• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Utah CCW Class - Riverside

What about someone who have never taken any type of firearm course before ?
Hopefully they still know their way around so we don't have to cover the material at a pace appropriate for complete newbies.

Would this class qualify him for a UTAH N-R permit ?
or does he have to perform/take some additional course requirement ?
This, a completed application and fingerprint card and your check for to Utah for $62.50 is all that's needed.

An, yes, it's still on. Riverside Gun Club in Hudson, MA, starting at 7:00pm.

Ken

See ya there Fred, just don't expect to shoot in our indoor pool, I mean range. We had to cancel bullseye last night.

But do bring up any goodies you want to sell!

-= chuck

Hopefully they still know their way around so we don't have to cover the material at a pace appropriate for complete newbies.

This, a completed application and fingerprint card and your check for to Utah for $62.50 is all that's needed.

An, yes, it's still on. Riverside Gun Club in Hudson, MA, starting at 7:00pm.

Ken

Looking at the application, it looks like the form needs to be notarized as well... Ugh. Also, any ideas where to get blue (Applicant) fingerprint cards without ORI info preprinted on them?

See you there tomorrow!

Thanks
--EasyD

Blue Finger Print Cards

Even though I already completed the training, I wanted to be at Friday night's class. Unfortunately, I had to go out of town.

I just received my Utah CCW the day before the class, but there was one glitch I had. It was with the fingerprint cards.

The application says use the blue applicant cards. I went to my local PD and they fingerprinted me on blue applicant fingerprint cards.

These were rejected by Utah. They were nice and sent me the proper card with specific instructions on filling out the card. They look almost the same, but they are different. Unfortunately my scanner is on the fritz, so I will try to descibe the correct fingerprint card to use, along with instructions for filling the out.

Hope this helps.

-kg

INCORRECT FINGERPRINT CARD
--------------------------
The incorrect card used by my local PD is a white card printed in blue ink and says APPLICANT in the upper right corner. The best way to distinguish this card is that in the center of the card it has "Massachusetts Department of State Police", "Identification Section", and their Sudbury, MA address. On the back, bottom left corner it says FORM I-9. Utah will reject this card.

CORRECT FINGERPRINT CARD
------------------------
The correct fingerprint card is a whit card with the top left corner cut off. It is also printed in blue ink and says APPLICANT in the top left corner next to the cut corner. On the back top center it says "Federal Bureau of Investigation", United States Department of Justice", and "CJIS Division/Clarksburg, WV 26306". On the back bottom left corner si FD-258.

INSTRUCTIONS
------------
These are the instructions Utah sent me:

Please fill out your fingerprint cards completely and VERY clearly.

The following sections along the top need to have your information entered.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Column
------------
Signature of person fingerprinted.
Residence of person fingerprinted.
Employer and address.
Reason for fingerprinted.

Second Column
-------------
Last name, First name, and Middle name.
Aliases.
Citizenship.
Social Security No.

Third Column
------------
Sex
Race
Height
Weight
Eye Color
Hair Color
Date of birth
Place of Birth

The following sections along the top need to be completed by your fingerprint technician.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date
Signature of official taking fingerprints.

Also, in the ORI box (they had this printed in black on the card,
not sure if you should put this in or not) it says:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
UTBCI0000
UT BU CRIM IDENT
SALT LAKE CITY UT

Last edited:
kg

Thanks for the fingerprint card info. I checked with my local PD and they only have the one that gets rejected. Where can I/we get the FBI form FD-258

Thanks

I got one from a private source today. One the back it states

This card for use by:
1. Law enforcement agencies in fingerprinting applicants for law enforcement positions.
2. Officialsof state and local governments for purposes of employment, licensing, and permits, .......

Per "1." all PD's should have them. I'll check with my PD again.

I will be getting the card back from Utah shortly, then. My original prints were inadequate quality and were rejected. They sent me two new cards. While processing the second card, my finger slipped and the card was ruined. We took one of the blue MSP applicant cards and did the second again, came out good. I sent the cards in with a note explaining why, but I guess I'll be hearing back.

Why do they need two? Maybe if the first one is OK I'll be all set.

Meanwhile, I have a valid Utah permit in hand. I guess I need to keep getting printed til I get it right.

Update: The app says supply "one" (1) applicant fingerprint card, so I should be OK, the first set came out pretty good.

Last edited:
kg

Thanks for the fingerprint card info. I checked with my local PD and they only have the one that gets rejected. Where can I/we get the FBI form FD-258

Thanks

I would try calling Utah and ask them to send you the finger print card. Not sure where else you can get one. Florida also uses this card and you can order the cards, along with applications, on their website. (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/forms.html)

About 3 days after I sent in my correct fingerprint card, my Utah card arrived. Then a couple weeks later, I received another. Not sure why, so I filed one so I had a replacement in the even I ever lose the first.

-kg

Every PD I've talked to either has MSP cards or the correct FD-258 cards, but with the PD's ORI information already printed on it. So I went ahead and paid for a pack of 100 blank (no ORI info preprinted) cards from the Government Printing Office.

Thanks to kengog, we know the correct ORI info for Utah.

If anyone needs a card or two, send over a PM, and I will mail 'em off to you when I get them in from the government, should be in a week or so. I can even type the ORI information onto the cards for you... I always did like having an old IBM Selectric around!

Ken, if you want some for future classes let me know.

--EasyD

Last edited:
Utah concealed weapon permits grow

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:06 AM MDT

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- As the number of concealed weapons permits issued to out-of-staters continues to rise, Utah public safety officials say it might be time to cut off applications.

By the end of the year, officials estimate Utah will have issued more then 40,000 permits, nearly 150 percent more than issued last year. It's a 250 percent increase over permits issued in 2006.

"This program has been growing by leaps and bounds," Department of Public Safety Lt. Doug Anderson, who runs the program, said Wednesday at a meeting of the Legislature's Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee.

Since 1994 about two-thirds of permits issued go to out-of-staters. The increased number of permits should generate about $1 million in revenue.

Utah issues permits rather than relying on reciprocity agreements that recognize gun permits from another state, much like honoring driver's licenses issued elsewhere.

Public Safety Commissioner Scott Duncan said the state should end out-of-state permitting, but acknowledged the decision rests with lawmakers.

"We'll do it any way they want us to do it," Duncan said. "I think we need to look out for our state first."

Duncan said the program leaves Utah with a number of problems, including the inability to monitor some Utah-certified permit instructors. About 70 percent live in states other than Utah.

Gun rights advocate and committee member Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield, said he opposes eliminating out-of-state permitting.

"An American is an American," Oda said. "I don't care if he's a New York American or a Utah American, as citizens we have rights."

http://www.casperstartribune.net/ar...regional/d655be67e48705d38725745100753036.txt

All the more reason to take this course. If you travel to WA or NV, UT provides the only option I know of that allows you to mail order a permit valid in these states. NV is particularly bad, since you have to take a class in NV to even apply. Since UT makes instructors go to UT for refresher training to renew their cert, they're going to become increasingly rare in MA. There is also the chance that UT would allow renewals even if they stop new issues out of state.

Back
Top Bottom