Utah CCW Application UPDATED

Well, I sent it out yesterday at 5 PM, overnight mail.

Utah is $59 for 5 years, renewals are $10 for 5 years. Combined with my NH NR permit, covers every state that Florida does, except for Florida, and covers a few other states Florida doesn't.

They told me 30 days. Let's see how long it takes.

They require a 6 hour class. My instructor "tailors" his course to the student, so mine was "a little on the short side". He did make sure I was safe, knew the laws on lethal force and could shoot, though.

Who here is an NRA instructor? They might want to consider applying, so they could possibly run a course for some here.

I would, Nickle, but with everything else on my plate right now (health wise and job wise) I just can't. At some point in the future, maybe.

Nickle,

Did you take your Utah course locally? I am signed up for
John Peterson's PSI class in October and he says his class will
qualify for the Utah permit. So, yes, getting my Utah non-resident is
high on my list.

Nickle said:
Yeah, a local guy did mine. He was dirt cheap, too. He had more interest in seeing people armed, than making money. I can't say I blame him, either.

When I took my FL course, mine was dirt cheap too! He wouldn't let me pay him!! He's a friend (and Utah certified too) and someone I sponsored at a gun club and I have since proudly sat on the sidelines and watched him take his degrees at a Boston Masonic Lodge.

Now if we could only get him to join us here!! SR knows of whom I speak. [wink]

Unfortunately, Utah doesn't do it for me, as my initial interest in FL was so that I could have attended a LE convention in Miami back in 2001 (due to 9/11 we didn't go and the convention was "up in the air" until the last minute, as most were from NYPD and other NY Depts). As much as I am not fond of FL, we were there on vacation in 2003 and are likely to return there (we have four friends who have retired to FL). If FL ever recognized a NR Utah CCW then we could save money, otherwise we need to go with FL.

Utah may yet make sense to me (in addition to FL), if I ever decide to fly again! [roll]

I've not bothered to attend the last two (and one upcoming) Microsoft MVP Summits in Redmond, WA, but if I ever decide to attend again (very iffy due to size of mob - now about 2K attendees and growing), a WA accepted CCW may make sense. Two of the MVP Summits I attended were culminated by organized shoots with some WA friends from the original AR-15 eList (NOT the forum).

Nickle said:
Then it's starting to make some sense. I'd check packing.org to see exactly what your options are, first.

Nickle,

I will when/if it becomes an issue.

When I first attended a MVP Summit in WA, 1997, there were 80 of us and we all got to meet and know each other . . . some are still friends that we see when out in WA or when they are in Boston.

Last MVP Summit I attended, 2001 (post 9/11) there were ~800 of us packed into this big conference center "on campus". I was looking for some folks that I never found/saw and only after it was all over someone told me that they were there, but "way over in the back corner"!! We had grown too big to be a functional group any more.

The 2004 Summit had ~1600 attendees and now Microsoft hires out a convention center in Downtown Seattle for the event! Thanks, I don't do mobs! This year there will probably be well over 2K attendees. Only way to "keep in touch" there will be by cell phone!

Then you factor in the TSA BS and cost of air travel (Microsoft picks up our hotel bills) and thanks but no thanks.

I've been trying to convince Microsoft to hold smaller, regional events, that I will attend.

Well, here's the update.

I received my permit over the weekend, it was in my mailbox Sunday, when I got home from a bike rally down by Port Jervis, NY.

Just over 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom