• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA shotgun speedloading...

I shot my first shotgun match at HSC about a week and a half ago. All I had was a belt with shells and a stock-mounted shell holder. I saw all sorts of crazy contraptions including the speedloading sticks and some belt-mounted shell-holders.

My question is, what do you use and what do you recommend? I don't want to shoot open. My gun is a Beretta Xtrema2 28" that's stock other than a 4 round extension (which I'll have to plug to a total capacity of 8) and an extended bolt handle.

I put the time in to learn weak hand loading. Everything comes off my belt caddies. No side saddle, or 2 pack on the gun. I use a combination of Mark Otto 4 shell caddies, APC Custom 4x4 caddies and if the stage is huge I'll add a couple Choate 6 round caddies. Yes, I have used the 44 rounds on the belt in a long stage.
What ever you choose, you must practice to become proficient and maintain it.

Dan speaks the truth. Practice, practice, practice. I like the 6 shell belt caddies. I can grab and stuff 3 at a time.

I like the 4 round caddies for around the front. Less interference when bending over to set targets. I can grab 4 at a time.

Choate are the least expensive. You just need to add some of the smooth side of Velcro to them to stabilize the shells for when you remove some of them. California Comp Works are next in cost. They now have a few options for them. Mark Otto and AP Custom offer machined aluminum caddies, both come with Tech Locks. Man Mountain Engineering are formed aluminum.
Now you can do your homework and make a choice.

I use a version of the 6 round caddies and load weak hand, 4 rounds at a time.
So the one pitfall I have with 6 round caddies is the first pick is 4 and then you are stuck with 2 rounds to finish the caddy or pick 4 from the next caddy.

It just takes a little more thought to make sure you get 4 instead of 2.

Now if you load 3 and 3 then this won't be an issue.

So if I was planning to learn 4 at a time I would go with either 4 or 4x4 caddies.

David E.

Back
Top Bottom