• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USMC Marksmanship Training

I remember when I was at Parris Island during rifle qual week, the PMI's has us put a strip of masking tape on the buttstock of our rifles. We were allowed to make marks on the tape. I recall it being useful for ensuring proper cheek weld.

Anyone here remember where the marks were, or how they were used? I can't for the life of me remember.

I don't recall doing that when I went through bootcamp in '95, but now I do sometimes make reference marks on my rifle, sling, coat, etc. so that I know that my position is staying consistent between shots. I find that it helps when practicing for CMP matches where building a good position quickly is key.

I also write my zeros on the side of the receiver with a silver sharpie.

I don't recall doing that when I went through bootcamp in '95, but now I do sometimes make reference marks on my rifle, sling, coat, etc. so that I know that my position is staying consistent between shots. I find that it helps when practicing for CMP matches where building a good position quickly is key.
I also write my zeros on the side of the receiver with a silver sharpie.

Jasons: thanks for the ideas. I do mark my sling, but never thought to mark my jacket.

I went through in 1997. Been kicking around the idea of trying a CMP match and was trying to rid myself of all the bad habits I've picked up.

Jasons: thanks for the ideas. I do mark my sling, but never thought to mark my jacket.

I went through in 1997. Been kicking around the idea of trying a CMP match and was trying to rid myself of all the bad habits I've picked up.

Where are you located? There are still a few matches on the schedule this season. One CMP match left in Nashua, NH which I will be shooting. Also 5 or 6 NRA 80s and midrange prone matches left. The season went by too fast.

When did you go through in '97? I was on the Island July 7 - October 3. 3rd BTN, Mike Co., PLT 3085

Then we passed each other on the parade field at least once. 3rd RTBN, Kilo Co, PLT 3070. May 29 - August 22, 2007

- - - Updated - - -

Where are you located? There are still a few matches on the schedule this season. One CMP match left in Nashua, NH which I will be shooting. Also 5 or 6 NRA 80s and midrange prone matches left. The season went by too fast.

I'm in Stow, MA, near Concord. I'll look into what's left this season. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
OK, Hollywood.

Don't mind Derek he went to the beaches of sunny So. California for Basic.[pot]

There is a reason why they train women at the Island. San Mateo isn't for pussies.

SanMateoTalegaCanyon2.jpg

uphill.jpg

I remember when I was at Parris Island during rifle qual week, the PMI's has us put a strip of masking tape on the buttstock of our rifles. We were allowed to make marks on the tape. I recall it being useful for ensuring proper cheek weld.

Anyone here remember where the marks were, or how they were used? I can't for the life of me remember.

I was taught to touch the tip of my nose to the charging handle.

[[/U]QUOTE=BrianK;2564079]Didn't do it at Quantico in 78.

First shavetail crack gets a boot up his...

Ok, But "Mister" you are still a BOOT!!!![cheers][/QUOTE]

JW, at 8th and I for a Silent Drill Team appearance, I saw men with missing limbs, eyes, you name it, in dress blues with chests full of medals - silver and bronze stars, purple hearts, unit citations, - again, you name it.

I will ALWAYS be a boot next to those guys. And you know what? I can live with that.

Back
Top Bottom