• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA shoots self in leg today?

Never a rush to re-holster. I remember a story (possibly with security cam footage but it’s been a long time) about a female cop who was or had been trained to draw, fire 2 rds and holster up at the range.

She responded IRL to a call and for whatever reason felt the need to do just that, some type of altercation with a suspect and she drew, fired her 2 rds and re-holstered, just like she was trained to do. Except that it was dark in that area/alley and she missed. The suspect then tackled her, took her gun and killed her with it.

Never a rush.

Anyone that laughs at you for being careful is an idiot.
Oh, he’s referring to me, and I’ll argue all day long about how looking a gun into a holster is amateurish. Not sure why anyone thinks it requires doing so quickly, doing it safety is what’s important. Whatevs.

Edit: I don’t know about competition, maybe it makes sense to do so there. Either way, re-holstering should take as much time as necessary to do so safety- I think that’s pretty universal.

Last edited:
Similarly competition in the action shooting sports can be considered gun handling/shooting skills fitness. It is not training, but that does not mean it is useless as part of the picture.

Exactly. What i tell people is, remember this is a GAME. It will not train you for a real life situation. If you shoot it long enough combined with other shooting disciplines it should give you the real life gun handling and shooting skills to hopefully survive and do OK in a real life situation.

Exactly. What i tell people is, remember this is a GAME. It will not train you for a real life situation. If you shoot it long enough combined with other shooting disciplines it should give you the real life gun handling and shooting skills to hopefully survive and do OK in a real life situation.

Yup. The analogy I often use is that it's like driving a car. When you first start, you have to think about everything - adjusting the mirrors, putting your seatbelt on, put the brake on, put the clutch in (if you have one), put the car in gear, take your foot off the brake, blah, blah, blah. After you've done it enough - you just think about where you're going, everything else is automatic.

When I shoot in a match, no matter what match it is - I simply think about where I'm going to move and what targets I'm going to hit from each spot. I don't think about drawing my gun, aiming it, reloading, (other than figuring out my reloading points when I plan the stage), or anything else. That's all automatic.

I shot a plate match a month or two ago. .22 rimfire pistol, and I was shooting for time. 7 plates plus a tiebreaker. I had a misfire on the 3rd plate, I didn't think about it, I just racked it out and kept shooting. 6.21 seconds for the run. My buddy Joe beat me by 7/10s of a second - and if I hadn't had the misfire I'm pretty sure I would have beaten him. Point is - it barely slowed me down.

Hopefully, if I ever need to use one of my guns in a defensive situation - these skills will be as burned in as I *think* they are.

Got an email from the Sanford club:

All,

You are recieving this because you have, at some point this year, you signed up to shoot a match at Sanford-Springvale Fish & Game Protective. I promise this is the only time you will recieve an email like this from us.

Two things I would like to present to everyone; 1) there is interest in hosting an USPSA NROI RO course sometime in November/December of 2022 and 2) the club at large is looking a hosting at least one Stop The Bleed / TCCC course in 2022 into early 2023. Depending on response and interest we will scale accordingly. If either of these are things you are interested in please fill out the interest form

Anyone that laughs at you for being careful is an idiot.
I don't have an owb, I practice with my Iwb (I don't shoot competitions).

If I'm reholstering my holster comes off and meets the pistol. Yes it takes longer but nothings getting caught and I'm not blowing my leg off if the gun is pointed down range. Holstered firearm then goes back on the belt.

For any sport you will be drawing a gun and have to reload on the move, dress comfortable.

What you don't want, and I have seen, are jackets that need to move to the side to draw or holster.

Wear a jacket if it is cold while you are waiting, but take it off for shooting.

USPSA is a lot of fun, specially if you only have 10 round mags, you need to plan your stage and when to reload.
I wear well fitting golf clothes. On cold days, a base layer with my golf shirt over it, everything tucked. If I need an additional layer, it comes off when it is time to shoot. This is for USPSA and Steel Challenge.

I don't have an owb, I practice with my Iwb (I don't shoot competitions).

If I'm reholstering my holster comes off and meets the pistol. Yes it takes longer but nothings getting caught and I'm not blowing my leg off if the gun is pointed down range. Holstered firearm then goes back on the belt.
That would drive me nuts removing my holster every time I wanted to reholster the gun lol. Practicing your draw must be time consuming.
But hey to each their own of course

Back
Top Bottom