1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

US Navy drone shot down by Iranian missile over Strait of Hormuz: source

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reptile, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Picton

Picton NES Member

No. That was a Clinton thing. "We can do it all with cruise missiles!"

That's how we killed bin Laden in the Sudan in the '90s... oh. Wait.

QFT.

10thSFFD likes this.
  2. boatman

boatman

2 words. John Bolton

Sick and tired of bankrupting our country by adding to the deficits. If were are going to print money, at least spend it to fix our country, not to go stick our noses into something else. Where is all that free oil from Iraq that #43 promised us?

Daddy Mac, jpm, The5thDentist and 3 others like this.
  3. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Russia routinely flies right up to the very edge of our airspace. And check out the Treaty for Open Skies.

4. Mattyweb

Mattyweb NES Member

Hasnt John Kerry been visiting Iran lately? Is this being encouraged or more by the Democrats to hurt President Trump?

ISOTOX and cmcgraw2 like this.
  5. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Whatever happened to the idea of making drones the size of a locust which will bond together, if needed. Did it stop at Olympic Games preso and that was it?

View: https://youtu.be/_wm7QIq8H80

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. atmay

atmay NES Member

There are two things at play here:
    -territorial waters (12nm)
    -exclusive economic zone (200nm)

Territorial waters is where a country can control access. The EEZ applies to commercial use of resources (fish, oil, natural gas).

IIRC, in scenarios where no international waters theoretically exist (ie a strait less than 24nm wide), free passage must be allowed.

AHM and Dradian like this.
  7. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Just about now is a perfect time for John Kerry to pack his Louis Vuittons and go back to "negotiate". He can take his bike over there also.

ker.jpg

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Yeah. It's hard to foresee problems 50 years into the future when you are trying to choose between d-bag#1 and dbag#2 to run d-baggistan. We messed up Iran, Iraq, etc., I'm not a Greenie, but damn the faster we get off the oil teat the better off we are as they can all get back to blowing each other out of the water instead of us.

Navigation is 12 miles. Which is why ships sit on the 12-mile limit before getting clearance into our ports.

That sounds like either a Michael Crichton book (it was - LOL) or a bad Power Rangers spin-off.

10thSFFD likes this.
  9. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan

Yeah... Israel does that when they have no other choice because the (frequently) Iran-sponsored terrorists use places like schools and hospitals and set up their operations (such as firing missiles) from those places in the hopes that Israel won't fire back, and/or if they do they'll face the wrath of the world for firing on a school/hospital. It amazes me what the world expects Israel to put up with from these cockroaches who's tactics include raining missiles on civilians. Imagine if the Iranians or any other group fired one missile into US territory. We'd (rightfully) wipe them out. How Israel can be held to a ridiculous standard that it should turn the other cheek when hundreds of missiles are fired into civilian areas any given day is beyond me.

AHM, Energizer and 10thSFFD like this.
  10. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

THIS!
    The latest invention is a balloon flying over Israeli countryside dripping fire! European Union wants Israel to understand that kids have to have some fun......And I am not joking!

View: https://youtu.be/U8ApdLQCoTU

MarlboroughMan likes this.
  11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

This is precisely why we do not teach history anymore! We are in a great danger to learn something OLD!

The notion of exporting our values and our "democracy" to nomads or to jungle tribes is wrong. The best thing we can do is to invest back home while making sure we do not have idiots here also, this is where we are failing and we will pay for it later. Instead of exporting we need to get into a serious defense mode and DEFEND our own values. That should be the priority. Poking Iran or talking to Taliban is like playing with wild bees. They will get you from a different hole in the ground when you think you are done with them.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  12. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I dont think so. Several Caribbean islands would be in U.S waters and gambling ships dont go that far.

13. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Exporting "Democracy" and "Freedom" is just the excuse, but not what the U.S does. And it is BS that US citizens have to die for political reasons thet have little to do with defending our country or liberating people.

These are all proxy wars in a chess game. Just like Russia, China and the US getting involved in Venezuela. No one really cares about the people there (despite what politicians say). If they cared, Chavez would have been out of there years before his death and the same with Cuba. If they cared, they wouldn't have had their hands in several military dictatorships down south.

14. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

U.S. Maritime Limits & Boundaries
    Maritime limits and boundaries for the United States are measured from the official U.S. baseline, recognized as the low-water line along the coast as marked on the NOAA nautical charts in accordance with the articles of the Law of the Sea. The Office of Coast Survey depicts on its nautical charts the territorial sea (12 nautical miles), contiguous zone (24nm), and exclusive economic zone (200nm, plus maritime boundaries with adjacent/opposite countries).
    ----------------------

12 nautical miles = 22.2 km or 13.8 miles
    ---------------
    According to Iran, the U.S. RQ-4A drone was downed by a "3rd Khordad" air defense system. That's essentially an Iranian copy of Russian's Buk.
    buk.jpg

15. kevin9

kevin9

How many folks crying "Trump is going to take us to war with Iran!!!" were crying "Trump is going to take us to war with Rocket Boy!!!" 6-12 months ago?
    [hmmm]

16. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

17. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Iranians claiming THIS is where they shot down the drone
    upload_2019-6-20_15-17-21.png

18. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

by my calculations
    upload_2019-6-20_15-23-32.png

upload_2019-6-20_15-23-55.png

so 15.37 km, or 9.5 statute miles, 8.29 nautical miles.

So, obviously i do not believe the iranians, but what does the DOD say the location was???

19. Picton

Picton NES Member

Does it matter?

We were spying on them. They shot us down. If the positions were reversed and the Iranians were splitting hairs about just how many nautical miles were covered between the time the missile launched and the time it struck, we'd be laughing our heads off and slapping high fives.

That's what they should be doing. On top of that, I think the Iranians are less likely than we are to be lying here. By publicly disclosing these locations, they're reminding the Saudis, the Israelis, and all their other neighbors that they've got missiles that can accurately defend their airspace. While we? Well, it wouldn't be the first time the Pentagon lied.

In a case like this, neither side is all that trustworthy.

20. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

We had a perfectly fine proxy war going on between Iran and Iraq for like a decade, and then George Bush Sr. went and f***ed that up by invading Iraq for absolutely no good reason, and then Bush Jr f***ed it up extra hard by finishing Iraq off and letting the Islamists have it. I feel like Trump is the least likely president in the last 30 years to start a useless war in the mideast. I hope that's the case.

drgrant and 10thSFFD like this.
  21. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

How many Iranian 9/11 hijackers were there again. Have you ever researched the USS Liberty incident?
    One of the justifications for a ground war in Vietnam was the Gulf of Tonkin incident. In June of 1967 Israeli fighter planes strafed and dropped napalm on the USS Liberty. Torpedo boats showed up afterwards and fired torpedoes as well as machine gunned life rafts that were in the water . Shouldn't we have retaliated and declared war on Israel?

22. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

Bush was a doofus. It was the people behind the scenes that got us into that war and they knew exactly what they were doing. It was no accident.

23. 1776

1776 NES Member

How about we start sending phony surveillance drones into the edge of their airspace to use up all their SAM's?

24. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Gov statement:
    "Guastella said at the time it was struck by the missile, the drone was operating at a "high altitude" some 34 kilometers from the nearest point of land on the Iranian coast."

map posted on fox news site:
    upload_2019-6-20_18-34-50.png

that one is 45 Km, 25 statute miles

upload_2019-6-20_18-42-50.png

25. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
  26. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

upload_2019-6-20_19-8-52.png my deadpool money is on THIS installation along the iranian coast

27. tuna

tuna NES Member

You know, if we bomb the crap out of someplace that Iran holds dear (cough cough Natanz) it would make two of our Mideast friends very happy.
    There were conspiracies that Israel was fixing to bomb Iran from Saudi bases.

I’m getting popcorn.

28. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan

You want to differentiate between the state-sponsored terrorism of Iran and extreme Isam throughout the Arab world? I wouldn't let the Saudi's off the hook or any of the moderate Arab countries who knew and/or supported the terrorists on 9/11... extreme Arab terrorism runs very deep and the nationality of the terrorists has little to do with which Arab countries are to blame... but leadership in Iran has been repeatedly tied to terrorist organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah and there is clearly close corroboration with that ideology and the Taliban, Al Qaeda, ISIS, etc. Regarding the USS Liberty incident... I'm not really sure why you're bringing that up repeatedly. First of all it's an even from 1967 and yes I have read about it extensively. The problem is that facts are hard to come by, and the official position of both the NSA/US and the government of Israel is that it was a case of mistaken identity at a time when Israel was under attack from multiple countries (they claim they mistook the Liberty for an Egyptian vessel). Whether or not this is true, Israel has proven to be a close ally over more than five decades, so I'm not going to look at one horrible event that may or may not have been an accident and use that to justify or accept terrorist missiles raining down on their civilians.

10thSFFD and mannydog like this.
  29. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

Hamas and Hezbolla attack Israel, not us. They don't have cruise missiles, stealth bombers, ICBMs, nuclear powered aircraft carriers/submarines. All we have to do is ban people from durka durka Muhammed countries from entering our country and they can't harm us. Why go over there and pick a fight?

The attack on the Liberty was deliberate. The ship was flying a large American flag and the hull classification symbol was clearly visible. More important the Israelis jammed the radio frequencies preventing the Liberty from sending a distress signal. This attack occurred on a day with clear blue skies and calm seas.

The point I'm making is people seem so rah rah bomb Iran because they shot down a drone while "our greatest ally" attacked our ship and to this day receives a good amount of foreign aid.

drgrant and jpm like this.
  30. jpm

jpm NES Member

At least he tried to kill him more than once, he didn't let him go at Tora Bora like W did. That would have ended things too soon and screwed up their plans to expand into Iraq.