Used my crossbreed holster for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
although i've personally NEVER carried w/o one in the pipe, outside of a 6 month peace keeping mission to Kosovo with an M4... i can see how it can be intimidating. my only advice is to take a class, make friends, get out to the range and put a shit load of rounds through your carry piece... they really won't go off by themselves.... i used to laugh at the Civil Affairs and non combat arms guys at the clearing barrel all the time

[wink]

Let me ask you guys, that are carrying empty guns around until you get "comfortable" enough to load up, a serious (deadly serious) question.

Are you comfortable yet with the possibility of killing another man? Because that is the very likely outcome necessary for you to win the fight of your life.

Do you ever, as you place that handgun in its holster, mentally say to yourself "I am ready to see the fight through to the end, even if it means killing my aggressor"?

Sounds ugly, doesn't it? Well, that's just the way it is.

I can only say that I am more than willing to defend myself and take another life if it's justified. What I don't want to do is make some stupid mistake due to a lack of experience and discharge my firearm taking an innocent life.

I get what you are saying, dude. From your perspective it seems ludicrous.

I can only say that I am more than willing to defend myself and take another life if it's justified. What I don't want to do is make some stupid mistake due to a lack of experience and discharge my firearm taking an innocent life.

I get what you are saying, dude. From your perspective it seems ludicrous.

This is exactly my feeling as well.

No, carrying an empty pistol is being done out of ignorance and therefore it is never justified.

Are you afraid of your lawnmower too?

I said "I appreciate the apprehension and some apprehension is justified". That's all, nothing more. You don't think someone carrying for the first time should be a little cautious of their actions? I think his being cautious is justified. He's trying to get used to it in his own time, in his own way. I'm not going to advocate rushing it.

If you noticed, I included in my statement that you don't want to be fiddling around racking the slide when a BG comes.

I knew, in little time, he would be schooled on it not being a good idea. Therefore, I left that for someone else to mention. I'm sure he's now very aware of the dilly-o, yo.

Let me ask you guys, that are carrying empty guns around until you get "comfortable" enough to load up, a serious (deadly serious) question.

Are you comfortable yet with the possibility of killing another man? Because that is the very likely outcome necessary for you to win the fight of your life.

Do you ever, as you place that handgun in its holster, mentally say to yourself "I am ready to see the fight through to the end, even if it means killing my aggressor"?

Sounds ugly, doesn't it? Well, that's just the way it is.

Absolutely comfortable with the possibility. I actually had some issues after my deployment due to a serious case of survivor's guilt and not having the opportunity to kill someone. That being said, I still wasn't comfortable with a chambered round and no mechanical safety. I got over it, though, and I'm fully aware that I was being an ignorant pussy at the time. It takes training, practice, and time to develop that comfort.

Is that normal or am I just being a pussy?

Dude, I am sorry, all I got outta this is " I love my Crossbreed... blah blah blah.... I am a pussy"

If you are going to carry without one in the pipe you MUST drive a Subaru and carry a pack of Newports so that any potential assailants will be deterred by the sound of your awesomeness long enough for you to rack the slide. Also get a CCW badge and sash.[grin]

Six months from now your gonna say to yourself ... " I don't believe that I used to carry with an empty chamber". You will get there. I am betting at about 750-1000 rounds. So if you are like me, that will be next Tuesday

It really is just a comfort issue with me. Never fired a gun before September of this year. Maybe hard to believe, but hey, I live near the city and mom made pops give up his guns when I was born.

The fact that people are so incredulous about not carrying +1 actually makes me feel better. I will get there, I just need to get used to carrying first. I made it 33 years without needing to shoot one, hopefully my luck will hold until I am comfortable.

In all seriousness, aren't you guys more worried of the guy that's so gung-ho about carrying that he makes all kinds of stupid mistakes, possibly harming others in the process, or is it better to call je25ff a pussy to make you feel good about how "tough" you really are"? Many of you are ex-military and are more familiar and/or comfortable with your weapon. I like to think I'm some tough biker, but when it comes down to it, I may be in the same position as je25ff until I put a few hundred rounds through my weapon and take it down a bunch of times...just to be 110% sure I know how it works so I don't make one of those stupid mistakes. I guess I'm a pussy too...but I will tell you this, I am sure I would have no problem defending myself, my wife or my daughter should I need to, and yes, I am positive I can fire on someone without prejudice if I have to. Yes, I understand that second or two may make the difference between saving your life or ending it, but if you're not mentally ready, having one in the pipe isn't going to change that split second...it'll be wasted second-guessing your decision to shoot.

I've been carrying my knife to many a biker bar/clubhouse and rally, because that was the only protection I had. I've seen some of the things that happen to idiots at these places, and I've already prepared myself to use it if necessary. Personally, I think it's mentally harder to cut someone than it is to shoot them, but thankfully, I've done neither for real and don't know for sure.

Guns are machines. As such they work in defined, predictable ways. Therefore not carrying a pistol in its condition of full readiness (as defined by the design of the pistol) is illogical and rooted in either ignorance of the firearm's operation, or lack of skill at arms, or both.

In any case, the root cause needs to be remedied before ever holstering the pistol for real. The wrong answer, IMO, is to take half measures and hope everything is okee dokee until one settles down.

Guns are machines. As such they work in defined, predictable ways. ...

And humans are not. Sometimes it takes time to learn new things. This person is just being cautious and learning his limitations and abilities.

Therefore not carrying a pistol in its condition of full readiness (as defined by the design of the pistol) is illogical and rooted in either ignorance of the firearm's operation, or lack of skill at arms, or both.

In any case, the root cause needs to be remedied before ever holstering the pistol for real. The wrong answer, IMO, is to take half measures and hope everything is okee dokee until one settles down.

You could be right here. I think you are basically saying he needs to get more training rather than carry with an empty chamber. It looks like he is trying to compromise his training for his comfort with what he knows to date. I'm not sure if I fall in your camp, his camp, or a little of both.

Oh, and what is with all this stuff about "snap caps"? Aren't those just for practicing to protect the firing mechanism on some guns?

Whatever gets you going but I would never carry without a round chambered. I was very apprehensive of carrying my first 1911 cocked and locked so I didn't carry it for a while. That was until I fully understood how the gun operates and realized that the chances of it going off on its own are close to none. A lot of really bad things would have to happen in a particular order for it to go BANG without me pressing the trigger.

This - I was nervous at first too, but I knew that without a series of events occurring in a specific order the gun wouldn't go off. Plus, I don't fiddle with the pistol when it's in the holster...Finger can't get anywhere near the trigger if I'm not touching the gun!

And a funny one. Have a look:

I believe the original poster took this down because he got so much flack. I think William_Munny posted this duplicate to preserve it for posterity. If I'm incorrect, my apologies. [grin]

Yep. IIRC, he recorded it on his cell phone [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe the original poster took this down because he got so much flack. I think William_Munny posted this duplicate to preserve it for posterity. If I'm incorrect, my apologies. [grin]

OMG!! Never seen that before, what an idiot. Wish I could read what people left for comments. These are the poeple that scare me carrying a gun.

Don't listen to anyone here. Carry in the manner you are comfortable with. Just realize that the time it takes to chamber a round may get you killed. You may also be using the other hand to fend off an assailant while drawing your weapon. Still, it's you life, your gun, your choice. Carrying without one in the pipe is better than not carrying at all.

I've only had my LTC for about 19 months. The first 16 months I carried a Glock 30 without a round in the chamber knowing all along that it wrong and that I was a pussy. I've since unpussyfied myself. I understand where you're coming from but you need to get over it and fast. Don't wait 16 months like I did.

With a new Sig 229, in good shape, you have about as much chance of it going off when de-cocked as you do of getting hit by lightning. The only thing that is going to make it fire is pulling the trigger.

If you are worried that you might accidentally pull the trigger you should have your doctor adjust the dose on your meds or just consider not carrying.

With a new [STRIKE]Sig 229[/STRIKE] anything, in good shape, you have about as much chance of it going off when [STRIKE]de-cocked[/STRIKE] safed as you do of getting hit by lightning. The only thing that is going to make it fire is pulling the trigger.
FIFY

If you are worried that you might accidentally pull the trigger you should have your doctor adjust the dose on your meds or just consider not carrying.
+1

This guy is a stupid A**hole. Two snap caps so the guy who took his gun away has to rack the slide two times so he has time to get his gun back? OMG WTF?! If he lost his gun the first time, what makes him think he is going to get it back?!

I carried for 3 weeks no round in the pipe. To get comfortable for my first time. Now it's normal and I carry loaded and properly.

S&W M&P 9c in a crossbreed.

so, his self defense strategy is: carry two snap caps because they will take the gun away from me and i will have to run. WTF???? what a retard.

anyways, back to the carry one in the chamber or not:

i think was Jose said about making up your mind on killing someone is right. You also have to be ready for what comes after killing someone.
ex: someone brakes into your house at night, you hear them and you go downstairs. You tell him/her to drop what he/she has on his/her hands, but instead the person reaches for his pocket. So you shoot, and kill the person. Now lets say the person is a black 17 year old kid, and you are a white male. Whats the news going to say? White male kills BLACK kid. That kid might have family or Homies that might want to come and get you. Because in their minds you are an a**hole for killing their homie. On top of that you have all the legal issues that follow, because this is MA.
In the eyes of some of your neighbors and some of your co-workers you re gong to be a "murderer" (unless you work where i work, they will love you)

anyways, what i am trying to say is: dont be afraid to carry one in the chamber, but be mentally ready for what you will have to go through when you pull a gun on someone and shoot at them.

