• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Used reloading equipment

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Buying used single stage a good way to get started or a good way to spend money on something I'm going to replace after the first session?!

Someone is selling:
Older (and stronger) unit. Rock chukker model single stage. I have everything needed to start reloading rifle or pistol ammo. Press, powder measure, case trimmer, assorted chucks and holders and dies. Whole kit must go. Items are used but work as good as ever. just dusty from being stored. $100 Or best offer.

thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
I'd grab it. The press itself is worth that, and you'll probably still have it in great condition and will find it useful if you decide to upgrade to a progressive. And with all the accessories included, especially the powder measure, it's a fantastic deal.

Even if you upgrade to progressive (and chances are you will) you'll still use the single stage for time to time for larger rifle cartridges and i use mine a lot to swage primer pockets on Military brass. $ 100.00 is about a third of what a single stage reloading kit containing what you list would cost. Plus, dies would not be included in one of those kits which add even more the value of the package. If you don't buy it post the sellers info and one of us probably will buy it.

IMHO everyone starting out should use a single stage opperation. This way you are better able to pay attention at each station reducing the risk of a mistake.

Even though I have a Dillon, a Rock Chucker would be my choice for sizing and depriming,priming my rifle loads. After the cases are prepped, I run them through the Dillon. You can't go wrong at that price.

If you don't want to buy it, please PM me with info on the source.

Even if you go on to a progressive, you'll always have a need for a good single stage.

Thanks everyone. I'm supposed to meet the guy after work tomorrow to make the deal. I'll be reading through the Reloading forum to learn about this black art!

cheers,
Chuck

Don't stop at 1 !

I use three, plus data from propellant manufacturers I pull off the net.

AND the (old) USPSA load page.

I throw out the highest and lowest charges and work up in small increments (.1 pistol; .3-.5 rifle) from there.

I HAVE found errors in load data on a manufacturer's site - hence the need to double/triple/quadruple-check your charge weight range.

Don't stop at 1 !

I throw out the highest and lowest charges and work up in small increments (.1 pistol; .3-.5 rifle) from there.

I HAVE found errors in load data on a manufacturer's site - hence the need to double/triple/quadruple-check your charge weight range.

Great advice. You can never have too many sources. I look at:
  1. The powder manufacturer's website.
  2. The Lyman book.
  3. The Hornady book.
  4. The Lee book.
  5. The Speer manual

Then I average the sources' lowest charge and work up from there.

Order a copy of the ABC'S of Reloading. Used to written by the late Dean Grennell, new editions come out every few years. It is a great source of reloading knowledge. Also check the used book section for a copy of Reloading for Handgunners by George Nolte, both are must read for beginners!

Nice score on that RockChucker. I am using my dadinlaw's RC that is 25yrs old or so and it works great. Single stage is definately the way to start and you will NEVER get rid of it regardless of getting prgressive later on. Hell, I just scored a Pacific (what RCBS used to be called a LONG time ago) C-type press with three shellholders and a modern shellholder conversion ram for $10 today and it is MINT!!! Now I have two presses running. Still no progressive and I have been loading for 8yrs or so. and am happy this way. Of course, I am not competing every weekend firing 200rds of ammo either...

Don't stop at 1 !

Got a link to that load page? Or is it hard copy?

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom