• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Utah CCW Class - Riverside

KMaurer

NES Member
We'll be holding a class for anyone interested in getting their Utah CCW license at the Riverside Gun Club in Hudson. The class will be Friday evening, February 15th starting at 7:00pm. The cost of the class is $60 for non-members and either $30 or $45 for members (hoping to have a definitive answer on this later today).

Ken

The class will run about 3-3½ hours, since you've already been through most of it for your Mass licenses. There's no test. We'll go through all the Utah laws and licensing requirements, and the application process. It would help if you'd download and print a copy of the Utah application beforehand and fill out the obvious information. If you're not certain about anything, leave it blank so that we can make sure you do it right.

Ken

Any chances of starting at 6pm for those that will be traveling over an hour to get there?

Thanks

Ken,

One more question for you on this. Is this open to out of state participants? (who have completed the required courses for their home state carry permit.)

Thanks,
Chris

Is the following required? The last one I took was about five years ago.

WEAPON FAMILIARITY CERTIFICATION:
Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course
certified by the Bureau. The course must be completed
before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor
complete the certification information on the application. BCI
must receive your application within one year of course
completion.

It's all classroom. 1776: This is the course that section refers to. There's no limitation to Mass residents. The only reason I mentioned that was because I'm assuming that everyone attending will have taken a decent firearms familiarization/safety course at some time, so that, except for the Utah laws and regulations, we can cover the required material "expeditiously". [wink]

Ken

I'm in! Anyone know what states recognize their license? Or a link to that data?

Last edited:
The Utah permit covers Nevada. You don't want a Nevada permit because you have to qualify with each weapon. The make and model of each weapon you qualify with is printed on the back of the permit.

The Utah permit works in Nevada with no qualification requirements not the mention the fact that you'd have to go sit in a Nevada CCW class that is conducted in the state of Nevada.

Thanks! It looks like FL and UT have similar reciprocity huh? Except UT doesn't cover FL. Is Utah easier to get?

EDIT: Looks like that site isn't accurate after all... look at this. Scrivener would be proud of me... I did some research on my own. ;)

http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQOther.html

Be careful with this list. Some of the states on the list only recognize Utah RESIDENT permits i.e. Pennsylvania.

Be careful with this list. Some of the states on the list only recognize Utah RESIDENT permits i.e. Pennsylvania.
Although there have been some reports of the PA State Police assuming this is the case, the PA AG says otherswise (http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184) :

Interestingly enough, PA cannot issue a permit to someone from a state that has a provision for a permit but does not personally have one - so, for example, NJ residents who don't have enough clout for a permit in NJ can't get a PA one.

I agree with the advice of one of the famous gun attorneys (Darius) who recommends getting resident permits when possible since you don't have to deal with the possibility of an officer who didn't get the memo on reciprocity.

Hi Ken,

I'm going to have to drop out of the class. My surgery was just advanced to Monday night. There isn't any way I'll be functional on Friday.

Perhaps next time.

Thank you
Paul

It's all classroom. 1776: This is the course that section refers to. There's no limitation to Mass residents. The only reason I mentioned that was because I'm assuming that everyone attending will have taken a decent firearms familiarization/safety course at some time, so that, except for the Utah laws and regulations, we can cover the required material "expeditiously". [wink]

Ken

What about someone who have never taken any type of firearm course before ?

Would this class qualify him for a UTAH N-R permit ?
or does he have to perform/take some additional course requirement ?

Back
Top Bottom