Utah man found guilty of selling semi-to-auto kits

Not sure, but it sounds like his self defense was an attempt to ultimately get a mistrial
In most instances, courts do not view defendants failure to adequately represent themselves as grounds for a mistrial. In the case of Godinez v. Moran (1993), SCOTUS ruled that the same standard applied to stand trial and competence to represent oneself. While the courts may require an otherwise competent defendant proceed to trial with the assistance of counsel as ruled by SCOTUS in the case of Indiana v. Edwards (2008), this is not typically an issue that is pushed unless the individual is presenting a very poor defense or shows some evidence of mental impairment. Even in the case of the LIRR shooter, Colin Ferguson, he was permitted to act pro se and mounted a very convoluted and irrational defense.

Mr. Bishop's lack of knowledge of the judicial process is, unfortunately for him, not an affirmative defense nor grounds for an appeal. He was not, as he alleges, denied due process. He had prescient knowledge that if he were to mount his own defense and attempt to present himself as an expert witness (which would require qualification), he would be bound to the same rules as a criminal defense attorney and required to share any evidence with opposing counsel (the Prosecutor) prior to trial (Discovery). Getting qualified as an expert witness would be difficult for him and subject him to further scrutiny of his training, experience, certification, and any credentials. I don't know what his specific credentials are, but in my experience in forensic psychology and 23 years of expert testimony, I still find occasional questioning of my experience and credentials by defense attorneys and the occasional prosecutor who wants to discredit my testimony.

Last edited:
It sounds like he shouldve stopped the first time but wasn't doing anything illegal. That or they are going after the barrel cleaner suppressors next

So 140,000 years in prison doesn't seem equitable...

Yeah, he's a fool on so many levels, but at the core he isn't wrong, just guilty. From a Constitutional point of view it isn't possible to regulate firearms.

Without question he's making things more difficult for the rest of us and he's going to jail for a very long time.

Anyone else notice the article was actually non biased and factual in nature? After reading, all I could think was where the hell did this article come from? Salt Lake Tribune, so go figure...

Wondering exactly what was the part?

Anyone else notice the article was actually non biased and factual in nature? After reading, all I could think was where the hell did this article come from? Salt Lake Tribune, so go figure...

The article describes it as a piece of aluminum with four bends. Sounds like a pretty straightforward mechanical design problem.

ETA ...

Don't read the comments...

Well after that note I did. There were a couple of foaming at the mouth leftists being called on their BS.

Last edited:
It's interesting that even with the flooding of illegal machineguns, there hasn't been any actual use of them in any crime (other than their existence/possession)

The BATFE has been pushing the line on the definition of "firearm manufacture" for years. Just look at the Maadi-Griffin case. The next logical step is going after people selling 80% kits, or even kits that are complete but for lower receiver.

Google ARFA kit for the details. Looks like some kind of bend-it-yourself-at-home-DIAS.

Last edited:
Seems like a parallel to the Maadi-Griffin situation. Feds tell the vendor to cut it out; vendor declares activity legal and continue.

“In an email to a customer shown in court, Bishop wrote “I read the gun control act quite a bit different than other people.”

Sounds like the reinterpretation of the Joseph Smith-style epiphany dear leader on 7/20 in MA.

Probably something like this.

Picture_384_1_.jpg

Pull shit like this and you earn a visit to Pound you in the Bum Federal Prison.

No sympathy

carefull what you say, soon enough saying shit like this will get you sent to re-education camp.

no sympathy, really? What kind of shit have you pulled, because by noon time you are probably at least a felon several times thanks to bullshit laws that regulate every aspect of peasant life.

Last edited:
From what I could find it was not even close to lightening link, not that lightening link probably won't work with your AR anyways (google to find out why)

The RAW Materials Kit includes the following: Non-completed material necessary to make a Bolt Carrier Group Counter Weight and detailed instructions for bending, drilling, and installing the completed part. The material is cut to the correct shape necessary to make the part, but is left unbent and undrilled, and thus is simply a flat piece of metal.

so basically the guy got jammed up for selling a piece of f***ing aluminum that could be turned into something FA.

at the same rate, selling a Coke can is the same thing, because you can jam an Ali shim under your sear and make your AK temporarily "full auto."

This is not what he was selling, apparently it's what you can bend that piece of aluminum strip into, he literally sold that flat aluminum strip, completely flat, no holes. How is this different from "80% receivers"? It's not, get a clue comrades. And no, this is not mine, just found a pic from barfcom.

24173w7.jpg

From the article:

When asked if he could have sold the kit to a felon, child, mentally ill person or undocumented immigrants, Bishop said it was possible.

I am f***ing speechless ... so selling this shit to an illegal is bad, but illegal is "undocumented immigrant". This reminds me one Russian anecdote: madam walks onto a priest f***ing a whore as she says: "father, would you mind puting your pants on or taking your cross off?"

“Mr. Bishop flooded our country with illegal machine guns,” Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Drew Yeates told the jury. “Find him guilty.”

oh, the humanity!!! When at least one f***ing ATF agent goes to prison for Fast Furious, this is horseshit.

Last edited:
If what he sold is below, then I have no clue what he is selling and how it works. It looks like the devices I use to connect my whiteboard to my cube wall.

Spikes and BCI sell lowers that RDIAS and RLL can still drop into, should you happen to own a registered DIAS or LL.

From what I could find it was not even close to lightening link, not that lightening link probably won't work with your AR anyways (google to find out why)

so basically the guy got jammed up for selling a piece of f***ing aluminum that could be turned into something FA.

at the same rate, selling a Coke can is the same thing, because you can jam an Ali shim under your sear and make your AK temporarily "full auto."

This is not what he was selling, apparently it's what you can bend that piece of aluminum strip into, he literally sold that flat aluminum strip, completely flat, no holes. How is this different from "80% receivers"? It's not, get a clue comrades. And no, this is not mine, just found a pic from barfcom.

24173w7.jpg

From the article:

I am f***ing speechless ... so selling this shit to an illegal is bad, but illegal is "undocumented immigrant". This reminds me one Russian anecdote: madam walks onto a priest f***ing a whore as she says: "father, would you mind puting your pants on or taking your cross off?"

oh, the humanity!!! When at least one f***ing ATF agent goes to prison for Fast Furious, this is horseshit.

Back
Top Bottom