• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA: Rilfe Match. What do I need?

So the evilness of this forum and HSC has me shooting a few uspsa pistol matches, now a uspsa number and funny looking holsters and belts ( and the urge to build an open gun! ). Come to find out the next ( last? ) match of the season at HSC is a rifle match.

What do I need? I don't own an AR ( only a stripped reciever at the moment )

What do the rounds consider of, how many rounds / mags per stage?

Are the rules for divisions the same as the 3 gun rules?

Is a 18" barrel really needed for the distances shot here in the northeast? I found a DPMS 3g1 for a little over $1k

Last edited:
If you don't have an AR, but, have a semi auto, such as a Garand, M1A, FAL etc you have something to shoot. An AR is the dominant rifle in the action shooting game, except in the Heavy divisions, where a .308 is the minimum cartridge.
A couple 30 round mags will be enough for a typical stage. It's best to have a few, in case you have a malfunction, or drop one. As for ammo, if steel targets are used, bimetal bullets are banned. Test the bullet with a magnet. No steel targets, it should be okay. It's best to have regular jacketed bullets to be safe. Fortunately ammo is becoming more available.
The main advantage of an 18" barrel is they normally have a rifle length gas system, which has a smoother recoil impulse. Balance is more important than barrel length.
Most folks use an optic of some sort. A non magnified optic is legal for USPSA Limited rifle, as is real iron sights.
Link to rules.
http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigun Rules 1-1-2013final.pdf

I noticed on the link provided that is says in bold " experienced IPSC shooters only". I've shot pistol matches on 3 different occasions but not rifle....

I noticed on the link provided that is says in bold " experienced IPSC shooters only". I've shot pistol matches on 3 different occasions but not rifle....
If you have shot several matches you are already familiar with the commands and routine. Your good to go.

You were on my squad for your first USPSA match. You're a safe shooter, and pay attention. Just keep that up, bring your nice new AR and have fun.

I'll be going to the New Bedford rifle match on the 24th since those guys put on awesome matches. If you have FACTORY BRASS CASED ammo you can use my AR. I run a Stag 3g with a "cheap" $200 red dot. The gun has a rifle length gas, 18" barrel, Miculek comp, and I put on a carbon fiber tube to save half a pound. You could see how an 18" gun handles if you are on the fence still. It's USPSA multi gun limited compliant. I would just want your name off your license or something in case you decide to throw my gun in anger or blow it up somehow.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk316/compulsionNRA/Gun Share/Stag3gwithreddot.jpg
I've got (2) 30 rounders that are MA compliant as well. If you have cargo pants the mags will work in those for rifle.

Last edited:
I'll be going to the New Bedford rifle match on the 24th since those guys put on awesome matches. If you have FACTORY BRASS CASED ammo you can use my AR. I run a Stag 3g with a "cheap" $200 red dot. The gun has a rifle length gas, 18" barrel, Miculek comp, and I put on a carbon fiber tube to save half a pound. You could see how an 18" gun handles if you are on the fence still. It's USPSA multi gun limited compliant. I would just want your name off your license or something in case you decide to throw my gun in anger or blow it up somehow.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk316/compulsionNRA/Gun Share/Stag3gwithreddot.jpg
I've got (2) 30 rounders that are MA compliant as well. If you have cargo pants the mags will work in those for rifle.

DRB has picked up or at least ordered an AR. He was inquiring about a Leupold 1.25-5X scope in another thread.

DRB has picked up or at least ordered an AR. He was inquiring about a Leupold 1.25-5X scope in another thread.

Yes, my dpms 3g1 and Leupold AR Mod-1 are now sighted in and ready for Sundays match.

My extra magazine and mag pouch unfortunately will NOT make it here in time, so I will have to get creative

Edit: this setup should be legal for "Tactical division" correct?

Last edited:
Yes, my dpms 3g1 and Leupold AR Mod-1 are now sighted in and ready for Sundays match.

My extra magazine and mag pouch unfortunately will NOT make it here in time, so I will have to get creative

Edit: this setup should be legal for "Tactical division" correct?

Yes, it's legal for Tactical division.
PM inbound

Yes, my dpms 3g1 and Leupold AR Mod-1 are now sighted in and ready for Sundays match. My extra magazine and mag pouch unfortunately will NOT make it here in time, so I will have to get creative Edit: this setup should be legal for "Tactical division" correct?
Nothing definitive yet, but I think the round counts will be kept lower this year. I'll know more after tonight's practice, but my suspicion is that anybody with a 30 round mag won't need to do a mag change. Oh, and probably 5 stages, longest shot about 50 yards.

Nothing definitive yet, but I think the round counts will be kept lower this year. I'll know more after tonight's practice, but my suspicion is that anybody with a 30 round mag won't need to do a mag change. Oh, and probably 5 stages, longest shot about 50 yards.
What time are the practices with the early sunset? Are the practices open to all???

Don, stage reset is what drags out the day, not how many rounds fired.

What time are the practices with the early sunset? Are the practices open to all???

HSC practices are now indoors due to the early sunset. Last week was the last outdoor practice, since this past weekend we set the clocks back. Since the indoor range can only handle pistols, no rifle practice tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the lower round counts are mostly to keep ammo cost down, not an attempt to make the day go faster.

