• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA questions...

Ink

SO, i have decided to do some local matches because i can't allow someone to have that much fun without Ink there!
I will be attending the New Bedford uspsa match next weekend and it will be my first pistol competition of any kind. I just received my uspsa membership in the mail today and after reading the rule book i have a few simple questions..

1. There is no "major" in the production division?? (i'll be shooting .45)
2. Can an individual compete in 2 different divisions?
3. how many rounds should i bring?
4. will there be people on site to show Ink what's up so i know whats going on?? please?

thanks for any help and wish me luck!

Production is always scored minor. It doesn't matter if you are actually shooting major.

You have to declare a single division for the match during registration.

Twice as much as you need [smile]

4. will there be people on site to show Ink what's up so i know whats going on?? please?
I'm sure if you let them know you are new someone will gladly show you the ropes.

Good luck. Just be aware: Any form of action pistol shooting may be habit forming [smile]

I was reading through the rule book, and have a question about movement, (hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread Ink).

I am planning to shoot this year too, I have a Sig P226, when moving and not shooting, does the hammer have to be de-cocked?

It looks like this just applies to holstering, but wanted to be sure,
For double action self-loaders and revolvers the hammer must be down.

I was reading through the rule book, and have a question about movement, (hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread Ink).

I am planning to shoot this year too, I have a Sig P226, when moving and not shooting, does the hammer have to be de-cocked?

It looks like this just applies to holstering, but wanted to be sure,

You do not have to decock when you move, but you do need your finger outside the trigger guard. The hammer on double actions must be down when the gun is holstered, except for DA/SA guns (like the CZ or Taurus PT92) that allow cocked and locked as an option on the DA. BUT... if you are shooting in production division, the hammer must be down on all guns, including DA/SA guns that provide for cocked and locked.'

You are not required to engage the dingus when holstering a DA with the hammer down.

SO, i have decided to do some local matches because i can't allow someone to have that much fun without Ink there!
I will be attending the New Bedford uspsa match next weekend and it will be my first pistol competition of any kind. I just received my uspsa membership in the mail today and after reading the rule book i have a few simple questions..

Bring 200 rounds. 150 will be close, 200 gives you plenty.

Your shooting 45. If it is a 1911, your can not shoot Production. You will be either L10 or Single stack depending on mag capacity

Whenever your turn arrives, make sure you tell the RO your new. They tend to give you a little help that way.

To the other question Rob answered, I would only add that although you do not have to decock to move, make sure your finger is out of the trigger guard or you will be subject to match DQ

You do not have to decock when you move, but you do need your finger outside the trigger guard. The hammer on double actions must be down when the gun is holstered, except for DA/SA guns (like the CZ or Taurus PT92) that allow cocked and locked as an option on the DA. BUT... if you are shooting in production division, the hammer must be down on all guns, including DA/SA guns that provide for cocked and locked.'

You are not required to engage the dingus when holstering a DA with the hammer down.

Bring 200 rounds. 150 will be close, 200 gives you plenty.

Your shooting 45. If it is a 1911, your can not shoot Production. You will be either L10 or Single stack depending on mag capacity

Whenever your turn arrives, make sure you tell the RO your new. They tend to give you a little help that way.

To the other question Rob answered, I would only add that although you do not have to decock to move, make sure your finger is out of the trigger guard or you will be subject to match DQ

Thank you for clarifying! [cheers]

For our matches at New Bedford, we normally plan on 5 stages, each in the 20-28 round range. Figure you'll be shooting about 125 rounds, give or take. I always bring twice as much as I think I'll need. So I would strongly suggest you bring at least 200, if not 250 or 300 (you never know when you might need to re-shoot a stage, or end up dumping a lot more ammo on a piece of steel than you ever would have thought you might, or when your buddy runs short.

When you register (between 9am and 9:20), just tell us you're new and we'll try to pair you up with someone who can help answer questions along the way. Ask plenty of questions - everyone on the range was a newbie at one point and they all (almost all) are very willing to help new shooters.

Number one rule: Be safe!
Number two rule: Have fun!

Awesome! I'll prob bring 300 rounds. I'll be shooting my Glock 21. I shoot that weapon better than i can shoot anything else.
Can't wait!! I had some good practice today so ..... yeah... i can't wait!!!!
is it here yet?

