• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA club near Berwick, Maine??

My son, an avid USPSA shooter has move to Berwick Maine and we are looking for a club that he could practice at, and one that possibly has an active USPSA presence. We belong to Harvard currently and are looking for a similar setup.

Anyone aware of a club in the ares, either Maine or NH that fits the bill? Being a student with limited funds is putting the damper on a club that is a longer drive.

Thanks

Sig hosts monthly USPSA and IDPA matches just like Harvard does. The next match at Sig is July 20th.

On the 13th they are hosting the annual CERF Steel Challenge match. A fundraiser match to help the familys of injured / fallen soldiers.

There are at least 4 clubs within just a few miles of Berwick. North Berwick, South Berwick and Sanford are in Maine. Major Waldrens is in NH. NB has steel plate shoots twice a week. All those ranges allow shooting from a holster and if there aren't others on the line I have never had an issue with movement.

Last edited:
I live right in North Berwick, and am a member of the North Berwick club. They do falling plates, and they do USPSA type stuff in the indoor range with frangables. I am not sure if they do it outside doing the summer.

If he wants to check it out, he is free to head over there Wednesday nights at 5, and Sundays at I forget what time. Steve Rand is the Pres, and he also runs all the pistol shooting events.

Pelham Fish and Game, Pelham NH, was one of the original USPSA clubs in the New England area. They no longer have an active IPSC program, but the pits are still there.

My buddy that lives up north of Berwick said he shoots at Harvard, most of the time. He though Augusta might have some USPSA going on, too.

Driving an hour and a half plus, even ignoring the MA vs ME laws, is financially beyond him to do regularly.

There is nothing illegal about driving down from Maine to shoot a match in MA. One just needs to make sure he / she transports firearms properly (in compliance with MA law) and that any state AWB / magazine laws are not violated while doing so. It is also a good idea to keep a copy of the match flier / information with them during their travels. There is no need to "ignore" any state laws while going to a match in another state.

There is nothing illegal about driving down from Maine to shoot a match in MA. One just needs to make sure he / she transports firearms properly (in compliance with MA law) and that any state AWB / magazine laws are not violated while doing so. It is also a good idea to keep a copy of the match flier / information with them during their travels. There is no need to "ignore" any state laws while going to a match in another state.

I believe to be in possession of a firearm without proper license at the terminus of your trip to Mass is rather illegal. I may be wrong, but I would double check that.

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

I believe to be in possession of a firearm without proper license at the terminus of your trip to Mass is rather illegal. I may be wrong, but I would double check that.

Wrong.

MGL Chapter 140, Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

Wrong.

MGL Chapter 140, Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

Yeah, I should have followed the advice that I gave a new Green member yesterday.....Think before you post, and Google is your friend....Thanks

Edit: first things first, thanks for all the offers to show him around. He got a job where he is working a double every Saturday and works Sunday so his time has been somewhat occupied. He starts a second job on Monday (good for him!) Hoping I can get him to one of the Berwick clubs in a couple weeks when I go up to visit him.

MFP: Dont know if you remember but he is still wearing the inner and outer belt you generously donated to him a while back. He upgraded his mag pouches and got a holster from comp-tac.

Problem wouldnt be going to a USPSA monthly shoot (which I hope he does now and then), it would be in him trying to go to a Wednesday night practice at Harvard for example. Round trip cost of just gas wouldnt be practical for him. PLUS it is not an organized competition, at least in my mind, if you get a PO that wants to make an example of him.

And by ignoring the MA vs ME thing I meant the byzantine change in laws from one state to another WRT bringing in a post ban, non compliant AR or regular cap mags, secure transport / storage, etc. Both of us are aware that you need to be AWB compliant if he brings anything to this state.

You also need some sort of carry license. Which many free states dont require. A non resident from Utah seems to fit the bill though.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Last edited:
MFP: Dont know if you remember but he is still wearing the inner and outer belt you generously donated to him a while back. He upgraded his mag pouches and got a holster from comp-tac.

Problem wouldnt be going to a USPSA monthly shoot (which I hope he does now and then), it would be in him trying to go to a Wednesday night practice at Harvard for example. Round trip cost of just gas wouldnt be practical for him. PLUS it is not an organized competition, at least in my mind, if you get a PO that wants to make an example of him.

And by ignoring the MA vs ME thing I meant the byzantine change in laws from one state to another WRT bringing in a post ban, non compliant AR or regular cap mags, secure transport / storage, etc. Both of us are aware that you need to be AWB compliant if he brings anything to this state.

You also need some sort of carry license. Which many free states dont require. A non resident from Utah seems to fit the bill though.

Thanks for everyones advice.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure you knew it is legal to travel to MA for sanctioned matches provided the host state's (in this case MA) laws governing such travel are met.

It is great to hear your son is still interested in the shooting games. I am glad some of the equipment I gave him is working out for him.

As always don't hesitate to hit me up for any questions. I am happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom