• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USCCA Certified Instructor Program

USCCA Instructor.png USCCA Certified Instructor Program

The goal of the United States Concealed Carry Association Instructor Program is to enable our instructors to effectively teach the responsible, safe, and effective use of self-defense firearms in accordance with state and federal law.

The United States Concealed Carry Association Instructor Program trains, certifies, and equips instructors in the discipline of carrying defensive firearms. Our instructors receive quality training and support and must demonstrate their competence and ability to teach others in a classroom environment.

The United States Concealed Carry Association Instructor Program will now be available to attend in the New England area. Classes are current being schedule for early next year.

Candidates must complete an online learning course prior to attending an instructor course. Attending the course does not guarantee receiving certification. Candidates must demonstrate their competence, an ability to teach and pass a live fire qualification.

This is "not" an Affiliate Instructor Program, successful candidates will received USCCA certification to offer USCCA established courses.

For additional details, please contact me to discuss and explain the course requirements.

Barry Mills
USCCA Training Counselor
[email protected]

https://www.usccainstructors.com
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Last edited:
At this time, there are four UCSSA Approved Lesson Plans:
Basic Handgun Course
Concealed Carry Course
Home Defense Course
Concealed Carry and Home Defense Training Program

Additional Training Programs are currently in development, as well as an on-line instructor learning management system.

In order to provide consistency and quality across the USCCA Instructor network, the following minimum requirements (including the use of the listed PowerPoint slides and videos) must be met when any of the following are true: A). You are advertising your course as a USCCA course, or B). The certificate that you provide at the completion of the course identifies the course as having been a USCCA course, or C). The certificate contains the USCCA logo, or D). The certificate is a certificate provided by the USCCA. In addition to these minimum requirements, the USCCA also requires its instructors to meet or exceed any state mandated requirements including course content, course duration, live fire requirements, etc. Instructors are welcome to add additional content from the USCCA or custom content, but custom content must be consistent with the quality of USCCA materials, and the USCCA training doctrine. Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in the loss of your USCCA instructor certification.

Courses content is based upon USCCA Chief Instructor Michael Martin's Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals.

Each course includes a lesson plan with set course minimum requirements. A example of this is the Basic Handgun Course. The course has forty-three separate areas of subject matter divided among four modules.

Self-Defense Firearm Basics – In this module students are familiarized with the universal safety rules of handling firearms. Participants are introduced to the various types of pistol actions, including revolvers, semi-automatics, and striker fired handguns, and the pros and cons of handgun choices. Other topics in this module include ammunition components, care, and storage, common ammunition and firearm malfunctions and the methods used to clear them, and participants will be introduced to other use of force options.
Defensive Shooting Fundamentals – This module covers the differences between defensive shooting and marksmanship, how to properly grip the firearm, the shooting platform, aligning the muzzle to the target, point shooting, flash sight picture, sighted fire, and trigger control. Participants will utilize the SIRT training pistol in the classroom before progressing to the range for live fire exercises.
Gear and Gadgets – Students will be introduced to the various gear and accessories available to firearms owners. Equipment covered includes holsters, belts, tactical lights, laser sights, and storage solutions.
Basic and Advanced Skills – This module assists in answering the question “what’s next?”. Participants will be exposed to various drills used to enhance their new skills.

Each additional program follows a similar format.

Last edited:
That is our intention. Looking to have all programs at this time BFS certified. No promises as it will be up to the MSP. USCCA is currently certified in several states already. Hopefully Massachusetts is added to the list in the near future. Again, no promises.

Are the courses (or is there intention for the courses to be) approved for Connecticut Pistol Permit/ Eligibility Certificate applicants as well?

The USCCA is attempting to obtain approval in Connecticut. Attempts to obtain that approval have been submitted prior. The question exists as to whether Connecticut is "An NRA Course Only" requirement.

You are required to complete a handgun safety course prior to submitting the application, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course."

C.G.S., sec. 29-28,
[FONT=&quot]No state or temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall be issued under this subsection if the applicant (1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association.

CT DESPP:
You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

[/FONT]
The USCCA will continue to obtain The State of Connecticut's Approval. Again no promises.

CT is interesting.

I teach NRA's Personal Protection courses and they indeed are a super-set of NRA Basic Pistol. Based on the definition in your quote, some of us advertised that it was adequate for CT. Later I had a knowledgeable instructor (who teaches in CT) notify me that CT wouldn't accept ANYTHING except NRA Basic Pistol, so I dropped that from any advertisements I subsequently used.

