• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USA Today story on background checks.

I wouldn’t put too much stake in your perception of people’s sentiment towards background checks. A large portion of that 93% probably thinks the system should be replaced with some other form of gun control that is more restrictive.

Lol well there is a pretty strong perception that it doesn't actually work. ... especially with some of these high-profile cases where basically the bad guy either drove around the restriction imposed by the background check or killed around it, or the system was just so poorly maintained that it did not contain the disqualifying record... it's also pretty easy using the NICS operating report to demonstrate how bad the entire system is. Thousands of people denied, at least at one point, were getting them overturned every year- which tells me the system is very inaccurate.

Even with a UPIN that I got a couple of years ago I get "hold for further review" 99% of the time. I've stopped buying guns after 4pm or on the weekend unless the dealer is within walking distance. Usually only a 15 second or so delay like clockwork, but "after hours" I had a handgun delayed for 2 days.

I wouldn’t put too much stake in your perception of people’s sentiment towards background checks. A large portion of that 93% probably thinks the system should be replaced with some other form of gun control that is more restrictive.

This exactly is a sham to repeal and replace with something much worse

Comprehensive background check policy and firearm background checks in three US states
https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/injuryprev/24/6/431.full.pdf

“Conclusions The enactment of CBC policies was associated with an overall increase in firearm background checks only in Delaware. Data external to the study suggest that Washington experienced a modest, but consistent, increase in background checks for private party sales, and Colorado experienced a similar increase in checks for sales not at gun shows. Non-compliance may explain the lack of an overall increase in background checks in Washington and Colorado.”

Who’d of thunk it - criminals not obeying laws....

Study does not find population-level changes in firearm homicide or suicide rates in California 10 years after comprehensive background check and violent misdemeanor policies enacted

Study does not find population-level changes in firearm homicide or suicide rates in California 10 years after comprehensive background check and violent misdemeanor policies enacted

Incomplete background-check records, absence of permit-to-purchase provision, and compliance among possible explanations for findings”

Of course, since we know background check work, that just means we need more stringent laws and 20 years - and those States with lax gun laws thousands of miles away are to blame...

Back
Top Bottom