Using .22LR Cases to make your own jacketed .223 bullets

Half a grain? They're all within half a grain. They're all within .2 grain without sorting the brass. Using commercial jackets they're all identical. I swage all my cores to a consistant weight, the as cast cores are +/- .4 grains after the cores are swaged, they're all the same, the only thing that varies is the fired .22 brass and they're within .2 grains. I have friends out west that shoot these at prarrie dogs at 300+ yards with good sucess. I have good results shooting at paper at 200 yards.

Half a grain? They're all within half a grain. They're all within .2 grain without sorting the brass. Using commercial jackets they're all identical. I swage all my cores to a consistant weight, the as cast cores are +/- .4 grains after the cores are swaged, they're all the same, the only thing that varies is the fired .22 brass and they're within .2 grains. I have friends out west that shoot these at prarrie dogs at 300+ yards with good sucess. I have good results shooting at paper at 200 yards.

Color me "impressed"......really! [smile] I'd have never thought that kind of weight accuracy could have been obtained.

This is really interesting... I want to try it now! I need to get basic reload equipment first. Theres just something about being able to make everything yourself.

Awesome.

Now we need to figure out how to make our own smokless propellant and primers.

Yes... I wonder if this is possible?

There is a book out there called Homemade Guns and Homemade Ammo that has some different materials in them. Hatchers notebook has some recipes and there is a book called the handbook of chemistry and explosives. Also try the improvised munitions handbook. Me, I like my fingers and will just buy powder and primers in bulk whenever I can.

Shameless plug.... LOL

Just wondering why you are bailing out of that?

If I had some available cash-ola, I would be tempted.

I already swage .40 S&W bullets with a custom set up.

You might want to post it in the Swapping and Selling forum at castboolits, I sold my press in minutes there while it languished for weeks here. I suspect it will sell quickly. My .02, ymmv.

You might want to post it in the Swapping and Selling forum at castboolits, I sold my press in minutes there while it languished for weeks here. I suspect it will sell quickly. My .02, ymmv.

Thanks. I wanted to try to sell local, the equipment is up for sale at cast boolits. Anyone here interested, the link in my above post has been updated.

Back
Top Bottom