USMC 1911

Just picked up a 1911 ser 209xxx. In rough shape.I'm guessing < 70%. I checked the number and it appears to have been one of 800 or so assigned to the USMC in late 1918.
Is there a good resource to apply a % to the condition. I would like to get a idea of worth. I'd like to know if this is a shooter.

I checked a source...............

............but it is a 1998 list of firearms values. So take the info with a grain of salt. However, it appears that the value can vary wildly depending on two parameters, manufacturer and condition. For example, a Colt manufactured M1911 manufactured in the 1918 time frame is listed as $1600 at 98 percent condition and $375 at 60 percent condition. If you can definitely tie it to the USMC, those values are $2675 and $750 respectively. Finally, it appears that the rarest and most valuable M1911's made in 1918 were made by North American Arms. They made 100 M1911's apparently and the values given are $20,000 and $7,000 respectively. Good luck.

Just picked up a 1911 ser 209xxx. In rough shape.I'm guessing < 70%. I checked the number and it appears to have been one of 800 or so assigned to the USMC in late 1918.
Is there a good resource to apply a % to the condition. I would like to get a idea of worth. I'd like to know if this is a shooter.

Some further info

From what I can gather thus far, that serial number would be from a run of 800 for the Marine Corps, but they took delivery of many more (a few thousand) with other serial number ranges. I suspect that, in order to have significant value, you would have to somehow tie it to a specific, honored Marine from that era. For example, if you could link that pistol to Dan Daly, one of only two Marines to ever win the MOH twice, you would have a museum quality piece regardless of the condition of the weapon, IMO. If you wish to PM the actual serial number to me, I will contact HQMC and the Marine Corps museum in order to check whatever records they may have regarding issuance of that particular 1911. I have some contacts in this regard due to my association with certain Marine veteran's groups.

I actually subscribed to bluebook but still having a hard time setting an unbiased percentage. Actually I found out today the gun is a 1917 production.
Definately 1 of 800 made. I'm gonna give it one more shot to post pics. If unable I'll take Atilla up on the offer of posting them for me

Back
Top Bottom