• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Use of Attorney for LTC Process in "Difficult" town

I'm about to do my part to help drive up the firearms ownership numbers in MA.

I'm taking the required safety course at Sig Academy in a couple of weeks. I will be applying for a Class "A" LTC in Medford. While I have seen a couple of posts on the forum recently claiming success in obtaining an Unrestricted LTC in Medford, the city is still scored as "Red".

So my question is; how many folks out there have had success with using the services of a Firearms Attorney for completing the app when applying in a town that is rated as something other than "Green"? I'm aware of the good work done by Attorneys Like Jesse Cohen and Jason Guida (They are geographically closest to me) on behalf of 2A rights in the Commonwealth so I'm not looking for specific attorney recommendations. Rather, I would like to know what have people's experiences been when choosing to engage an attorney.

Thank you for in advance for any data/anecdotes provided.

It's been my experience to apply and wait for your lisence, and then seek help if there are problems. I would suggest taking that route and making a donation to organizations like Comm2A.
....and maybe go green here as well.

I'm in a similar situation where I'm taking my safety class soon (tomorrow, woohoo) and live in a red town. I corresponded briefly with a firearms attorney and was told that his assistance with the application wouldn't improve my odds of getting an unrestricted LTC. Rather, having him help me with the application would remove the potential for errors, which would ensure my application is not delayed any more than normal.

I think the particular detail you need to find out is why your town doesn't give out unrestricted licenses. This attorney was able to tell me that my town requires that I have a demonstrated need to conceal carry (e.g. transporting money/valuables as part of my job). If your town has a similarly prescriptive process then a lawyer may not be of any value regarding limiting restrictions. I think it's worthwhile to approach an attorney and find out if they think they can help you. This guy was very honest.

remove potential for errors? the application is not difficult. most PDs just sit with you and you do it together with the licensing officer as they fill out the questions online for your app.

I know it's not difficult, which is why I'm not using an attorney. That was his description of the benefits of his services relative to the application process in my town.

remove potential for errors? the application is not difficult.

Some people have "interesting" legal backgrounds. If they forget about a court appearance, or put down a disposition of a case that wasn't exactly as written by the court, then they've just given the licensing officer easy grounds for a denial.

my town, Attleboro, is listed as a green town. however, they WILL NOT issue Restrictions: None to anyone under the age of 26. so i was told. i will be getting an LTC A H&T Restriction. i reached out to a local firearms attorney that i found on here and was told that it would have helped my cause if i had gone to him BEFORE i sent in my application. as in possibly, call ahead to let them know if they do not comply with my legal right to carry and possess a firearm and that i was perfectly eligible to obtain, that i would be prepared for legal action.

this may be good for your case. it cant hurt to get some legal advice before you submit the app. unfortunately for me, i had submitted my app and then contacted someone. looking back, i wished i had done it before.

remove potential for errors? the application is not difficult. most PDs just sit with you and you do it together with the licensing officer as they fill out the questions online for your app.

IMNSHO, it is foolish to go in "unprepared", meaning without a manually filled out application form from which the LO and you can verify the info. It gives you time to think (research if needed) and answer all questions correctly. Vs. being asked questions where due to lack of preparation on your part catch you off-guard.

Here's a non-confrontational example: Just before the references the form asks if you have licenses from other states AND the License Numbers! I don't carry my ME, PA or FL licenses with me all the time as I'm not likely to "just head there" (or somewhere else where they recognize those licenses) without advance planning. If you are asked that off-the-cuff and your licenses are at home, you can't answer it can you? Probably not a big deal, but could result in a delay if your LO objects to incomplete info.

Some people have "interesting" legal backgrounds. If they forget about a court appearance, or put down a disposition of a case that wasn't exactly as written by the court, then they've just given the licensing officer easy grounds for a denial.

Precisely and we see queries about that here all the time where people don't recall the exact charges or exact dispositions of their cases.

that's not an error then, that's a court record which would result in a denial and necessitate hiring a lawyer. [laugh]

Perhaps I wasn't clear. A lot of folks have legal records that do not include disqualifying charges. There is no need for a lawsuit or working to get the charge annulled. The only thing that is needed is to ensure that question 10 is answered accurately and that the facts are presented to the licensing officer in a manner that is most likely to convince him that the applicant made an isolated mistake and learned his lesson.

Back
Top Bottom