As we learn from MA and NH (who arbitrarily decides to deny restricted MA LTC holders occasionally), they don't always abide by their own laws.

Good luck getting it accepted.

CT is interesting.

I teach NRA's Personal Protection courses and they indeed are a super-set of NRA Basic Pistol. Based on the definition in your quote, some of us advertised that it was adequate for CT. Later I had a knowledgeable instructor (who teaches in CT) notify me that CT wouldn't accept ANYTHING except NRA Basic Pistol, so I dropped that from any advertisements I subsequently used.

As we learn from MA and NH (who arbitrarily decides to deny restricted MA LTC holders occasionally), they don't always abide by their own laws.

Good luck getting it accepted.

It's an accurate statment regarding NRA courses that they currently only accept NRA Basic Pistol.

Previously, Ed Peruta was successful in having a non-NRA course which authored approved by the State Police Licensing and Firearms Unit as acceptable training for Connecticut Permits to Carry and (Pistol) Eligibility Certificates.

CT is definitely not an "NRA Basic Pistol only" state. I am aware of 5 non NRA courses that are currently CT approved. They do not publish the approved course list. I've been through the process, and can give you some advice on the matter. Drop me an email.

USCCA Basic Handgun Fundamentals Course is officially now an approved Connecticut State Pistol Permit Firearms Safety Course.

The USCCA Basic Handgun Course when presented with the USCCA Connecticut State Specific Firearms Training and conducted by a USCCA Certified Instructor meets the State of Connecticut’s handgun safety course requirements for individuals to obtain a permit.

This acceptance allows any USCCA Certified Instructor to train and certify individuals nationwide for resident and non-resident applications. This acceptance applies to USCCA Certified Instructors ONLY, and does not apply to USCCA Affiliated or Associated Instructors. Only USCCA Certified Instructors may issue USCCA Basic Handgun Fundamentals Certificates as a State of Connecticut Approved Pistol Permit Course.

USCCA Certified Instructors are individuals who have attended a USCCA sponsored Instructor Certification Course. Certified Instructors are authorized to advertise their classes as USCCA courses; they are authorized to sign certificates bearing the USCCA name and logo; and their certificates will be honored in all states where the USCCA is recognized by that state’s controlling authority.

USCCA Associate Instructors are authorized to teach with the USCCA materials contained in the Instructor Toolkit, only after providing recognized certification from a Nationally Recognized Training Organization. Associate Instructors are registered with the USCCA; however, they are NOT authorized to advertise their classes as USCCA courses, and they are not authorized to sign certificates bearing the USCCA logo.

To learn about upcoming USCCA Instructor Certification Workshops or how to become a USCCA Certified Instructor, contact [email protected].

For additional information:
https://www.usccainstructors.com
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/instructors/

If you have any questions, or seek additional information, please contact me.
Barry Mills
USCCA Training Counselor

It's an accurate statment regarding NRA courses that they currently only accept NRA Basic Pistol.
CT also accepts the NRA instructor certificate for NRA Basic Pistol as well (BTDT)

The USCCA web site does not mention any pricing, even for the on-line course and materials supplied by central command. Is this an "if you have to ask you can't afford it" deal?

The pricing is listed with the courses by each Training Counselor. The is set by the USCCA.

The E-learning and Instructor Toolkit and Materials, when enrolled in an Instructor Certification Workshop is $250.00. If not enrolled, $197.00 and $277.00. Discount is for enrolled instructors only. E-Learning takes about 8-16 hours to complete all modules. Toolkit provides new instructor with materials for first class of ten students.

The Certification Workshop is $347.00 for the two day course.
Total cost is $597.00

USCCA Certified Instructors are authorized to teach courses in Basic Handgun, Concealed Carry and Home Defense. Additional training courses to be released in the near future.

Having gone through this course recently I believe it is a quality program. The USCCA is highly supportive of their instructor cadre with materials & information while allowing an increased level of personal control and discretion in ways I had not found to be true with the other system we know well.

The USCCA program is more focused on preparing students for the responsibilities of actually carrying a firearm and steps to using it in a self defense situation.

I don't know if the recent proposed changes to the other training agency will drastically improve their current system but for now I'm recommending USCCA classes to all my clients that have an intent in anything beyond cursory firearms introduction.

Back
Top Bottom