Using 80 SMKs....a range report.

What kind of loads/powders are you using to make the 80 grainers work.
I tested two loads at 200 yds. yesterday (all I had time for).
LC case, Fed 205M primers. OAL of 2.450
5 rounds, 23.5. 5 rounds, 24.0
23.5 - a 3 3/4 inch group consisting of two flyers and 3 shots I could have covered with a quarter.
24.0 - an evenly dispersed group just a tad over 3 inches.
Checked my brass after most every shot.....the 24.0 loads showed no signs of pressure. I guess I'll go up to 24.5 and have another try. then I'll seat the bullets out a little further and try the whole batch again. (10-15 thous. off the lands, maybe)
Rifle is a WOP upper, Krieger 1X7.

I didn't catch what powder you are using. I am using 24.5gr of RE15 with good results (moly coated Sierra's). No pressure signs whatsoever with my WCC brass. I shot a 197-7X with that load earlier this year at 600yds (which is really good for me). 90% of those who use the 80's either use RE15 or Varget. I have no idea what my OAL is. I use the Stony Point tool to measure off the lands.

If you have a chronograph, try and get them to around 2700fps. My R-15 load from years ago spits them out at 2760 fps.

I have never used Fed 205M primers. The large rifle primers have a reputation for being soft. I'm not sure about the small rifle primers. I have used the 210Ms in bolt guns, but never in an auto. With the AR I have had good luck with Remington 7 1/2 and CCI BRs.

Try and shoot at least 10 shot groups. It will give you a better indication of the group. It sounds like your loads show promise. I’d play around with the seating depth, but just make sure that you remember that if you get them real close to the lands the pressures will start to go up fast.

Brian

PatMcD said:
I didn't catch what powder you are using. I am using 24.5gr of RE15 with good results (moly coated Sierra's). No pressure signs whatsoever with my WCC brass. I shot a 197-7X with that load earlier this year at 600yds (which is really good for me). 90% of those who use the 80's either use RE15 or Varget. I have no idea what my OAL is. I use the Stony Point tool to measure off the lands.

Sorry, try as I may to mention all the pertinent info, I did neglect to say I was using RE-15. I went on the advice John Holliger had on his website. It does seem to burn a little cleaner than Varget and meters easier, too.
Of course......I'm not finished experimenting by any means. I'll try 24.5 also, with different OALs.
I'd love to actually test them at 600 yds., but making the 52 mile run to Reading is just gonna be for matches.

I got that load from Derrik Martin out of Zediker's book. "Buy a big bag of primed Winchester brass, dump 24.5gr of RE15 in, and cap it with a bullet, 77's or 80's. Don't weigh anything, turn necks, or any of that crap; just go shoot". I kind of paraphrased what he said, but that load is where I started and finished.
As Brian said, careful about getting too close to, or into the lands. .1" away is standard. They say the Sierra's can take the jump easily.

The only thing I would add on the bulk Winchester brass is to make sure to check the necks. I full length size all of mine so the case is of a uniform dimension and the necks give me all the same tension on the bullet. I’ve done the same with a neck die and it seemed to work well. A Lee collet die would also work.

With the neck die, I did check the headspace on several cases, so I knew that the case would fit into the chamber without any resizing of the case upon chambering.

B

Never had a problem feeding with neck sized cases; either single or mag fed?
I've never done it except with my BM SR upper when I was doing slow fire. Most will caution against it in a target chamber, if I understand correctly.

Took 10 rounds to Old Colony for 200 yd. R&D on Sunday morning.
24.5 of RE-15 under an 80SMK, LC, Fed 205M, OAL 2.450.
First two shots went wide at both 3 and 9 o'clock, maybe 4 inches in between 'em.
Next 8 rounds ended up inside a two inch circle. The brass showed no signs of excessive pressure; primers flattened out a little, but no more than would be expected.
I guess I'm there.
Maybe I'll experiment with OALs now.
Anybody wanna make any comments?
CJC

I'm using 24.0 Re15 in WCC brass loaded about .007 off the lands. Shot a 191-7x at Ft. Benning regional last month with me tripping two bad shots.

200 yards may not be enough distance for the round to completely stablize. Try them from at least 300.

I had that in mind, the fact they might not be stabilized so close in.
I hope to get up to Reading soon to try them out there. That's the closest range where I can get to 300 yds and beyond.
The fact that a few "fouling shots" were beneficial became evident too. I can see a few pages of notes in my log book out of the last few days' experiments.

I load the 80 SMK's in my service rifle with real good results, I went to Vermont with 80 Noslers instead of the SMK's. the Noslers worked great at 2-3 hundred but gave up a bit at 600.

THE LOADS THAT FOLLOW ARE ABOVE THE RECOMENDED CHARGES, START LOW AND WORK YOUR WAY UP. DON'T JUST LOAD THESE UP AND SHOOT THEM. WHAT WORKS IN ONE FIREARM MAY DESTROY ANOTHER.

Brass -LC
Primer - CCI-BR4
Bullet - SMK 80 gr.
Powder - 24.4gr. - AA2520
seated .010" into the lands
Avg velocity - 2,735 fps
SD - 25fps
or
Brass - LC
Primer - CCI - BR4
Bullet - SMK 80gr
Powder - 25.3gr - Varget
Seated .010" into the lands
Avg velocity -2,779fps
SD - 14fps
RRA NM 20" upper 1/8 twist Wilson bbl.

DD

Last edited:
Yes .010" off the lands not the chamber, 10 off the chamber would be open bolt. Fixed it. Thanks.
I use the BR primers mostly because thats what I started with and I've had no reason to switch. I've never had one not go off and they are a little bit harder than the WSR primers. I haven't experimented with primers so if anyone KNOWS a better primer I would certainly take a look at it.

DD

I have not done any real testing on bench rest primers vs. regular primers, but many years ago I did some load development with an M-14NM. We were testing .30 cal 180Gr. Sierras with a couple of different powders and primers. At 200yds there was a dramatic difference between Winchester LR primers and CCI BR primers. I can’t remember exactly what the difference was, but it was noticeable. Sort of like a 10 shot knot vs. a 10 shot cluster at 200yds. I never looked back.

If your inclined to use the regular primers, I’d do some testing before buying a large lot.

B

Back
Top Bottom