I usually bring no less than 250 rounds to any match. I've never shot NB for pistol, though, only for rifle. I may make the trip down this weekend.

don't be shy.... say hi to Ink. I have only bitten a couple of people.....

wait.. so bringing extra ammo must mean.... so if a COF requires 28 shots that doesn't mean you can only shoot 28 rounds.... so if a target requires one to the head and 2 center mass and you miss the head shot you can shoot a 4th round ??

maybe a better example... if a COF is 28 shots and you have 40 rounds on your person you can use all 40 rounds if you miss 12 times? (even though it would be much better to HIT your target and not waste all that time and ammo)?

if so, that makes sooo much more sense. ^.^

i didn't see this in the rule book but i need to read it a couple more times...

on comstock course you can shoot as much as you want. on virginia count, you can only shoot as many as the stage brief allows. The people there will explain it.

I always carry over 2x the number of rounds the stage requires. They say you can't miss fast enough to win... but you can

Ask a lot of question when you are there, everyone is happy to help new shooters. Just don't bother the guy on deck or that just shot. Help tape and reset steel.
Go slow and be safe and you will have a great time

Read the rulebook before you shoot - it's important.

Looks like the RO certifications from the recent course at Harvard have gone through (assuming everyone has done their test). Nice!

... so if a target requires one to the head and 2 center mass and you miss the head shot you can shoot a 4th round ??

Yes (on Comstock stages, which are the majority), but this is the least of the reasons to bring extra ammo. More important reasons are:

1. If there is a range equipment failure (for example, a mover not responding to the hit which should activate it), you may be requried to re-shoot a stage.
  2. You will want to reload at convenient times (for example, while running). This will mean dropping partially full mags (unlike IDPA, there is no penalty for this)
  3. You should always start a stage with at least one more full mag than you need. If you experience a gun problem, you can drop the mag in your gun while clearing the jam, and not spend extra time salvaging rounds in the gun.

Last edited:
Being new to the sport with a total of one class and two matches under my belt the thing I want to point out is this: safety. it's more important than anything else with your equipment not only because it means making sure no one gets hurt but also because even the slightest safety infraction during the match will get you disqualified for the day. this can be something as big as an accidental discharge or "breaking the 180" and pointing your firearm in an unsafe direction or it can be something that even a safety consious shooter can overlook; like a momentary sweep of the muzzle past a body part. I was told to imagine a laser coming from my muzzle and told anytime that laser intersected with a part of my body, even a fingertip, it would be DQ time. this is especially important if there's a stage that you need to open a door for, very easy to just reach across your body with your weak hand and open the door and end up with your hand/arm somewhere downrange of your muzzle.

don't touch your gun unless you're at the safe table or the RO tells you to; don't have your ammo at the safe table.

I'm sure one of these guys will squad up with you and show you the ropes, just watch what the other shooters are doing and have fun; it really is a good time

; don't have your ammo at the safe table.

USPSA RULES said:
2.4.2 Dummy ammunition (including practice or training rounds, snap caps
and empty cases), loaded magazines, loaded speed loading devices and
live rounds must not be handled in a Safety Area under any circumstances
(see Rule 10.5.12).

Ammunition is allowed. It is "Handling" of ammunition, loaded mags, loaded speed loaders, loaded moonclips etc that is not allowed. Slight difference, but a difference all the same. If the ammo is in your bag and the gun is in your bag, you don't touch the ammo.

Being new to the sport with a total of one class and two matches under my belt the thing I want to point out is this: safety.

One thing you will find out about USPSA, IPSC and, I expect IDPA, is that you can go a match anywhere, and be confident that everyone will be following proper safety procedures. I can go to a match with people I have never met, and feel comfortable proper procedures will be followed. On the other hand, if I'm at a public rental range (rarely if ever), I find I cannot assume that the other persons on the line will follow, or even be familiar with, proper safety procedures.

One thing you will find out about USPSA, IPSC and, I expect IDPA, is that you can go a match anywhere, and be confident that everyone will be following proper safety procedures. I can go to a match with people I have never met, and feel comfortable proper procedures will be followed. On the other hand, if I'm at a public rental range (rarely if ever), I find I cannot assume that the other persons on the line will follow, or even be familiar with, proper safety procedures.

In the latter case, I usually assume the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom