• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Supreme Court OT 2019

Healey has until December 9th to file a response arguing that SCOTUS should NOT grant cert.

I apologize but can you explain what this means? What does "cert" mean? Is it possible the SCOTUS would grant in the favor of WORMAN on the 9th if Healeys response is not logical? If that was the case would her AR ban be no more? This is all fascinating, I am just confused!

I apologize but can you explain what this means? What does "cert" mean?

Writs of Certiorari
Parties who are not satisfied with the decision of a lower court must petition the U.S. Supreme Court to hear their case. The primary means to petition the court for review is to ask it to grant a writ of certiorari. This is a request that the Supreme Court order a lower court to send up the record of the case for review. The Court usually is not under any obligation to hear these cases, and it usually only does so if the case could have national significance, might harmonize conflicting decisions in the federal Circuit courts, and/or could have precedential value. In fact, the Court accepts 100-150 of the more than 7,000 cases that it is asked to review each year. Typically, the Court hears cases that have been decided in either an appropriate U.S. Court of Appeals or the highest Court in a given state (if the state court decided a Constitutional issue).

The Supreme Court has its own set of rules. According to these rules, four of the nine Justices must vote to accept a case. Five of the nine Justices must vote in order to grant a stay, e.g., a stay of execution in a death penalty case. Under certain instances, one Justice may grant a stay pending review by the entire Court.

🐯

I apologize but can you explain what this means? What does "cert" mean? Is it possible the SCOTUS would grant in the favor of WORMAN on the 9th if Healeys response is not logical? If that was the case would her AR ban be no more? This is all fascinating, I am just confused!

Healey’s response in this case is not on the core merits, but rather her reasons why SCOTUS should not take the case (grant cert)

If she doesn’t respond, or her reasons are stupid, SCOTUS is more likely to take the case.

This is an opportunity for Healey to try to stop the process before it is heard by SCOTUS. If she’s successful, that would be a win for her.

If they take the case, then they will decide on the core arguments, and could decide in favor of Worman or in favor of Healey.

Last edited:
We can add another AWB petition to the shadow docket: Wilson v. Cook County (19-704)

QP:
  1. Whether the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution allows a local government to prohibit law-abiding residents from possessing and protecting themselves and their families with a class of rifles and ammunition magazines that are “in common use at [this] time” and are not “dangerous and unusual.”
    [*]Whether the Seventh Circuit’s method of analyzing Second Amendment issues – a three-part test which asks whether (1) a regulation bans weapons that were common at the time of ratification or (2) those that have some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia and (3) whether law-abiding citizens retain adequate means of self-defense – is consistent with this Court’s holding in Heller.
Wilson was originally an Illinois state court case serveral years ago. Comm2A submitted an amicus brief when that case went to the Illinois Supreme Court. Attorney David Sigale started a similar case for the federal courts and now that case is ready for SCOTUS.

Full shadow docket here.

We can add another AWB petition to the shadow docket: Wilson v. Cook County (19-704)

QP:
Wilson was originally an Illinois state court case serveral years ago. Comm2A submitted an amicus brief when that case went to the Illinois Supreme Court. Attorney David Sigale started a similar case for the federal courts and now that case is ready for SCOTUS.

Full shadow docket here.

This seems like a pretty solid case. Which is why the court won't take it.

Healey's response to the Worman petition.

two things right off the bat.
-"used disproportianately in mass public shootings and killings of police officers..." facts to back that up? becuase FBI crime stats negate that.
-"barred the transfer and possession..." you could transfer a pre ban just the same as you can now, except for dealer, correct?

lying out the gate here. you guys better call her on that

-"used disproportianately in mass public shootings and killings of police officers..." facts to back that up? becuase FBI crime stats negate that.
-"barred the transfer and possession..." you could transfer a pre ban just the same as you can now, except for dealer, correct?

Well, here's the thing... They are used disproportianately. However it's disproportianately LESS, not disproportianately MORE.

Fast and Loose with the facts is that AAG's stock in trade. She was the same one in Morin who said you could possess a handgun on an FID in the home and is now telling the court in Morin II that yes, in fact one can't possess a handgun on an FID in the home.

Just read it. Nothing shocking in there. They are basically hoping the number of previous lower court cases not taken up is enough legal momentum to preclude this case from being taken up. Basically "we've been doing this for such a long time you should just let us keep doing it."

Healey's response to the Worman petition.

Does anyone know when the supreme court will decide to grant/deny cert?
In Wilson? From my post in the Worman thread: ( Worman v. Baker - AWB Challenge.) Petitioners will file a reply brief and then the petition will be scheduled for conference. I fully expect that SCOTUS will not take any action until later in the term. There's another AWB challenge petition (Wilson). They won't likely deal with the backlog until the deal with NYSRPA and Wilson gets to conference.

In Wilson? From my post in the Worman thread: ( Worman v. Baker - AWB Challenge.) Petitioners will file a reply brief and then the petition will be scheduled for conference. I fully expect that SCOTUS will not take any action until later in the term. There's another AWB challenge petition (Wilson). They won't likely deal with the backlog until the deal with NYSRPA and Wilson gets to conference.
I was referring to Worman after having ready the Healey response in entirety. Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like a long shot for the Supreme court to take this one further but I sure hope I'm wrong!

I was referring to Worman after having ready the Healey response in entirety. Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like a long shot for the Supreme court to take this one further but I sure hope I'm wrong!
The same holds true for Worman. I think it very unlikely that SCOTUS will hear an AWB case this term. The best we can hope for is a GVR after the rule in NYSRPA (or a carry case if NYSRPA is mooted). What I can see happening is the court deciding NYSRPA (or another) and stating some generalized rule about evaluating 2A claims. They might then GVR some cases on the shadow docket in light of this new rule, giving lower courts an opportunity to make a new ruling. Depending upon the high court's ruling, lower courts could work around any new rule and still rule against us. None of this will happen quickly and none of it will happen in a straight line.

Add Medina v. Barr to the list of cases to watch. Misdafelony case with Alan Gura on brief. QP:
Whether the Second Amendment secures Jorge Medina’s right to possess arms, notwithstanding his conviction for making a false statement to a lending institution 29 years ago.
The Medina petition was denied on Monday - probably because the court doesn't like Gura.

The Supreme Court bar is pretty clubby and Gura isn't part of that club. The court also favors petitions from certain attorneys. They like Paul Clement. This term Clement has argued more cases that all of the female attorneys combined. Gura is also a little brash and a PITA. They don't like that. The issue at stake in Medina is an on-going one. There will be many more opportunities for the court to rule on misdefelonies.

I'd like to think that they'd be above that pettiness, but I'd be wrong. As I recall, Paul Clement is a former Solicitor General. Given his CV, he's clearly a "made man" in the DC legal arena.

The Supreme Court bar is pretty clubby and Gura isn't part of that club. The court also favors petitions from certain attorneys. They like Paul Clement. This term Clement has argued more cases that all of the female attorneys combined. Gura is also a little brash and a PITA. They don't like that. The issue at stake in Medina is an on-going one. There will be many more opportunities for the court to rule on misdefelonies.

Back
Top Bottom