I think that is tougher than actually getting used to carrying a gun or having a shotgun ready under your bed to shoot someone in the face.

Congrats on the Crossbreed, I love mine.

Everyone goes through that thought process. Its even more difficult if you ever decide to carry a 1911 since you're in condition one. Just follow your basic principles, finger always off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, don't ever point it at anything you're not willing to destroy. Basics, basics basics.....just follow your basics.

I carried with one in the pipe from day one; I'd spent considerable time firing thousands of rounds through that platform before that though. I know people who've done the empty chamber for a little while thing, but it doesn't make sense to me. Should the rookie EMT's in your town disconnect the battery on the ambulance until they feel comfortable pulling out of the garage? Get to know the gun before handling it for any kind of self defense.

Oh, and what is with all this stuff about "snap caps"? Aren't those just for practicing to protect the firing mechanism on some guns?

Someone less lazy than I should post the link to the thread on the subject.

he recorded it on his cell phone...

...after leaving the the screen up on his computer for a few hours trying to figure out how to rescue the video. [laugh] I freaking love NES.

I have never carried concealed before, so I figured I would just take the dog for a walk down the street and give it a try. The holster is so easy and comfortable and even carrying the sig229 I have, with a full magazine, felt more comfortable than I thought.

I didn't chamber a round though. Someone had posted here a while back that they carried concealed but didn't chamber a round. The response was, "that's pretty dumb because the second it takes to chamber one could cost you your life" I guess I'm not comfortable yet to do that. Is that normal or am I just being a pussy?

If you don't have one in the pipe you might as well have a pair of pliers in your holster. Stop being a pussy.

ETA: Nice choice of gun and holster

Last edited:
Let's see how many comments this post gets, Here are my thoughts and I will try to be somewhat brief. If you are 30 years old or younger I have been carrying before you were born. you need to do what feels right for you until you are comfortable with carrying one in the chamber or you will talk yourself out of carrying altogether. That said before one of my handguns reaches carry status at least 500 rounds are fired through it and not just careful aimed target shooting, I need to fire quick accurate shots at a silhouette size target, if i don't have those targets handy, paper plates or 81/2 x 11 paper works (most people don't wear bullseyes on them) . Remember you are responsible for every round you fire if needed for self defense. Hope this helps BTW good choice of holster and gun. Let the comments fly!.

If you don't have one in the pipe you might as well have a pair of pliers in your holster. Stop being a pussy.

ETA: Nice choice of gun and holster

Man, you guys are rough! IMO, statements like these make no sense. Having one in the pipe is a great idea, but saying that not having one in the pipe is like not having a gun at all is just stupid. It takes less than a second to rack a slide and if you know your gun you should be able to rack it one handed if needed. Next we'll be saying that it's pointless to carry if you can't draw and fire your first round in under .5 seconds :)

I'm curious about this... How many of the people here that have called this guy a pussy have put themselves through a defensive pistol training program? I would personally prefer a person new to carrying be more cautious than to be a gung-ho guy acting like a badass who doesn't know how to react when a situation hits him in the face. instead of calling him a pussy, I think it would be better to recommend some classes to him or help him out in some other way.

I think my best course of action is to take some classes that focus on drawing, firing, and holstering a pistol properly. I'm not really concerned that it's just going to magically discharge while holstered, I'm more concerned about how the holster shifts when I sit and walk and drawing it properly. I wouldn't be much good in a gunfight if I drew my pistol incorrectly blowing a hole in my thigh.

Better to learn at your own speed safely than to not end up carrying properly at all. You're heading in the right direction and that's all that matters.
Back when Packing.org was a still operating and a functioning site they did a survey of the members who actually carried everyday. Only 2% had ever run across a situation where they needed to display their firearm much less use it since they had decided to carry for personal protection.. Contrary to what some here would have you believe the numbers are on your side if you want to wait a week or three before you are comfortable with one in the pipe.

You'll be fine even of the crossbreed shifts. I carry in a minituck so it shifts more than a larger model and it doesn't cause any issues. I sit and lay down on the couch all the time with no issues. If your holster is a little loose then put your (unloaded) pistol in it and lay it on a counter. Heat the kydex up with a hair dryer and push into the trigger guard hole with a dowel (the kydex gets very hot) and let it cool. It did that to mine and got the retention right where I wanted it based on a suggestion from Mark at Crossbreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom