• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA - American Firearms School 2008 schedule

Any info on dates for USPSA American Firearms School winter matches?

The uspsa-ne.org website isn't accepting 2008 dates yet, but the AFS events will be 1/13, 2/17 & 3/16.

Same as last 2 seasons, pre-registration and credit card pre-payment are required.
American Firearms School - (508) 695-5869

Especially when you consider that there will be no S&W winter USPSA/IPSC matches unless someone steps forward and volunteers to run them. S&W is willing to host the matches, but there is currently no group of USPSA shooters stepping forward to do so.

For anyone East of Marlboro, AFS is a much more economical alternative to the S&W matches.

There aren't any S&W USPSA matches scheduled this winter. They don't really compare either. The AFS matches are on a much smaller scale that the S&W matches were. The S&W/Westfield USPSA crew did a great job putting up some really tough stages. The AFS stages are a little on the light side due to the limitations of the range but are a fun time.

The AFS matches are on a much smaller scale that the S&W matches were. The S&W/Westfield USPSA crew did a great job putting up some really tough stages. The AFS stages are a little on the light side due to the limitations of the range but are a fun time.

True, Westfield ran a great match due, in no small part, to the greater scope of S&W's facilities.

All the more reason to keep the AFS matches running!

Totally different products. The S&W matches had 80-90 shooters, had a wide variety of stages and took the entire day. The AFS matches will have two larger stages, two small stages (one a classifier) and you'll be out by 12:30.

Do the AFS matches usually fill up early? I normally won't know if I'm free to shoot in a match until just a few days before so I never tried to sign up at AFS. Are there usually spots available a few days before the match?

-Cuz.

Historically, the matches fill up early but there are sometimes slots on the waiting list as people cancel.

AFS closes their range to members and rental customers during the match, hence the need for the match to limit the amount of time it occupies the facility.

They did tend to fill up and sell out before the few days before the match last year. But you can always call and see if there are cancellations should you find out you have the time off

On another note, how is $20 a much more economical alternative to what S&W was? Wasn't S&W only five dollars more with at least 5 stages? Sure for most of us East of Marlboro the drive is less, but really whats that amount to? Not all that much if your car is getting 25mpg or more. Figure you use 3 or 4 more gallons driving to S&W, so you're out an extra $10-12 in gas. That's not going to break the bank of anyone I know who we shoot with. If it is, they need to carpool. I like AFS because it's closer to me, and then I can go shoot skeet after and use up even more components. So it actually becomes less economical for me to shoot AFS.

On another note, how is $20 a much more economical alternative to what S&W was? Wasn't S&W only five dollars more with at least 5 stages? Sure for most of us East of Marlboro the drive is less, but really whats that amount to? Not all that much if your car is getting 25mpg or more. Figure you use 3 or 4 more gallons driving to S&W, so you're out an extra $10-12 in gas. That's not going to break the bank of anyone I know who we shoot with.

It would take me 7 additional gallons; that's about $23 for me (I take premium). Plus tolls (the least of the cost).

The main thing is that S&W took ALL bloody day, as in, we oft as not stopped for food before getting back on the Pike for the 1.5 hour drive home.

Fun is fun, but it was too long then; too long and expensive compared to AFS now.

I'll miss the S&W matches so heroically run by the Westfield gang, and I look forward to the AFS matches courageously promoted by the AFS crew. I encourage everyone and anyone to sign up and enjoy the day.

I've got it squirting pretty good right now and I've spent most of my recent practice time with it. It looks awfully sweet in that old brown leather Safariland race holster. It feels great and shoots remarkably reliably; I can't imagine how the 1911 frame became so much more popular than those things. And the old tube AimPoint is much easier than a C-more to get on target, to see in the sun, to see in the rain. I wouldn't be surprised to see the squirter at AFS.

Well then, you should trade in that VW and buy a Cadillac, they figured out the secret on how to make them take regular gas back in 2000

Technically, it requires only 91. When I bought it, the difference was only about a nickel a gallon - it's now about four times that.

However, I paid for 200 HP and I want every pony - premium it is! The $1.40 difference for the schlep to S&W wouldn't even cover the tolls, so the regular/premium thing isn't a factor. TIME is.

Last edited:
If anyone is unable to make the Jan. match that has already signed up please let me know because I signed up too late and the match is already full. I won't be around for the Feb. match because of a snowmobile trip but will be at the March trip. So if you can't make the Jan match please send me a PM or Email so I can take your spot.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

How far is the drive for you? I went to all three last year and I think there were a couple of "no-shows" at each of them. Maybe if you drive down you will luck out. Dave and I will be there. Jeff and Zeke couldn't get in either.

Did you put your name on the waiting list?

Last edited:
One more detail - AFS is pretty generous about the cancellation policy - I think they give you until the Thursday before to cancel. I suspect a lot of people who can't make it will wait until the last minute to cancel, so you might with to try with a phone call the Thurs and Fri before a match.

The upside of a the headcount limit is that (a) everyone gets out by about noonthirty, and (b) limiting the downtime on the AFS range to Sunday morning helps preserve our welcome for the next month's match. Remember, they are turning away their paying members who stop by for range use for the entire time we are on the range. AFS has been very nice in their dealings with us, and we return the favor by not pushing on the edges of the time window.

Yes it does!!! That's what happens when you snooze... Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will back out.

Pete,
Looks like your lucky.
I'll be heading down to Nicaragua so I won't be around to shoot the January match. Let me know if you indeed want the spot and I'll contact AFS to see if we can switch.
Paul

Paul you are the man. I would def. want your spot. If you could call and have them switch that would rule. I'll call them today and let them know as well if that's cool.

Thanks,
Pete

Paul you are the man. I would def. want your spot. If you could call and have them switch that would rule. I'll call them today and let them know as well if that's cool.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,
I just called them and gave them your name - you need to call and give them your USPSA and CC # - iithere is a problem let me know.

so what's the temperature in this place? It's been a while since I shot here and I don't remember. Should I be prepared to be cold?

I'm looking forward to my first USPSA match there. What time should I get there? I marked my calendar for 9AM but the web site doesn't specificy much. Thanks!

I'm glad USPSA has made the Single Stack Division this year. ;)

Back
Top Bottom