USPSA shoots self in leg today?

I wear a tactical fishing vest so I’m not a dip shit….right?…. 🤣

That's what's known as a "logical fallacy".

Hasty generalization​

A hasty generalization is a statement made after considering just one or a few examples rather than relying on more extensive research to back up the claim. It’s important to keep in mind that what constitutes sufficient research depends on the issue at hand and the statement being made about it.

I know a couple guys using these -very stiff. I’m not spending almost $150 on a fishing vest 😂

not when you can just put more washers or quarters in the gussets, right? [rofl]

What is the preferred cover garment for competition? Serious question.

Anything that covers your firearm and ammo carriers when you stand upright with your arms parallal to the ground extending out to the side.

That is, while standing, raise your arms out to your sides so that they're straight out. If any of your gear is visible, your cover garment isn't sufficient.

Many, if not most, IDPA shooters use some sort of "shooting vest", which is modeled upon a fishing vest, but optimized for the game.

Those who carry IWB, including appendix, typically just use a shirt, often a t-shirt.

I cut the sleeves and hood off of a sweatshirt, removed the drawstrings, (yeah - they can get caught in things including my trigger guard), and tossed a couple challenge coins in the pockets for weight.

I've shot matches wearing a raincoat. Not the fastest garment to clear, but it beats getting soaked.

Geeze, that's an ugly-ass vest; people actually wear that in their daily lives?

The picture with the patches on the back makes me want to see some metalheads compete in their "battle jackets"
No, they don’t wear that in their everyday lives anymore than they carry a Glock 34 in a vertical OWB holster.

Geeze, that's an ugly-ass vest; people actually wear that in their daily lives?

The picture with the patches on the back makes me want to see some metalheads compete in their "battle jackets"

Best way to think about it: It's an appliance that is used as a token to comply with IDPA's garbage rules. Although if I was artistic I'd have a lot of fun with that vest, theres a lot of room for patches and stuff on that thing unless they have a rule against that. I'd make like a patch that showed like a church and the address was 1911 and it had like a lawn sign out front that said "Wilson Congregational Church of IDPA" and then id have to make some cartoon patch that somehow makes fun of FTDR or something as well at the same time. [rofl] theres no way you could really withstand that kind of torture without simultaneously having some fun with it.

Fact is none of us are cooler than we think we are. A number of years ago during one of the ammo scares I was shooting my g21 a lot. 45 was readily available and affordable around me. Well one day as I finish up at the range I take my unloaded G21 put it in the holster and throw it in my gun bag. I get home put it in my safe. About two weeks later I'm going through my safe looking for something and I take the 21 out. Sure enough my thumb accidentally rubs across the loaded chamber indicator. Now I'm not going to the range it was just in my way of what I was looking for. For a moment I can't fathom as to why the loaded chamber indicator is "popped" on my unloaded gun. I check it again and sure enough its popped. I "know" the gun is unloaded. So I drop the magazine and sure enough its full and there's a round in the chamber. Nothing happened no harm no foul but holy sh*t that could have been a major disaster. I learned real quick that I'm not as good as I thought I was.

When you are done at the range with a gun you are going to transport unloaded, I suggest you do the unload and show clear process. Drop mag, cycle slide a couple times, lock open slide, check chamber, close slide, point at berm, pull trigger.

I’ve caught myself once with a gun in a state that I did not expect. When that happened, I stopped, thought about what I’d done (and not done), figured out what went wrong, and committed myself again to not taking shortcuts.

Best way to think about it: It's an appliance that is used as a token to comply with IDPA's garbage rules. Although if I was artistic I'd have a lot of fun with that vest, theres a lot of room for patches and stuff on that thing unless they have a rule against that. I'd make like a patch that showed like a church and the address was 1911 and it had like a lawn sign out front that said "Wilson Congregational Church of IDPA" and then id have to make some cartoon patch that somehow makes fun of FTDR or something as well at the same time. [rofl] theres no way you could really withstand that kind of torture without simultaneously having some fun with it.

Either MA state or NER, guy came to the line with a patch on the front of his vest. It looked like one of those convention stickers "HELLO I'm so and so", only his said "HELLO, I'm doing the best I can".

Ugh. More club rules?
Sadly, I hear there seems to be some concern about liability, and/or "not going first."

No, they don’t wear that in their everyday lives anymore than they carry a Glock 34 in a vertical OWB holster.
Makes sense. Really, I was making fun of the website description, but I understand hope it might come across otherwise.

I'm on board. Now I want a bunch of us to make "having fun with it" vests to wear to events and such. Maybe for meet ups? [rofl]

FTDR?

I'm on board. Now I want a bunch of us to make "having fun with it" vests to wear to events and such. Maybe for meet ups? [rofl]

FTDR?

FTDR = Failure To Do Right - a collection of crap grade penalties in IDPA for doing things that nobody cares about in any other shooting sport, like dropping a magazine with ammo still in it on the ground, failure to use cover etc. It generally describes a melange of behaviors in IDPA that you get punished for becuase its "tactically unsound" or whatever. (the cover thing is kind of legit, a lot of the rest of it is just mindless irritation).

