• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Utah or Florida non-resident CCW permit

I'm looking at the Utah and Florida non-resident permit information. These seem to allow a holder to move freely in quite a few states. Anyone from MA hold one of these? What was the app process?

Thanks.

UT and FL are both useful in many states, however, neither is a superset of the other. UT covers WA and MI which makes it useful, however, if you are interested in traveling to UT the FL permit covers that and is a bit easier to get.

Both are shall issue, however, UT requires a course from a UR certified instructor. These are available in MA, but are going to become scarce as their certifications expire as the instructor certification procedure has changed and they now have to travel to UT fora refresher course.

Kmaurer does UT courses for $50 (at least until his instructor cert expires), is very easy to deal with, and I can recommend use of his services without hesitation.

Some of you may not require any training to qualify for Florida-if you were in the military, you're good to go. An NRA safety course, or any hunter education course will qualify.

Here is a list of courses recognized by Florida:
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Does anyone have any pros and cons or updated information on these two states non-resident CCW permits? It looks like I'm going to apply for the Florida one as I'm more likely to vacation there instead of Utah.

"(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida."

Am I missing something? I was looking into this and saw the line above on the page listing reciprocating states. Near the bottom of the page.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

No, you aren't missing anything. It is something that you really need to research because a lot of people get misled into believing these licenses are valid in any states that have reciprocity with them, but several do have the "resident" clause, so be sure you do your research!

Why not get an AZ license? It is easier then UT and covers just about the same (give or take a few states). Approx 40 days and it was a done deal.

You do not need anything for NH.

Not for open carry, but you do for concealed....or in your vehicle, that is considered concealed. So if you have your firearm on you open carrying and get in your car you are now breaking NH law. At least that is how it was explained to me. Open carry is legal for anyone of age, but concealed you need a Concealed Carry permit.

Not for open carry, but you do for concealed....or in your vehicle, that is considered concealed. So if you have your firearm on you open carrying and get in your car you are now breaking NH law. At least that is how it was explained to me. Open carry is legal for anyone of age, but concealed you need a Concealed Carry permit.

What I was reply to has nothing what so ever to do with that. Not even close. A CCW class is NOT REQUIRED for a NH license.

I do realize that a CCW class is not required in NH, what I meant was that at this class they provide everything for the mentioned licenses including applications, prints, photos (where necessary). So if you dont already have a NH lic, you can fill out the app along with any others that you wish to get right at the end of the class, and drop them in the mail on the way out the door. Just show up with a checkbook! Pretty neat service.

"(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida."

Am I missing something? I was looking into this and saw the line above on the page listing reciprocating states. Near the bottom of the page.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Each state has a set of numbers. Those numbers are for the foot notes. SO the only states that do not recognize the FL non-res license are: Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and This nuance in Alabama:

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

Back
Top Bottom