USPSA @ New Bedford - Saturday 11/26 – NIGHT SHOOT

Well that was an AWESOME shoot!

The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford ran an experimental match tonight - a night shoot. It was run as a USPSA Pistol match, consisting of 4 stages. There was NO classifier stage. The match started exactly at 5pm with the requirement to be done by 7:30pm (out of courtesy to our neighbors), which is why it was kept to a small match. Match attendees were either committee members or folks who are involved in running matches at other clubs. We wanted experienced shooters who also had experience running stages. This is why it was not published before hand - please do not take offence if you were not invited - we needed to keep this small for the first time.

We setup a generator for some minimal lighting around the safe tables, which also provided some ambient light around the walkways behind the pits. Everyone had some sort of personal illumination device (besides the light used during the COF) so they some light to load mags by, paste and reset targets, scoring, etc. These extra lights were NOT allowed during the course of fire.

We allowed two options for illumination during the COF:
1) gun-mounted lights
Example: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...picatinny-or-glock-style-rails-aluminum-matte

2) Hand-held lights
Example: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ith-batteries-2-cr123a-lithium-aluminum-black

To address differences in equipment (guns and whether or not you can mount a light to it or not, and holsters that are compatible or not with a gun w/ mounted light), we balanced it out in the following manor:

1) Gun mounted lights allowed and handguns start from a holster that can properly hold the firearm/light combo - no penalty
2) Gun mounted lights allowed, if no compatible holster for gun/light combo, start at the low-ready with light already mounted - 1 penalty per stage that has a 'holster' start.
3) Hand-held lights allowed, light can start in the weak hand, but gun starts from the holster - no penalty
*** The light is always 'OFF' at the start signal***

Not-allowed: In no way did we allow a gun to start from the holster, be drawn, and then attach a gun-mounted light after the draw while on the clock.

The only rule that we deviated from was allowing the attachment of lights to the gun (though that it allowed for Open division, per the rule book), which also impacted the 2 ounce over weight for Production.

We recognized all USPSA divisions, though we only had Open, Limited, Limited 10 and Production. Yes, there were a couple of folks who shoot an open gun with a red-dot. They were very cool to watch in the dark, with the muzzle blast that comes out of a compensator - very cool!

Things ran really well and we were done well before 7:30pm.

Results posted: http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/results/RGNB_2011_11_26.txt

Hopefully this will become an annual event.

Awesome. How many of the production folks had a gun mounted flashlight/holster... that would seem to be the way to go. You guys must have some great neighbors out that way!

Looked like a really great shoot!!! Glad you had a good night for it and looks like you all had a blast!!

I wanna play!

How dark was it? Could you see your own hands in front of you? could you walk around the pits without tripping?

I shot a night match in Utah this past summer. It started at 9pm and finished around 2am (we were way out in the boonies, so no neighbors to worry about). They had six stages that were a hybrid IDPA style. They had a mix of no light and low light scenarios. It was a lot of fun and I've been wondering if there was a way to pull it off our here. Glad to hear this went well and hope it will be an open event in future years.

[sad2] That was my score they were reading out! It was a totally new experience for me and for awhile I felt like I was a part of the Blair Witch Project! Yes, it was dark! I couldn't focus my light when shooting, and when I did focus my light, I couldn't find my front sights! On that stage, the air was so heavy from the dampness, I was enveloped in a cloud of smoke after my first shot and couldn't see a thing. I was basically shooting at where I thought I remembered the targets were. Also, shooting an entire match strong hand only was a stretch for me. But, would I do it again? H$ll yeah! It was AWESOME! Way to go New Bedford folks. You know how to put on a good show!

That was a great match, thanks to Dave and everybody that made it happen. Unfortunately, my weapon mounted light broke in the middle of the second stage and had to use a cheap handheld maglite for the rest of the match.
I think we should have night shoots every Saturday before a Sunday USPSA match since the targets are already set up [smile]

That sounds awesome. If you run one of these open to the public, I'll be there.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom