• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

use of OC/Mace

i'm not tactical. i hurt a guy's feelings once, though. i'd really rather not muck this thread up any further though as there's some good info both legally and in terms of actually using OC. i'd hate to see it get locked. so i'm going to bow out now.

Okay, I agree. <3 you too.

Can an individual under 18 carry OC? On a youth FID in MA? How about in the other northeast states?

Is there any case law on the penalty for doing so if not?

I'll see if I can dig up some of my own answers later on - I'm sure they're readily available, but the wife's putting supper on the table. [wink]

I guess it would be good to have the info in the thread.

Can an individual under 18 carry OC? On a youth FID in MA? How about in the other northeast states?

Is there any case law on the penalty for doing so if not?

I'll see if I can dig up some of my own answers later on - I'm sure they're readily available, but the wife's putting supper on the table. [wink]

I guess it would be good to have the info in the thread.

Although I'm not 100% on this, as I've never researched age restrictions other than the 21 min age to possess LTC and guns/mags appropriate for same, if a 15 yo has an FID, I'm not sure that they can't possess OC with it. BUT check for any age restrictions, don't rely on what I think here. Any penalties should be in the same law that would have age restrictions.

Be AWARE however, FID or LTC . . . nobody except LEOs can legally carry OC/Mace on any school/college property. [Exception with license AND WRITTEN PERMISSION from the head of the school or his/her designee. Won't happen wrt a public school and rarely in a college in MA.]

I would only use OC in an imminent threat situation. Not necessarily a deadly force situation, just imminent physical harm.

The OC, to a civilian, is to put distance between you and the attacker. You would only use it against a single attacker who was not posing a lethal threat. It WILL NOT INCAPACITATE. OC will only escalate the situation, especially against a DETERMINED attacker. "Now that you've OCd me I'm going to desperately pull my knife to regain control." OC is a tool to help redirect the attack, you will still need to exert control of your attacker afterwards, meaning you will need your other tools, whatever is appropriate for the situation.

I believe against an unarmed attacker you're way better using open handed (no weapons) defensive techniques. Anyone stupid enough to rush you will most likely throw a haymaker or go for a spear. Both are very easy to defend.

I usually have my OC for walking the dog. OC is much more effective against an attacking dog.

I've been searching, but haven't found a good answer yet.

I've found these threads, but they only touch on the use of OC:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-26151.html
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-88337.html
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-103555.html

I have an LTC with restrictions, so I choose to carry Mace (OC/CS/UV dye) when i venture outside. The problem i'm having is i'm not sure when i'd be 'allowed' to use it. Are there any guidlines, books, videos that i could review to help me with this?

I've heard about the use of force continuum, but that looks like it's geared more towards LEOs. Is there anything out there for the basic civilian?

I'm worried about using it in a grey area, and getting whacked with huge legal fees. Obviously i'm not talking about spraying someone sitting on my car, or blowing smoke in my face. for instance, would it be ok to spray someone that is charging at you, but not displaying any weapons?

Another question i have is does it have to be concelead?? I'm assuming no since they make keychain versions, but this is MA....

Also, i'm not sure if this should be in the laws section, so mods feel free to move it if it should have been posted there.

Thanks

Use it when You need to (you will know), then either retaliate or GTFO. If you worry about anything else then You'll be SOL and FU.

Simple.

Use it when You need to (you will know), then either retaliate or GTFO. If you worry about anything else then You'll be SOL and FU.

Simple.

+1. Especially good advice for the young ladies. A coworker of mine ends up walking home from the T late at night by herself. I finally convinced her to get her FID and pick up some OC. I told her that if she feels the slightest bit threatened by someone, spray them in the face, take a good swing with her purse, and run like hell. There will be plenty of time to sort out the legalities later (and in a much safer setting).

Although I'm not 100% on this, as I've never researched age restrictions other than the 21 min age to possess LTC and guns/mags appropriate for same, if a 15 yo has an FID, I'm not sure that they can't possess OC with it. BUT check for any age restrictions, don't rely on what I think here. Any penalties should be in the same law that would have age restrictions.

Be AWARE however, FID or LTC . . . nobody except LEOs can legally carry OC/Mace on any school/college property. [Exception with license AND WRITTEN PERMISSION from the head of the school or his/her designee. Won't happen wrt a public school and rarely in a college in MA.]

This is in MGL Chapter 140, Section 129b (FID cards) "A firearm identification card shall be valid for the purpose of purchasing and possessing chemical mace, pepper spray or other similarly propelled liquid, gas or powder designed to temporarily incapacitate. Which makes it clear that an FID is acceptable for OC...

And the restrictions on age... (v) is at the time of the application less than 15 years of age;

(vi) is at the time of the application more than 15 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with his application a certificate of his parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;

So I agree, it seems the MGLs speak pretty clearly for it... And thanks for your consideration of the post, LenS. Seems clear, unless there's something else in the whole convoluted mess that specifically prohibits >18yr OC use. My rugrat is only nine, but I'm thinking ahead for social situations, going out shopping with friends or whatever.

Umass Amherst will do it if you ask nicely and are properly licensed.

Back
Top Bottom