people they think are living in their vehicles.

Park a plumber's van in the parking lot for a 24 hour restaurant - and nobody is probably going to pay attention except maybe the restaurant workers if somebody notices it's been there for a number of hours.

22. AHM

AHM NES Member

Mind you, if you gut it then you get all of the crappy gas mileage
    with none of the amenities.

I'm sure you've got a vision for what you want.
    Just think through what the unintended side-effects are.

Also, truck campers, minihomes and motorhomes
    you can at worst just set the parking brake and you're camping.
    But (as my parents often observed), with self-propelled RV's
    "if you want to buy a loaf of bread, you have to break camp"
    (or tow a Beetle or pack a moped).

So ask yourself whether you're going point-to-point,
    or actually sleeping/cooking at a destination for days.
    The latter is where a trailer you can (But Don't Have To) unhitch
    beats the former.
    =====

Rumor has it that RV values plummet worse than cars.
    So "used motorhome" could be very cost-effective.
    Unless it was neglected and you're buying Other Peoples' Problems.

23. Coyote33

Coyote33

I don't want anything to do with plumbing in a metal and wood vehicle. I don't want a huge RV, just something maybe a little bigger than a custom van. That way, you can take it to the beach or wherever else. I just want real simple interior, but nice. Curtains and wood kind of stuff. Just don't want to sleep on the ground for many more years. I'm not a big fan of digging ditches in pajamas in the middle of the night.

24. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

The day I give up on working and decide to drive around the country and hike and bike all day, I'm getting one of those. 'MERICA.

I could do it now. We have a person at work that decided to drive all over the country in an SUV and work from random places. The company is totally cool with that, they even wrote a blog about it. Its just having to find a reliable internet connection that would be hard. They also allowed me to travel for a few weeks in Latin America and work remotely, as long as I was getting the job done, they were cool.

When Star Link is complete, I will most likely do that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    SERE likes this.