• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Utah CCW Classes

KMaurer

NES Member
As you may know, Utah is now requiring that all new and renewing instructors attend 4-5 hour "instructor training" session, which is only offered in Utah, and then only about once a month. The result is that the number of certified instructors outside Utah and adjacent states is steadily declining. Utah BCI currently lists 5 instructors in Massachusetts, 16 in all of New England. My certification expires May 1, 2009, and I seriously doubt I'll be flying to Utah in order to renew.

I'm going to schedule at least one Utah CCW class at the Westford Sportsmen's Club before 5/1, which I'll announce here as soon as the date is definite.

If you've got a few people who would like to have a class for non-resident Utah CCW licenses at your club, PM me. I'm willing to travel to anywhere in western or central Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire if there's enough interest. It's a relatively short class, so it can be done either on a weekend or a weekday evening.

Ken

Question: once you have taken the class and applied for and received the UTAH CCW License, do you need to take the class again to renew the CCW License?

Question: once you have taken the class and applied for and received the UTAH CCW License, do you need to take the class again to renew the CCW License?

No, you only need to take it once. Renewal is only $10 and a new photograph; no new fingerprints required.

I'm currently looking into doing a class immediately before the NES Members New Year's party.

Ken

Ken,

I took your Instructor class this past year. I'd be interested in taking your Utah class, but given the short time between now and New Years I'm not hopeful it will work out. I'll be unavailable from just after Xmas through Jan 1st. If you decide to hold the class (or another class) after New Years, PM, call me or post an update.

-ed

PS: Depending upon date/time/cost and babysitter availability, I may also convince my wife to attend as well!!

Is there any benefit of a Utah license over a Florida license?

-Cuz.

With the Utah CCW, you get Minnesota, Nevada and Washington, which you don't get with the Florida CCW. Also, with the Utah permit, note that the following states only accept it if you are a Utah resident: Colorado, Florida, Michigan and New Hampshire. With the Florida CCW, you get to carry in West Virginia which doesn't accept the Utah CCW. If you have the Utah permit and not a resident of Utah, you'll need the Florida permit to carry in Florida.

With the Utah CCW, you get Minnesota, Nevada and Washington, which you don't get with the Florida CCW. Also, with the Utah permit, note that the following states only accept it if you are a Utah resident: Colorado, Florida, Michigan and New Hampshire. With the Florida CCW, you get to carry in West Virginia which doesn't accept the Utah CCW. If you have the Utah permit and not a resident of Utah, you'll need the Florida permit to carry in Florida.

Well that clears everything up. :)
It also seems the Utah license is cheaper too. I'm more likely to go to Florida than Minnesota, Nevada or Washington but it wouldn't hurt to have them both. You can never have too many until it's time to pay up for renewals...

Thanks,
Cuz.

Is there any benefit of a Utah license over a Florida license?

1. Cheaper (probably a wash after paying $50 to $100 for a UT course)

2. WA and MN (NV was formerly a benefit, but I believe they now accept FL)

This post has been edited as it contained misleading and incorrect information. However, I still think I'm interested in the Utah class.

So sorry,
-Cuz.

Last edited:
Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire and West Virginia will recognize a Utah license from a non resident
Great news - can you point to an official source? I thought CO only accepted resident permits, and am eager to confirm I was mistaken.

Oops, I think I may have jumped the gun in my earlier posts. Seems Utah doesn't use footnotes to let you know about any caveats with the other states like Florida does. You have to go to each state individually to see if it accepts a non-resident license, and as Rob mentioned above, Colorado does not.

The state of Colorado no longer recognizes the validity of any permit issued by any state to a nonresident of that state (see CRS 18-12-213 amended 2007).

I am going to remove my earlier post so as not to mislead anyone. I'm sorry guys, that's what I get for trying to provide timely useful information.
-Cuz.

Ken i have someone from work that would like to take the class.
Just need a date and time.
Thanks Jay

OK, I've nailed down the date.

Westford Sportsmen's Club
January 10, 2009 @ 2:00pm
I've contacted Utah BCI and hope to have the correct fingerprint cards available.
Cost is $50.

As I mentioned previously, if you've got people at your club who would be interested in having a course there, I'm willing to travel.

Ken

No need to send me any money beforehand. Just bring a check or cash with you. I'll count you in.

Others, just reply here or by PM to let me know that you're in now that the date and time are definite.

Ken

I used Ken's services for this course in 2007, and can highly recommend him as a good person to do business with.

OK, I've nailed down the date.
Westford Sportsmen's Club
January 10, 2009 @ 2:00pm

Ken,

I need to pass. Our son's birthday party is Jan 10 @ 2pm @ the Karate Studio for him and all his kindergarten friends. If I skip it to take the class, I may as well as move to Utah -- understanding as my wife is, she's counting on me to help chaperon kids. Any chance for another class before your license expires or perhaps donations to help send you to Utah for the renewal??

Ed

Back
Top Bottom