• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Use" of Rifle w/o FID?

MaverickNH

NES Member
As a NH resident with a MA Non-Res LTC-A(ALP), I struggle to understand laws pertaining to me. Now I have a question for a MA-resident friend, that I haven't been able to answer looking on GOAL and seaching this forum.

I've almost talked him into an Appleseed in Athol, MA in Feb, but as he doesn't have an FID/LTC and would not likely be able to take an approved course, apply and get an FID/LTC back in time to buy a Ruger 10/22, can I loan him a rifle of mine?

That is, if I bring two rifles into MA for the Appleseed, can I let him use one (with 10rd mags) with me on the range, only while taking the course, and in my presence? I would transport, legally own the rifle and ammo and just let him use it at the course, if legal, then take it back to NH with me.

I'm not clear on whether that counts as "posession" for him and requires an FID/LTC.

Yes, your friend is completely legal at the range. C 140 § 129C(g) allows non-residents to possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns at a range without a permit. Further, C 140 § 129C(m) allows anybody temporary possession of any legal gun while in the presence of an LTC holder (with a few exceptions for minors).

Last edited:
How about this in reverse. Can I own a AR type firearm such as a Sig 556 swat or the soon to be released FN SCAR and store it permanently in a property in VT or NH that is a vacation home legally? I've searched for an answer to this and have yet to find any result. Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, you can own it and store it at a vacation home in VT or NH. If it is not MA AWB compliant, and you present MA ID at an FFL, you may have trouble getting that FFL to sell it to you, however as they're not allowed to sell you a rifle that isn't legal in your home state.

Thanks for the response. I was more curious than anything as most of my shooting is done in these states. Haven't purchased an AR yet and i am just trying to figure out my options, which I now realize are very limited.

Haven't purchased an AR yet and i am just trying to figure out my options, which I now realize are very limited.

Your easiest route, if you want a non-MA legal AR that you store in VT/NH would be to buy a separate lower from an FFL, and then buy a non-MA compliant upper and have it shipped directly to your VT/NH address. Slap the two together and you're golden. Just don't ever bring it over the border into MA. Course, with the panic buying these days, good luck getting any AR parts!

This is what I was going to say. Buy a standard, "no frills" AR and then mod it to your hearts content (preferably everything and anything against the AWB [wink]). Just keep it out of state, or if you want to bring it into the state just make it compliant again.

Sorry to be hijacking this tread, but I have another question for you all. If I got a Sig 556 and welded/pinned a Surefire muzzle break, added a Vltor clubfoot A2 stock, a Simpson rail, and used pre ban or 10 round mags I would be with in all of the MA laws correct?

Is there a better place for me to be asking these questions? I'm new to the forum and really appreciate the help.

Sorry to be hijacking this tread, but I have another question for you all. If I got a Sig 556 and welded/pinned a Surefire muzzle break, added a Vltor clubfoot A2 stock, a Simpson rail, and used pre ban or 10 round mags I would be with in all of the MA laws correct?

Yes, that should make it compliant, though I'm not familiar with the Vitor stock you're talking about, is that a telescoping stock? You would need to have all the modifications done before you would be able to take possession of the rifle.

The Vltor I'm thinking of is fixed, but has the same features as there telescoping unit-storage, check-weld, etc. Are all muzzle breaks compliant in MA?

Back
Top Bottom