Actually another good one would be like a cartoon guy trying to shoot with a vest on while hes carrying a bag of flour and its just massively f***ing spilling out of the bag or something. (I dunno if they do it anymore, but a common IDPA trope was you would have a stage where there was a bag of flour and you had to pick it up and carry it like a baby (the bag of flour is supposed to be a placeholder for an actual human baby) while drawing and shooting with your other hand or something and obviously if you dropped it or punctured the bag somehow you got dinged for it somehow, probably another FTDR... [rofl] )

Actually another good one would be like a cartoon guy trying to shoot with a vest on while hes carrying a bag of flour and its just massively f***ing spilling out of the bag or something. (I dunno if they do it anymore, but a common IDPA trope was you would have a stage where there was a bag of flour and you had to pick it up and carry it like a baby while drawing and shooting with your other hand or something and obviously if you dropped it or punctured the bag somehow you got dinged for it somehow, probably another FTDR... [rofl] )

Not legal anymore. With 2022 rules you can't force a shooter to perform non-shooting actions.

FTDR = Failure To Do Right - a collection of crap grade penalties in IDPA for doing things that nobody cares about in any other shooting sport, like dropping a magazine with ammo still in it on the ground, failure to use cover etc. It generally describes a melange of behaviors in IDPA that you get punished for becuase its "tactically unsound" or whatever. (the cover thing is kind of legit, a lot of the rest of it is just mindless irritation).

Actually another good one would be like a cartoon guy trying to shoot with a vest on while hes carrying a bag of flour and its just massively f***ing spilling out of the bag or something. (I dunno if they do it anymore, but a common IDPA trope was you would have a stage where there was a bag of flour and you had to pick it up and carry it like a baby (the bag of flour is supposed to be a placeholder for an actual human baby) while drawing and shooting with your other hand or something and obviously if you dropped it or punctured the bag somehow you got dinged for it somehow, probably another FTDR... [rofl] )
Clearly, the bag of flour is being tossed at the target as a "distraction" :)

Not legal anymore. With 2022 rules you can't force a shooter to perform non-shooting actions.

wow... I did not know that, in a cruel sense of irony I thought stuff like that was actually one of the more interesting parts of idpa, was weird stage designs like that kind of
shit.

FTDR is mostly applied when you piss off the Safety Officer and he/she can't find any other rule you broke so they ding you with this.

I'm guessing you haven't shot IDPA in a while? There were a couple of good things that came out with the 2022 rules. One is that you can no longer be forced to perform a non-shooting action, (such as carrying a bag of flour).

Dropping a mag with ammo in it is good for a standard procedural, 3 second penalty - but new in 2022 is that you can reload with a round in your chamber, don't need to go to slidelock.

FTDR stands for Failure To Do Right - and it's a 20 second penalty "assessed for gross unsportsmanlike conduct". Swearing at an SO, throwing a tantrum, circumventing the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Issued by the SO, MUST be approved by the Match Director.

FP stands for Flagrant Penalty and adds 10 seconds. It's typically done when users violate the rules resulting in more than a 3 second competitive advantage. Examples are failing to follow the shooting actions set in the COF, deliberately breaking a rule resulting in more than a 3 second advantage. Things like shooting a Strong Hand Only or Weak Hand Only stage freestyle, loading mags to greater than division capacity, not going prone when required. Like a FTDR, FP must be approved by MD.

I'm guessing you haven't shot IDPA in a while? There were a couple of good things that came out with the 2022 rules. One is that you can no longer be forced to perform a non-shooting action, (such as carrying a bag of flour).

Dropping a mag with ammo in it is good for a standard procedural, 3 second penalty - but new in 2022 is that you can reload with a round in your chamber, don't need to go to slidelock.

FTDR stands for Failure To Do Right - and it's a 20 second penalty "assessed for gross unsportsmanlike conduct". Swearing at an SO, throwing a tantrum, circumventing the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Issued by the SO, MUST be approved by the Match Director.

FP stands for Flagrant Penalty and adds 10 seconds. It's typically done when users violate the rules resulting in more than a 3 second competitive advantage. Examples are failing to follow the shooting actions set in the COF, deliberately breaking a rule resulting in more than a 3 second advantage. Things like shooting a Strong Hand Only or Weak Hand Only stage freestyle, loading mags to greater than division capacity, not going prone when required. Like a FTDR, FP must be approved by MD.

shows you what little I remember, I thought you could get FTDR for dropping the mag, but its not that one, I guess.

I didnt realize they didnt allow "tac" reloads.

shows you what little I remember, I thought you could get FTDR for dropping the mag, but its not that one, I guess.

I didnt realize they didnt allow "tac" reloads.

You can do a "tac" reload, where you remove a magazine with ammo in it and replace it with a full one, BUT - the one you remove must be "stowed", where stowed is defined as being placed in an ammo carrier, pocket, or waistband. Cannot "stow" in armpit, mouth, hand.

I know a couple of guys who are really good at tactical reloads, they'll do them on stages where they have some distance between arrays. I suck at it. I'll just shoot to empty mag, drop the empty and reload. But that's just one of the reasons I'm ranked as "SS" rather than "Expert"; I suck at other aspects of this game too.

Figuratively speaking. Another term would be stepping on one's organ. Check out instagram.com/practical.shooting.insights for some info about goings on.
I was thinking that "foot" was being too kind to USPSA. Not quite head, but more serious than foot. I'm well aware of the current kerfluffle. I'm also not surprised that a certain "howler monkey" is in the thick of it. [rofl2]

Last edited:
I was thinking that "foot" was being too kind to USPSA. Not quite head, but more serious than foot. I'm well aware of the current kerfluffle. I'm also not surprised that a certain "howler monkey" is in the thick of it. [rofl2]

I think the phrase you're looking for is "stepped on dick with golf shoes"

Back
Top Bottom