• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Using Shot Timer for Dry Fire exercises

Greetings and Salutations Everyone,

I just picked up a CED7000 shot timer to go with my Cheapshot laser and Cheapshot Tactical Laser target. I want to use this setup to practice stuff that the lack of ammo makes difficult to do correctly.

Not being a competitive shooter I am seeing the term "PAR" used a lot in the instruction manual for the shot timer. From a couple of DuckDuckGo searches, it looks like PAR might be the best way to use this setup in my use case. It looks like you set two timers, one for the draw and the other for the completion of the drill.

Is the shot timer supposed to pick up on my Shield's firing pin hitting the laser unit? Is it important for the shot timer to be able to pick up on a the hammer hitting the firing pin?

Thank you!

I have the same timer I use for dry fire practice of timed drills.

IIRC I set the timer to RO (range officer) mode. That turns off a lot of bells and whistles.

The two times I have set are ”delay” and “par”

Delay is the time lapse between when you hit start and the starting beep sounds. I set it to six seconds, and I use that time to set timer down and get in ready position.

PAR is simply the time between the start and end beep. I use my timer for PRS training with a rifle. If I’m doing a one shot drill I set a par of 11 seconds. If I’m doing a full 10 shot stage I set PAR to 90 seconds.

When dry firing with snap caps I’ve never had it pick up sounds. of firing. I’m not aware that it will pick up anything but actual shots.

Back
Top Bottom