• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Use of license a scam?

I am pretty sure this was a scam, but I can't figure out the angle. Was at CVS around Christmas and a very sketchy person in line ahead of me (there was some hold up with this person and the cashier) turned to me and said that they wanted to buy a gift card but they didn't have their license, and could I use my license so they could buy a gift card. I said no, and they were almost overboard apologetic afterwards for having asked. As I said, I assume there was some shady angle but I can't figure out what it was. Thoughts?
Thx,
Mike

A few thoughts:
1. CVS (maybe other stores too?) requires a license because they have a limit on how many gift cards you can buy in a day. Presumably to keep dopes from paying scammers with them but maybe this person hit the limit.
2. Gift cards are popular with scammers to convert a stolen credit cards into something they can resell easily. It would be foolish to use your driver's license if you're doing that and that could be the scam here.

I buy gift cards at cvs for the kids in the family (holidays/birthdays), have never been asked for an ID. Maybe an overzealous clerk or the results of a recent incident in that area involving cards.

How do we know this is really OP and not his identity thief?
Hold up, hold up!
I think we should see how OP's near future posts turn out
before we drop a dime. Don't judge an identity thief
until we see what they make of the purloined ID.

I buy gift cards at cvs for the kids in the family (holidays/birthdays), ...
(Have you checked to see if the recipients make prompt use of them?
The value on those things start decaying pretty quickly).

I think a "why the hell do you need a license to buy a gift card" statement was needed at the time. Or for a $10 service fee, I will buy you a gift card using your cash.

Similar situation at Big Y Supermarket.

I bought $800 worth of eBay gift cards there. I was paying for something expensive on eBay. When I use my AmEx card at supermarkets I get 6% back.

When I buy on eBay and pay with a credit card I only get 1% back.

So, since I was buying something expensive I wanted to get my 6%.

They required a Big Y customer card to buy a gift certificate.

Right there I applied for the Big Y card in my name.

Sometimes when people buy gift cards they do so with stolen credit cards.

My recording ID's they can make connections with scammers and cut down on fraud.

Back
Top Bottom