USMC Gunny 1911

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
A Colt 1911 custom crafted for a USMC Gunnery Sergeant. Started with a Colt pre 70 re-issue. Kart barrel, serrations and high cut. EGW bushing and ambi safety. A NOS wide wide hammer and lanyard loop MSH. BoMar style rear sight. The front sight has a platinum insert from friend Ted Yost. The engraving and inlay of white gold is by Brian Powley. The case in by Glenn Dean of Classic Chests. All great craftsmen and a pleasure to work with.

ucQVr1X.jpg

qGjMo8K.jpg

NaaDKkh.jpg

j8IHiaq.jpg

5CpgnI2.jpg

KdZNuQe.jpg

Gotta love the Marines.

Sorry...I have difficulty reading text that's not in crayon.

[rockon]

I missed it too at first. Didn't read the entire first paragraph because I couldn't wait to get to Greg Derr's photos! And as I scrolled down and saw the front sight photo, I was like "wow, what's that?"

It's a beautiful pistol—much better than probably any other USMC firearm I've seen—but once I was done admiring the photos, I'd have moved on... except the post right before yours also caught my attention:
The Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal is very rarely awarded these days.

I said to myself, "Hey, I have one of those, and I didn't know it was particularly special." I looked at the Marine Corps display of my ribbons/medals here in my home and also at my DD-214 just to be sure. Then I had to do a little research, and now I know why I have it even though I didn't do anything heroic to earn it.

Anyway, I guess I'm a crayon-eater too (we never used that term), but that's why I stayed in this thread long enough to finally read all of the OP, and then I could answer your question.

I'd love to have a pistol like that, and as Paul Harvey would have said, "Now you know the rest of the story."

I'd have moved on... except the post right before yours also caught my attention:
I said to myself, "Hey, I have one of those, and I didn't know it was particularly special."
In today's military, "joint operations" is the norm so the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal is more often awarded now when appropriate.
The Marine Expeditionary Medal is cool as it depicts a Marine coming ashore with one foot on the land and one foot in the water.

Now that Easter weekend is over, I'm bumping this thread so that people who've been away from NES will get a chance to see this beautiful pistol!

In today's military, "joint operations" is the norm so the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal is more often awarded now when appropriate.
The Marine Expeditionary Medal is cool as it depicts a Marine coming ashore with one foot on the land and one foot in the water.

I agree, Andy. Very cool. Thanks for the additional info. I can confirm that I was not in a "joint operation." It was Marines only.

Back
Top Bottom