• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USAF’s GAU-5A Takedown Survival Rifle Enters Service

Reptile

NES Member
Back in June 2018, we reported on the US Air Force’s new survival/self-defence weapon – the GAU-5A. The GAU-5A is an upgrade to the M4 which allows it to be stowed in the survival kit of US Air Force fighter jets. The Aircrew Self Defense Weapons (ASDW) is fitted with a takedown system that allows the rifle’s barrel to be detached from the receiver and it is also fitted with a folding pistol grip.

USAF's GAU-5A Takedown Survival Rifle Enters Service -

Whoa! The barrel separates from the rifle for storage! Now, if only they could come up with a rifle where you can separate the upper and lower halves, that would be great, wouldn't mess with your zero, and you could make it reassemble by using something really simple, like, I don't know, push pins or something.

Whoa! The barrel separates from the rifle for storage! Now, if only they could come up with a rifle where you can separate the upper and lower halves, that would be great, wouldn't mess with your zero, and you could make it reassemble by using something really simple, like, I don't know, push pins or something.

Woah there Frenchie, don't get all wild and crazy.

48097-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I’m curious to know how much space this saves vs. popping the pins and pulling the upper? How much money did it cost to come up with this redundant idea? Never mind, I don’t want to know how much it cost.

I’m curious to know how much space this saves vs. popping the pins and pulling the upper? How much money did it cost to come up with this redundant idea? Never mind, I don’t want to know how much it cost.

Looks like it needed to fit under the ejection seat area of 16x14x3.5", which is fairly compact considering the kits also include lights, medical kit, 4 loaded mags, survival gear, and flares. I don't think this is over all much of a straight cubic inch saver as much as it is a tighter fitting package once taken down (less wasted space). But unless you have these strict dimensional limitations, I don't see this being an improvement over what already exists. I also don't like the concept of a hinged grip. That would be the absolute worst point of failure on the furniture.

Redundant indeed. Should have simply placed an FN P90 and four 50-round magazines in the survival kit instead.

Back
Top Bottom