USPS Rocks!

The USPS flat rate box is the best invention ever.

You can ship like 68 pounds of bullets somewhere for $10. It is almost as good as the days when you could buy gigantic bags of dog/cat food from pets.com and get free shipping. [laugh]

-Mike

How can you beat that?
By doing it reliably and repeatedly.

I've had USPS EXPRESS mail take 14 days to reach my PO box, and had a Priority Mail package take 11 days to travel from Boston to Dallas. USPS is usually pretty fast and has yet to lose a package or letter of mine, however, the chances of an unexplained delay are MUCH higher than with the private carriers.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn from time to time. I use USPS when I want convenience and I don't mind the risk of a delay. If I need to have it at the destination on a particular date, I use UPS or Fedex.

The flat rate is for up to 70 lbs and is $12.00. I use it all the time for projectiles, brass and anything that is not prohibited (e.g.: no ammo or firearms...). The only issue I have is the mail carrier that has my route, I call him "Richard the Magnificent", doesn't like to drive down my driveway and unload the boxes 'cause they are too heavy for him and he just leaves a pink slip in my mailbox so I hafta go down to the P.O. myself and have the nice LADY behind the counter pick them up and place them on the counter for me to take out to the truck. If there are a lot of these packages she will help carry them out for me.

The flat rate is a great deal.....if your carrier will actually deliver to you... I finally complained and now when I get these a different carrier, "Kenny the Great", comes to the door with a box and a big "smile" complaining about how heavy it is...with his hand held out of course.... At least I now get the packages most of the time...

Last edited:
I guess I'm one of the few people who has never had an issue with USPS.
I've been mailing stuff for fifty years and don't recall ever having lost anything.

I actually think it's pretty amazing they can put a piece of paper in a little box in Boston and three days later it's in a little box in LA.

That's precision shooting. It used to be that UPS was a better deal than USPS, but no more. UPS is absurdly expensive and composed of thieves.

I just wish that the volume of the Small Priority box was also offered in a thicker dimension (and thereby shrinking the long dimension).

IIRC, Medium has two shapes -- I wish Small did also.

This wasn't even a flatrate box it looked more like a box that a few CD's might be mailed in. It's called their $1.99 mailing carton.

I guess everyone gets lucky sometimes.

BTW, in it was a pair of diamond magna grips for my 1955 pre 36 S&W flatlatch snubby. MINT !

I'll take some pics and post later.

I've always had great delivery with any postal system, and all the people are super pleasant be they in the truck or at the counter.

The flat rate is another great incentive during this economy.[grin]

In my town we still have a town post office and no mail delivery so everyone knows each other and we get great service. The usps rocks.

In my town we still have a town post office and no mail delivery so everyone knows each other and we get great service. The usps rocks.

I experienced this up in Maine a few years ago. You didn't even have to write a box number, just

Smith
North Haven, ME

and they put it in your box, or gave it to you when you came in to pick it up.

I experienced this up in Maine a few years ago. You didn't even have to write a box number, just

Smith
North Haven, ME

and they put it in your box, or gave it to you when you came in to pick it up.

Hey, who do you know on North Haven? I grew up there.

I agree with the OP: USPS rocks.

Clever Packing Tip:

Get the USPS Large Video Box (bigger than the Flat Rate Small) and put it into a Flat Rate envelope. $4.95. And I've mailed 25-pound bags of shot in them! My carrier knows that when I have a "HEAVY" sticker on, I mean it.[smile]

For added security, over the box, but inside the Flat Rate envelope, I put one of the Tyvek Priority envelopes.

If your local PO doesn't have the stuff ( a lot don't) , go to the USPS website, and just order it ...free shipping...no charge for the materials!

I always used the flat rate boxes to ship handguns, much cheaper than UPS or Fedex, and I have never had a problem with them. Always shipped my long guns out USPS too and never had a problem. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have tracking like Fedex or UPS. If they had that it would be so much better.

What tax payer money? USPS works mostly on the sale of stamps and their deliverys. They do get some money from the tax payer for handicap stuff. I do say they need to be reformed and it still is the best deal in town.

There was a thread on here a while back detailing the costs of the USPS and how it is continuously bailed out by taxpayer dollars behind the scenes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29877702/
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27584.html

In the end, it doesn't even matter to me whether it costs taxpayers a dime or not. It shouldn't exist as a government ran agency. The government wasn't made to do business, no matter how efficient.

Last edited:
Kalahari said:
In the end, it doesn't even matter to me whether it costs taxpayers a dime or not. It shouldn't exist as a government ran agency. The government wasn't made to do business, no matter how efficient.
Ultimately, yes. I just hate arguments made on false/questionable facts, even if they're good arguments.

The USPS shouldn't exist in its current form.

Ultimately, yes. I just hate arguments made on false/questionable facts, even if they're good arguments.

The USPS shouldn't exist in its current form.

I understand, though as far as I've read (which I'll admit isn't more than a few new articles), it seems clear the USPS has had some pretty major financial difficulties that, were it not for the taxpayers, could've put them under.

I've been getting my neighbor's mail for years. Who knows where my stuff ends up. A few weeks ago I had mail from 5 different addresses in my box...change of address cards, bills, magazines. WTF? All my bills are paid electronically now after missing a few CC statements and accruing late charges.

But when it does work it's good.

-MS

I had bought a set of snap-on wrenches on ebay and when the package arrived, it had been cut open, and emptied, and hurrily taped back together.

I had the package insured, with deliv confirmation, and USPS would not honor it because the package was delivered and not lost.

I missed out on like $300 worth of tools. Some greedy SOB stole them.

The seller had like 5000+ positive feedbacks with zero negatives.

That ordeal pissed me he hell off.

I always used the flat rate boxes to ship handguns, much cheaper than UPS or Fedex, and I have never had a problem with them. Always shipped my long guns out USPS too and never had a problem. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have tracking like Fedex or UPS. If they had that it would be so much better.

I could have sworn that shipping a handgun via the USPS without a FFL was a felony or misdemeanor. I have been wrong before on these obscure laws that I never encounter though.

I could have sworn that shipping a handgun via the USPS without a FFL was a felony or misdemeanor. I have been wrong before on these obscure laws that I never encounter though.

Kingson has (or at least had, may still have) an FFL. Fail. [grin]

-Mike

USPS was 2.8 Billion in debt for last year..A disaster like every other Govt Agency....it should be abolished to save the taxpayers money...I can only imagine what 2009 will look like...I am sure we can just print more money out of thin air and solve this problem too....HYPERINFLATION HERE WE COME!!!!

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_10978701

Last edited:
I had bought a set of snap-on wrenches on ebay and when the package arrived, it had been cut open, and emptied, and hurrily taped back together.

I had the package insured, with deliv confirmation, and USPS would not honor it because the package was delivered and not lost.
I missed out on like $300 worth of tools. Some greedy SOB stole them.

The seller had like 5000+ positive feedbacks with zero negatives.

That ordeal pissed me he hell off.

WHAT?!! They guarantee (insure) the package will arrive, but won't guarantee what you'll find inside?

Back
Top Bottom