• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA at Hopkinton Saturday November 5th

SJan

NES Member
The Hopkinton heavy hitters next match will be on November 5th. We will be doing something different, a la Craig Phillips/ Pelham, with 2 classifier stages and 4 exciting large / medium stages. This is definitely our last pistol match of the 2016 season so come out and help us finish strong!

As usual, we could use some help with staffing, If you are a certified RO willing to run a squad or can run the Nook full time that's $10 off and greatly appreciated. Just let us know at registration or contact me or ahead of time.
Setup is Friday afternoon starting around 2pm and extra hands are always welcome. Match setup help gets $10 off match fee!

What: 6 stage USPSA match, including 2 classifier stages
Where: 95 Lumber Street, Hopkinton MA (look for the big granite sign)
When: Sat November 5th 9am first shot, registration opens around 8am
Why: Because it's really fun
How Much: match fee is $20, Juniors fee is $10

Spectators and new shooters always welcome, just let us know it's your first match and we'll make sure someone helps you through the process so you have a safe and fun match. Membership in USPSA is encouraged but not required. Feel free to reply to the thread or PM me with any questions.
See you there

where can i find what the 6 stage match is, rules, guns, etc? never been to one of those (not even as spectator). But I am free next Saturday and Hopkinton ROCKS!

where can i find what the 6 stage match is, rules, guns, etc? never been to one of those (not even as spectator). But I am free next Saturday and Hopkinton ROCKS!

You can get all the rules by googling USPSA rulebook but honestly you're better off going to YouTube and searching for USPSA. There's a lot of videos up from our matches specifically and other matches around the country.

Gear: Any centerfire handgun 9mm to 45 caliber allowed. Full size guns work better but you can try out a match with smaller guns if that's all you have. depending on what gun you're using you'll want at least 3 mags, preferably more. If you're shooting something common like a Glock 17 there's a chance someone will have a loaner you can use. You need a holster that fully covers the trigger guard, preferably OWB, and a way to carry your mags. A sturdy belt, Eyes and ears, and 150-200 rounds of ammo round it out.

We practice on Weds nights so if you want to see what it's about before the match you can stop in, we should be at the indoor range starting around 5:30. If you want to give it a try but don't have the gear PM me and let me know what gun you have and I'll see if anyone has loaner gear.

Peter

I'm not going to be able to make the match on Saturday, but would be happy to leave my holster & mag pouches to loan out as long as another club member can make sure I get it them back.

The holster will work with a Glock 17 & 34 (should be fine with most), the mag pouches are for Glock double-stack magazines.

I'll be at practice Wednesday.

You can get all the rules by googling USPSA rulebook but honestly you're better off going to YouTube and searching for USPSA. There's a lot of videos up from our matches specifically and other matches around the country.

Gear: Any centerfire handgun 9mm to 45 caliber allowed. Full size guns work better but you can try out a match with smaller guns if that's all you have. depending on what gun you're using you'll want at least 3 mags, preferably more. If you're shooting something common like a Glock 17 there's a chance someone will have a loaner you can use. You need a holster that fully covers the trigger guard, preferably OWB, and a way to carry your mags. A sturdy belt, Eyes and ears, and 150-200 rounds of ammo round it out.

We practice on Weds nights so if you want to see what it's about before the match you can stop in, we should be at the indoor range starting around 5:30. If you want to give it a try but don't have the gear PM me and let me know what gun you have and I'll see if anyone has loaner gear.

Peter

All
fresr dtuff. Thank you! I may come spectate.

Try to go to a practice first before your first match. It will help you get a handle on the rules and help with the first stage jitters at your first match

The season is kind of winding down in the area, only a couple of local matches left and then we all have to wait for the excellent indoor series at MVGC which is a hard ticket to get sometimes due to he limited number they can support...I'll put in an early plug for our yearly Intro to USPSA class which we put on just before things get going again in the spring. A full weekend of USPSA info that starts at basic safety rules and finishes with a mock match so everyone can try out all the stuff they learned. If anyone wants to get into the sport it's a good way to come up to speed quickly.

Ok kids, let's try something new....or new for me at least, it's old hat to a bunch of the other stats gurus on the scene...match pre-registration can be found on the practiscore site: HERE.

Hope it's ok to post on this thread.

I have been wanting to start compete and will try next season. I actually watched a couple of matches and I came to one of the Wednesday practice. Unfortunately at that time my work schedule made it impossible to be there at that time.

What's the criteria of choosing a particular division to compete in for someone who is new to USPSA?

Hope it's ok to post on this thread.

I have been wanting to start compete and will try next season. I actually watched a couple of matches and I came to one of the Wednesday practice. Unfortunately at that time my work schedule made it impossible to be there at that time.

What's the criteria of choosing a particular division to compete in for someone who is new to USPSA?

Production division is for factory guns and 10 round mags. Limited is any gun with iron sights and no comp, max 140mm mag length. Open has 170mm mags, red dot sights and compensators. Single stack is for single stack 1911s. There is still a revolver division.

What do you have now for gear?

I shoot a CZ SP01 Shadow. No mods done other than couple of springs.

Last edited:
I shoot a CZ SP01 Shadow.

Then you already have an awesome gun for production division. The alternative would be Limited where you can load your mags full, with the big disadvantage of minor scoring which means you'll get fewer points for C/D hits compared with your competitors who are shooting .40 major.

Then you already have an awesome gun for production division. The alternative would be Limited where you can load your mags full, with the big disadvantage of minor scoring which means you'll get fewer points for C/D hits compared with your competitors who are shooting .40 major.

Then looks like production makes most sense. Can high cap mags be used and just load 10 rounds?

you can grow into it ?

That's a good point actually. Sometimes it's better to get it right the first time and go from there. I might just go with it. Doesn't take much to convince me to spend money when it comes to this.

I shoot a CZ SP01 Shadow. No mods done other than couple of springs.

One thing you need to practice a little and get used to is manually lowering the hammer on a hot chamber. Production division guns have to start with the hammer down so after loading a mag you'll need to gently let the hammer down before re-holstering. It's not that big a deal, I do it all the time with my SP01, but it gives some people the heebie jeebies

One thing you need to practice a little and get used to is manually lowering the hammer on a hot chamber. Production division guns have to start with the hammer down so after loading a mag you'll need to gently let the hammer down before re-holstering. It's not that big a deal, I do it all the time with my SP01, but it gives some people the heebie jeebies
I have always wondered about that and i have always meant to ask that question. I definitely need to practice that as I haven't had the need to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

(nearly) perfect day for a match...once the sun came up and put some radiation on things the temps got reasonable. Thanks to those that spent time with us today shooting and helping out and all that. Scores are up at USPSA.ORG and practiscore.com. Please let me know if anything is out of place!

Back
Top Bottom