The more rounds, the more targets to set up, score, and tape. And the more stages... Plus, with the cost and availability issues of ammo we thought we'd keep down the total number of rounds. I promise it won't be anything like the September Classifier Match, but we are going to make it a bit easier on ourselves this time. People are still tired from Area 7. - - - Updated - - -
I think the lower round counts are mostly to keep ammo cost down, not an attempt to make the day go faster.
I think it's a bit of both.

Last edited:
The more rounds, the more targets to set up, score, and tape. And the more stages... Plus, with the cost and availability issues of ammo we thought we'd keep down the total number of rounds. I promise it won't be anything like the September Classifier Match, but we are going to make it a bit easier on ourselves this time. People are still tired from Area 7. - - - Updated - - - I think it's a bit of both.

Will scoring be hit factor, or time plus? Practiscore does "Time Plus, Points" which is used by the major 3 gun matches. Scoring is done faster on the stages.

Will scoring be hit factor, or time plus? Practiscore does "Time Plus, Points" which is used by the major 3 gun matches. Scoring is done faster on the stages.
This will be scored like a typical IPSC/USPSA match. With the handhelds it really shouldn't be an issue with the time to score each shooter.

So the evilness of this forum and HSC has me shooting a few uspsa pistol matches, now a uspsa number and funny looking holsters and belts ( and the urge to build an open gun! ). Come to find out the next ( last? ) match of the season at HSC is a rifle match. What do I need? I don't own an AR ( only a stripped reciever at the moment ) What do the rounds consider of, how many rounds / mags per stage? Are the rules for divisions the same as the 3 gun rules? Is a 18" barrel really needed for the distances shot here in the northeast? I found a DPMS 3g1 for a little over $1k
Okay, a bit of an update from tonight's meeting, plus the usual stuff about our rifle matches: Expect 5 stages, with 30 or less rounds per stage. Scoring is per standard USPSA Rifle rules. This is *not* held under 3 Gun rules. Maximum distance is about 50 yards; most shots will be well under that. No pistol caliber rifles allowed. Minimum caliber (I believe) is .223/5.56, as per USPSA rules. No steel core ammo. We will be checking with a magnet. You should bring some kind of action block or safe flag to insert into the action to indicate the gun is safe. You should have shot at least a few IPSC matches already. This is *not* the match to enter if you're new to IPSC. Sorry, safety is our primary concern here. If I think of something else, I'll post it. Oh yes, on behalf of Gary, let me just say PLEASE DON'T COME LATE! We have to close off updating the handhelds by 9:10. After that, ...

Last edited:
No steel core ammo. We will be checking with a magnet.

What's the reason for the steel core prohibition, given that the match uses paper targets? There is no commercial ammo available for either AK variant (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) without a mild steel core that I am aware of, so this rule effectively eliminates any AK rifle from participation.

Even with AR's, more and more people are switching to steel cased .223 ammo (Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf etc) due to availability and cost, and these all have mild bi-metal cores that do attract a magnet.

Is there any way this rule would be reconsidered given outdoor shooting at paper targets?

Thanks

What's the reason for the steel core prohibition, given that the match uses paper targets? There is no commercial ammo available for either AK variant (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) without a mild steel core that I am aware of, so this rule effectively eliminates any AK rifle from participation. Even with AR's, more and more people are switching to steel cased .223 ammo (Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf etc) due to availability and cost, and these all have mild bi-metal cores that do attract a magnet. Is there any way this rule would be reconsidered given outdoor shooting at paper targets? Thanks
There will be both paper and steel targets, so any steel core rounds are prohibited. Sorry, not trying to pick on AK shooters or anyone else, but any steel core rounds will severely damage our steel targets. We've had it happen already. This is pretty much a standard restriction at any USPSA rifle match; they usually mix in a few steel targets, just like at the pistol matches.

What's the reason for the steel core prohibition, given that the match uses paper targets? There is no commercial ammo available for either AK variant (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) without a mild steel core that I am aware of, so this rule effectively eliminates any AK rifle from participation.

Even with AR's, more and more people are switching to steel cased .223 ammo (Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf etc) due to availability and cost, and these all have mild bi-metal cores that do attract a magnet.

Is there any way this rule would be reconsidered given outdoor shooting at paper targets?

Thanks

I dissected a Wolf 223 bullet. There was no steel core, the bullet had a steel jacket with a tiny bit of plating. This steel jacket attracts a magnet, obviously, and will damage steel targets, thus the ban. I'm also worried that such a bullet might damage my barrel. I don't see how the thin plating can protect the barrel at 3000 fps.

When I shot this match a few years ago they didn't seem to care if I shot steel cased ammo in stages with no steel. Hopefully it is the same this year.

When I shot this match a few years ago they didn't seem to care if I shot steel cased ammo in stages with no steel. Hopefully it is the same this year.

I don't recommend bringing any steel jacket ammo. It can't be mixed up, and you won't have to worry about driving home early because you weren't allowed to shoot prohibited ammo.
Go back a page and read the info from "The Other Don" concerning the match.

To echo what Dan S. said, I really wouldn't recommend it. Technically, you can do it, as we only check on the stages with steel, but it's way too easy to get one steel round mixed into the lead ones, and then you've ruined a steel target. Plus, it does no good for people who can't get the lead ammo anyway, just steel cored ammo. We'd greatly appreciate everyone just leaving the steel core ammo home. Thanks.

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!!

Thanks Dan S for letting me borrow some mags and pouches. Hopefully I can make it down to New Bedford in a few weeks

Back
Top Bottom