• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Using 1980 mags 13 round that have "LE only" in ma

Ive seen a few gen 2 glock mags marked le only. But any mags marked le only is a post 94 thing....best of my tiny knowledge

metallic-handcuffs-picture-id478086218

LE markings were never put on mags prior to 9/14/1994.
Do you know this for a FACT (ie, you could testify to it with certainty as expert witness?)

Do you also know for a FACT that no manfuacturer started their run of LE marked mags once the terms of the 1994 ban were announced, but before it went into effect? (i.e., every manufacturer did their cutover on the effective date, or later?)

And do you know this for EVERY manufacturer?

I am not talking about "everyone sort of know it", but "traceable to an authoritative source" sworn testimony?

Has anybody ever been prosecuted for possessing LE mags and not being a LEO?

Yes.

------------------

And nobody in 1980 would have had a thought in their head to tag mags as LE Only. We're not splitting hairs here about mags made in September 1994 but prior to the ban.

And nobody in 1980 would have had a thought in their head to tag mags as LE Only. We're not splitting hairs here about mags made in September 1994 but prior to the ban.
That "hair" could be the difference between a felony conviction and acquittal.

Some companies have had long standing polities of certain products being LE only, irrespective of any bans. Winchester LE Only ammo (plenty of leakage into the civilian market) and Federal 9BPLE (very little leakage). It is not inconceivable that some company would have market a product "LE only" (although the only examples I have are certain types of ammo). I know the Glock 33 round mag was "LE only" way back when (not marked as such, but not sold in civilian channels)

Last edited:
That "hair" could be the difference between a felony conviction and acquittal.

Some companies have had long standing polities of certain products being LE only, irrespective of any bans. Winchester LE Only ammo (plenty of leakage into the civilian market) and Federal 9BPLE (very little leakage come to mind). It is not inconceivable that some company would have market a product "LE only" (although the only examples I have are certain types of ammo). I know the Glock 33 round mag was "LE only" way bac when (not marked as such, but not sold in civilian channels)

Remington's folding stock for the 870 shotgun is a good example of a non-ban part/accessory that bore LE restrictive markings (1) not being subject to the federal AWB and (2) before the federal AWB existed. The restrictive markings were part of Remington's marketing and distribution plan. (they didn't want that product being sold commercially to the public).

I would like to know more about the mag in question. If it is actually marked 1980, I can't help but wonder if that isn't a manufacturer applied number intended to meet the federally mandated serial number requirement that was applicable to post-ban high capacity magazines.

If you can prove it's made in 1980 why does the LE matter?

It matters because the wording is in the old law, at least on the federal side. Not sure why a mag from 1980 would have that shit on it, though.

If the mags are legit from 1980 I would just grind that shit off and refinish them. [rofl]

-Mike

Has anybody ever been prosecuted for possessing LE mags and not being a LEO?
I highly doubt it. Maybe, just maybe if you were arrested for a crime and they were trying to pile on extra charges then maybe. But I have a hard time believing that any police officer would care what a regular, law abiding citizen who is at the range shootin had for a magazine. Most of my friends and colleagues are police officers, state troppers, corrections officers and so on, and not one of them could care less what non-criminal sportsman and gun enthusiasts have for gear.

I highly doubt it. Maybe, just maybe if you were arrested for a crime and they were trying to pile on extra charges then maybe. But I have a hard time believing that any police officer would care what a regular, law abiding citizen who is at the range shootin had for a magazine. Most of my friends and colleagues are police officers, state troppers, corrections officers and so on, and not one of them could care less what non-criminal sportsman and gun enthusiasts have for gear.

Perhaps not, but when someone is involved in a shooting it is common to seize all guns and >10 round mags, either as a voluntary surrender in compliance with a post-LTC revocation order or a search warrant. It is not unheard of for the confiscated items to be examined for legality; all serial numbers traced looking for stolen guns (even in the absence of any evidence any were); etc.

Do not assume that what happens in a casual encounter will bear much if any resemblance to a post-incident witch hunt.

I am familiar with one case where a woman shot her boyfriend (she is doing time now), a warrant was served for all guns in the apartment and the police announced they were being examined to see if any additional charges were warranted.

is it legal Using 1980 mags 13 round that have "LE only" in ma

A minor detail, but it is "possessing" (in MA) not using them that matters.

There are a bunch of people out there who do not understand this however. One vendor that I see at the Marlboro gun show each year told me just a few weeks ago that he could bring his post-ban standard capacity magazines here to MA because he is a resident of another state. I attempted to inform him otherwise but he was having none of it. [rolleyes]

It does seem very strange that you have mags so marked but believe them to be of 1980 vintage. (If I am reading this right) I'm definitely curious to know the details.

There have been many cases in the news of persons arrested after mass shootings with hi cap mags. usually ar15 mags that are marked 09/94. In a state like CT,MA,NY,NJ, CA, DC you are definitely going to get charged after using one of those post ban mags.

Back
Top Bottom