US Supreme Court OT 2019

I've kind of lost track. Is that Worman?
It's all of the 2nd Amendment cases that are pending (about 10 cases at last count).

Think of the Supreme Court as basically a group of very high level policymakers, albeit ones that are supposed to be tethered to the text of statutes, prior rulings, and the Constitution. Almost all of the action actually happens in lower courts. SCOTUS keeps an eye on those actions to see if they're off on the wrong course and decides what cases to take and how to rule on them.

Every case SCOTUS takes is a vehicle to push legal doctrine in a particular direction. So ten 2A cases = ten different vehicles. The problem is some vehicles are crappy, some are very similar, and the justices have different preferences.

The goal of the justices is to pick the best vehicles for where they want the law to go. But there's five pro-2A justices that each might have their own preferred vehicles(s) and their own preferred destinations. It only takes four justices to agree to take a case. But if they pick the wrong one they risk one of them jumping out, and getting an anti-2A ruling.

So you need five justices to agree on the direction they want the law to go in and the case(s) they use to get there. It takes time.

Something tells me next Monday will be another punt.

At this point in the current term, there is no rush. If any of the cases receive a grant, oral arguments won't be until the new term in the fall. The SCOTUS calendar for the current term lists conferences scheduled every week until June 25th. It may be a bit of a wait since the justices still have plenty of time to agree on a case/s to be heard in the fall.

DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 5/28/2020.

Kicked the can down the road another week

Same old same old. I’ll be surprised if we see anything until next year.

Bob

7195-CADB-2-E36-425-C-81-D6-D1-E0-FCB88-B12.gif

Nothing new in today's order list. Expect another relist.

According to the folks at Soctusblog, the 2A cases were relisted for the next conference late last week -- meaning prior to today's orders being released. I understand that this action is not typical. Maybe wishful thinking but, could it be a sign we are getting close?

Given Roberts siding with the liberal justices to countenance California's suppression of the 1st amendment under the guise of COVID, do we really feel good about SCOTUS taking up a 2A case with the court's current makeup?

It seems more and more like the Roberts of the Heller-era has now flipped. Maybe we get a narrowly tailored positive result, or worse.

Given Roberts siding with the liberal justices to countenance California's suppression of the 1st amendment under the guise of COVID, do we really feel good about SCOTUS taking up a 2A case with the court's current makeup?

It seems more and more like the Roberts of the Heller-era has now flipped. Maybe we get a narrowly tailored positive result, or worse.

This. IF Trump is reelected, I feel we may have better chance of a better result.

Here is a suggestion. We are well into 2020. Please close (lock) this 2019 thread so it can’t be bumped to just say nothing happened.

I feel like Charlie Brown kicking the football everytime I open it. NO MAS!

Please don’t open another Supreme Court thread that says nothing .

I’m one bump away from blocking the OP.

Here is a suggestion. We are well into 2020. Please close (lock) this 2019 thread so it can’t be bumped to just say nothing happened.

I feel like Charlie Brown kicking the football everytime I open it. NO MAS!

Please don’t open another Supreme Court thread that says nothing .

I’m one bump away from blocking the OP.

OT (October Term) 2019 runs from the first Monday of October 2019 until the Sunday before the first Monday of October 2020.

So, we are still in OT 2019 for another 4 months (plus a few days).

1591064274793.png

The U.S. Supreme Court could act as soon as Monday on an array of calls to consider expanding gun rights, including appeals that seek a nationwide right to carry a handgun in public.

The justices are considering a list of 10 appeals that would bolster constitutional firearm protections -- something that, to the frustration of gun-rights advocates, the court has repeatedly refused to do for the last decade. With new Justice Brett Kavanaugh calling for the court to schedule a new Second Amendment case soon, the balance may be poised to tip.

In addition to appeals on public handgun possession, two cases call for the constitutional right to own a semiautomatic assault weapon. Others would tackle a California gun-safety law and the federal ban on direct interstate sales. If the justices grant review, they would probably hear arguments just after the November election and a presidential campaign in which President Donald Trump’s support for gun rights could be a key issue. “They just need to step up and make a choice,” said Erik Jaffe, a Washington appellate lawyer who often argues on the side of gun rights. “Are they or are they not actually going to treat the Second Amendment as a constitutional right?” The court could add new cases to its calendar when it issues a list of orders Monday at 9:30 Washington time.

The court hasn’t issued a major gun rights ruling since 2010, when it said the Second Amendment applies to states and cities, as well as the federal government and the District of Columbia. That followed a 2008 ruling that for the first time said people have a constitutional right to keep a handgun at home for self-defense purposes.

The top candidates for review may be three appeals that ask the court to rule that the Second Amendment applies outside the home as well. Federal appeals courts upheld laws in Massachusetts, New Jersey and Maryland that sharply limit who can get a permit to carry a handgun in public.

Those three are among seven states that bar people from carrying a handgun for self-defense purposes unless they can show a specific reason they need one. The others are California, New York, Hawaii and Rhode Island.

I'm starting to think that these and the QI petitions will get bumped to the OT2020 long conference in September. We have three more conference days and the court still has 19 opinions to publish. Some of them are big too. Those take precedent over granting or denying pending certs.

All that is assuming that the term ends on schedule. The justices likely won't be heading out of town for their European vacations (I mean guest teaching gigs) at the end of June as is the custom.

Is it time to conclude that Roberts has officially become the new David Souter and the court has a 5-4 progressive ideological tilt? Where do the aggrieved turn to when Scouts becomes a political body and is no longer the defender of last resort for individual rights and liberties?

Back
Top Bottom