• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Use Your Own Firearm and Equipment

i just had qualification tonight for pistol. Well the firearm i own is well past it life.. So I borrowed my soon to be father-in-law's firearm.. He has many and this one is one he hasn't really shot or done anything to.. i failed the qualifications so bad it wasn't even funny.. had to get a 80% on paper to pass that part.. i got a low score of 37%. On the reactive target course (which is timed, and your only allowed 25 shots) i didn't even make it have way through.. And theres only 12 targets!!! So my advice is get your own firearm, train with it and be ready..So 1911 here i come!!

i just had qualification tonight for pistol. Well the firearm i own is well past it life.. So I borrowed my soon to be father-in-law's firearm.. He has many and this one is one he hasn't really shot or done anything to.. i failed the qualifications so bad it wasn't even funny.. had to get a 80% on paper to pass that part.. i got a low score of 37%. On the reactive target course (which is timed, and your only allowed 25 shots) i didn't even make it have way through.. And theres only 12 targets!!! So my advice is get your own firearm, train with it and be ready..So 1911 here i come!!

what do you own?

what were you qualifying for?

-just curious...

That is odd. I have found that I shoot a new or borrowed gun better than the ones that I own. I think that the reason is that I know that the gun is an unknown and I go back to basics. Just as an example, I was discussing the merits of different guns with a police officer in a class. He handed me his gun and suggested that I shoot a very involved box drill that I had just completed with my gun. While I was shooting the drill, all my complaints with his gunn disappeared and I shot a better score than I had done with mine.
If you have been compensating for shooting left with your gun by holding right, you are going to have a problem when you shoot another gun. In this case, either fix the sights, if they are off, or learn how to shoot properly. Never compensate by changing your aiming point.

My advice to you is to train harder and smarter on the fundamentals so that you can run any reasonable pistol somewhat proficiently.

There is NO WAY that anyone's score is going to jump 43 percentage points just because they reshoot whatever course of fire with their pet pistol.

Shooting 37% in ANY sort of qualification course is a clue that not all is well with your fundamentals.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice to you is to train harder and smarter on the fundamentals so that you can run any reasonable pistol somewhat proficiently.

There is NO WAY that anyone's score is going to jump 43 percentage points just because they reshoot whatever course of fire with their pet pistol.

Shooting 37% in whatever is a clue that not all is well with your fundamentals.

I could see that happening if someone with poor trigger control went from a single action to a double action.

Back
Top Bottom