• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Use of C&R

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I always wondered what would happen if a C&R collector used, as in carried and used for protection, a piece that he acquired in the course of his 'collecting'.

That is of course, above and beyond what a person would experience if he used any 'normal' gun to protect himself.

I can't find anything that says an officially 'collected' piece can only be used as part of a static collection.

Any thoughts?

Yes you can use them, but you still have to follow state law and have and FID or LTC that covers the gun you are carrying or using.

Lots of people carry guns that are more than 50 years old. Old centenials, Hand Ejectors and pocket guns are an example.

Read case law. CARRYING even an antique pistol requires a LTC. Thanks to a convicted felon who carried one to use for illegal purposes and thought he'd avoid the "felon in possession" charge. Ref. info can be found in Chief Glidden's book.

Read case law. CARRYING even an antique pistol requires a LTC. Thanks to a convicted felon who carried one to use for illegal purposes and thought he'd avoid the "felon in possession" charge. Ref. info can be found in Chief Glidden's book.

No question about that. I was just wondering about a 'collector' who has 'collected' a weapon and uses it for self defense like a 'normal' weapon.

Sorta like driving an antique registered car to work and getting plowed into as you leave the office !

Dennis,

NOT even close analogy.

There are no "age limits" on guns people use or carry, regardless of what "license' they bought them with.

MGLs don't even acknowledge the existence of the 03 C&R FFL, so it could never be an issue here.

I contend that if the mental midgets on Bacon Hill realized what the C&R FFL was all about, they would ban us from buying anything on a C&R FFL (e.g. think of the CA restrictions)!!

As long as it's registered, I wouldn't want to have to use a handgun for self defense then have the police find out it's not on file. There's some stiff penalties for failing to file an FA-10.

As long as it's registered, I wouldn't want to have to use a handgun for self defense then have the police find out it's not on file. There's some stiff penalties for failing to file an FA-10.

But Massachusetts doesn't register firearms, only transactions and "importations". I've got a lot of firearms with no Massachusetts paper involved that I brought with me when I moved here. Any firearms that you purchased prior to the great blue card vs pigeons and rats fiasco will also not be on file.

Ken

There are numerous legal circumstances under which an individuals
guns may not be "in the system". The most prominent one is moving
here form out of state. A guy could move here with 100 guns and not
have to "register" any of them.

And the crime is "failure to report a trainsfer" not "failure to register".

-Mike

With regard to the original question......You think too much! How or why did you even dream up such a question?

There is no such thing as a "static collection".

Back
Top Bottom