1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Using a NH reg. boat in MA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HARRYM, Jan 4, 2019.

1. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

If he registered it, yes, if not then no.

I have 2 late 1970's sailboats, both over 14' but never registered since I never put a motor on them. I never got a title. I did pay sales tax to the dealer that sold me these boats, but have no documentation since it was 40 years ago. I wonder what hoops I will have to jump through if these need to be registered.

There was an old work around where you could sell it to a family member with a bill of sale for a buck and then they could register an old boat as long as it had a # attached. You did have to pay the sales tax on the $1.00

HARRYM likes this.

2. Dan-o

Dan-o NES Member

I have 2 Carolina skiffs J14 neither required title to Reg. I believe most boats advertised as 14’ are an inch or two under to avoid title issues.

HARRYM likes this.
  3. HARRYM

HARRYM NES Member

In the early eighties he did register it in MA. Been registered in NH for at least 25 years. If I had to sell it its likely my Wife (his Daughter) could get the family exemption. When the MIL passed in 2015, and we cleaned out her home, we did not find a title. We did find the original BOS.

4. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

You have enough data to deal with the RMB. If you are dealing with MA, then I would definitely go the Bill Of Sale route to a family member along with the NH registration # and the original BOS. The boat registration people are better than the RMV, but get your ducks in order so you don't have to go back 3 times. It's always a smile when you show up with a NOTARIZED bill of sale for a dollar and hand then 6 cents and then pay them megabucks for a title.

The best one I heard of in that vein was a 38' Hatteras Sail boat sold to a family member after being registered in NH for year in that other name. The new owner paid Sales tax in MA on a dollar. He made out better than Kerry!

5. Talon3

Talon3 NES Member

From the NADA Title and Registration book, Title law was enacted in Massachusetts September 1 1972.
    Odds are he was issued a title, or it may have gone to the bank if it was financed through.
    Call the Boat Registry 617 626 1610 or have a boat inspection done by the epo s to transfer ownership.
    Inspections are free of charge.

6. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Don’t call them idiots in Boston. The girls working in Worcester are awesome. I got major bad info from some desk rat in Boston. Chased my tail totally needlessly due to his lazy ass. The girls gave me straight, solid and accurate intel.
    In my case it was death and no titles.

7. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

You only get a title if you register it. In my case, post title law enactment, I bought sailboats and never put a motor on them. No title, never registered. Now when I sell them the poor SOB that buys them will have a hell of a time registering them.

8. George D

George D NES Member

Yes, the path of least resistance may be requesting a duplicate title and then using the death certificate and an affidavit to get one in your name. The state of MA is pretty picky about it. RI is even worse, requiring everything to be notarized. In the late 90's, we put a motor on a 12' boat my brother bought in 1974 with paper route money at a long gone Sears store. The people in Boston wanted him to contact Sears for the receipt to prove he paid sales tax. After a lot of back and forth, they accepted a notarized form stating he paid sales tax in 1974. The Worcester office is definitely knowledgable, they have helped me a few times.

9. AHM

AHM NES Member

323 CMR 1.00: MOTORBOAT TITLING
    1.02: Definitions
    Titled Motorboat. Any vessel of 14 feet or greater in length propelled or designed to be propelled by machinery whether or not such machinery is permanently or temporarily affixed or is the principal source of propulsion, ...​
    (Italics mine).

If the manufacturer didn't design the vessel to be propelled by machinery,
    but some rocket surgeon invented some way to attach machinery,
    then the vessel only needs to be registered if an aftermarket motor is actually attached.