• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Used a BDC reticle this afternoon; neat.

allen-1

NES Member
So, BDC has always meant "Bottom Dead Center", as in the position of the piston in the cylinder. (Or Brain Dead see you next Tuesday - when describing a particularly stupid female).

A couple months ago I decided it was time to try to take what I've learned from shooting .22 rifles and see if I can start shooting something a little heavier. Then I was fortunate enough to win a Mossberg 5.65 bolt action Predator at the local NRA dinner; so I've been working with it. I didn't really care for the scope that came with it, so I mounted one that I'd taken off of another rifle. This one's a 3-9 variable power BDC reticle, the only scope I've currently got with such a reticle.

A friend and I shot it last week, and got it sighted in at 100 yards on the crosshairs. Took it back today and took turns again shooting and spotting. Verified that the 100 yard sight was still set, then I used the BDC portion of the reticle for the first time ever, (as in I've never used this style of sight before). It took a couple mags, but we worked out that the first circle on the reticle with the XM855 rounds that I'm running is the holding point for 200 yards.

This shot is of a six inch target that I fired 8 rounds at from 200 yards, (after putting dots on Mike's last mag); (I fired 2 shots out of the mag at 100 yards):

FullSizeRender.jpg

Yeah - nothing for the record books, but a vast improvement over a year ago.

That could honestly be not much more than that gun and ammo are capable of, assuming you called the flier. Most military and bulk ammo are only 2MOA, so that's 4inch groups at 200 yards not taking you and the gun into account.

Find a friend with a sub MOA rifle and some match ammo and see what you can do at 200. Honestly if you can put strings into a 6" circle at 200 all day you're better than 95% of people I see at the range.

So, BDC has always meant "Bottom Dead Center", as in the position of the piston in the cylinder. (Or Brain Dead see you next Tuesday - when describing a particularly stupid female).

A couple months ago I decided it was time to try to take what I've learned from shooting .22 rifles and see if I can start shooting something a little heavier. Then I was fortunate enough to win a Mossberg 5.65 bolt action Predator at the local NRA dinner; so I've been working with it. I didn't really care for the scope that came with it, so I mounted one that I'd taken off of another rifle. This one's a 3-9 variable power BDC reticle, the only scope I've currently got with such a reticle.

A friend and I shot it last week, and got it sighted in at 100 yards on the crosshairs. Took it back today and took turns again shooting and spotting. Verified that the 100 yard sight was still set, then I used the BDC portion of the reticle for the first time ever, (as in I've never used this style of sight before). It took a couple mags, but we worked out that the first circle on the reticle with the XM855 rounds that I'm running is the holding point for 200 yards.

This shot is of a six inch target that I fired 8 rounds at from 200 yards, (after putting dots on Mike's last mag); (I fired 2 shots out of the mag at 100 yards):

View attachment 143715

Yeah - nothing for the record books, but a vast improvement over a year ago.

Ok, had to go make sure, but this is 'batttle ammo'.

Go buy something decent to see what the gun and/or you can do.

To test a gun, I weight it down and use match grade ammo. Takes me out of the picture as much as I can.
To test myself, I shoot from prone or another stable position with the same ammo. Groups generally open up :(.

Anything other than that, IMHO, is just plinking for fun unless you know what the rifle is capable of.

Back
Top Bottom