1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

US Navy drone shot down by Iranian missile over Strait of Hormuz: source

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reptile, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

A U.S. high-altitude drone was shot down Thursday by an Iranian surface-to-air missile over the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened tensions in the region after last week’s attacks on two oil tankers, a source told Fox News.

The U.S. Navy’s MQ-4C drone, , which has the same wingspan as a Boeing 737, was over international airspace at the time and about 17 miles from Iran, the source said.

Capt. Bill Urban, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, declined to comment on the reported attack when reached by the AP, but he said no drone was over Iranian territory.

US Navy drone shot down by Iranian missile over Strait of Hormuz: source

It will be an interesting day.

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

why use such a huge drone, when they have little tiny ones that are much harder to see? Its almost like the US was daring them to shoot it down.

I do not like Iran, but i REALLY do not want ANOTHER war for the USA to fight alone. Let the EU police Iran for a change...they are in the EU's backyard.

3. 1776

1776 NES Member

4. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

The EU has already long been pacified and they don't have the fortitude to even control their own borders with regard to the muslim invasion that they themselves not only allowed to happen but welcomed it with open arms. The EU will do nothing to control their eventual demise and then realize all of their member countries are long gone, then demand assistance from the U.S.

They committed cultural suicide and are too STUPID to even realize it.

5. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

it is STILL not a reason why WE need to do the dirty work. Just make the sanctions more onerous.

Picton likes this.
  6. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

on the PLUS side, Raytheon gets to sell more drones to the .gov......

;)

hminsky, ridleyman and The5thDentist like this.
  7. wilson911

wilson911

This is my favorite part.....being a vendor to them and all.

8. 1776

1776 NES Member

Raytheon is no more, with the UTC take-over (see thread). And they only make a small percentage, but very important, part of the total cost of the unit. Supplier consolidation and elimination is a main element of the business analysts articles.

9. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

in case anyone is buying this "our drone was in international waters" bullshit....

THIS is the strait of hormuz
    [​IMG]

Notice that a lot of the area IS Iranian territory. So...where is the exact location of this Drone, and its previous flight path, to see if it did or did not incur on Iranian space?

The5thDentist and KVX like this.
  10. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Lift to drag ratio make this thing damn near a glider with a service ceiling of 60,000 feet and a loiter time of 30 hours. You'd need some serious suveillance equipment to take good video from 11 miles up. Think of it as an unmanned U2, they got a bit higher, but that lift:drag ratio is what made them efficient. Bigger wings are better.

tuna and 10thSFFD like this.
  11. Picton

Picton NES Member

“International waters.” Whatever. That’s just whining from us. Were we spying on them? Yes? Okay then. I don’t blame them for shooting us down, and we should quit whining about it.

Was this a locally-controlled drone? Or is this one of the ones that some dude in a trailer in Nevada controls, in between doughnuts?

12. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

Maybe I'm living in the past, but I still want to see the pig fuquers in the Iranian gov't and repub guard pay for the hostages and killing US GIs in Iraq with Iranian IUDs. Pay in blood, that is. No troops, no American deaths, just a shetload of cruise missiles and ordnance.

AHM, Len-2A Training, kevin9 and 2 others like this.
  13. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

LOL [laugh2]

Spanz, you have surprised me! What EU?
    Why is the EU training Iranian scientists? - The Commentator

Check this out, for a change:
    Iran's Crown Prince Strikes Back
    But, Pahlavi laments, America is basically alone in its fight against the Iranian regime. Europe is both too craven and too mercantile to take a principled stand against the ayatollahs. Russia, meanwhile, serves as the “biggest nemesis” of real meaningful change in Iran, with the Kremlin maintaining a deep and abiding stake in the perpetuation of the Islamic Republic, which has become a key strategic partner. However, he maintains, the United States does have an ally in the Iranian people, who are willing to withstand sanctions and economic hardship as long as they perceive that the United States has a long-term strategy to bring fundamental change to the country.

EU is working on a law which will require every drone to have a license plate and the owner of the drone must be in the vicinity so he/she can see the drone.....[crying] For few decades already EU is fighting every conflict with palettes of cash, The Obama Way!

Go get yourself a coffee! [coffee]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  14. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Probably remote, I don't know about doughnuts though. All of those pilots are commisioned officers, have pilot training, and hold a bachelors degree as a pre-requisite. I wouldn't want to be glued to a screen for 14 hours straight, 6 days a week. They don't cap drone pilot time like they do other pilots at 300 hours, it's closer to 1,800, which is why nearly a quarter of them don't last a year.

AHM, CTsupra and 10thSFFD like this.
  15. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

We do not need to be going to another f***ing war over there.

16. 1776

1776 NES Member

This is just an indication of the internal condition of their country which has been and is on the brink of a revolt for a while. Just wait them out with more restrictions and cut them off from all outside sources, and let them implode.

Iran: Anatomy of a National Revolt

BarnBuilder and 10thSFFD like this.
  17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Is not so, Grah, Soppah!

International waters is 12 miles. Twelve. Not "whatever we feel like." Straight of Hormuz at it's narrowest point is 35 miles. Which means a 12 mile free shipping lane between the UAE and Iran at all times. That map is a bit of bullspit. That isn't a map of international waters.

AHM, CTsupra, Energizer and 6 others like this.
  18. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Let's understand that WE HAVE CREATED IRAN. Iran was our project! There would be no Iran without us!

Iran - Wikipedia

Iran is on it's way to become our Afghanistan.

Instead of dropping bombs on them, the only thing we need to do is to fly to EU and spank all Europeans for feeding Iran while screwing us. That would do it. Russia can't send potato to Iran, so, if we have EU under the control, we can just sit and relax and wait for Iran to become Venezuela.

19. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

The whole point of drones is that you're not supposed to get bent out of shape if they get shot down, like you do with a manned aircraft.

Given that we have GPS and drones, how about we get the home address of the top 1,000 'clerics' in Iran, and send a drone to deliver a
    special package in the middle of the night to each one. The civilized middle class of Iranian people are basically enslaved by the Islamist dictatorship.

The idea of a war, like WWII, is kind of obsolete now. You don't have to kill a million innocent people and flatten the country to get to the small group of ruling thugs, if you have their cell phone location and a couple of GPS-guided munitions.

20. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

You are living in the past, George W, if you think you can just bomb remotely from your Nintendo without dire consequences.

21. robjax

robjax

are they sure it was shot down and not the fact that the drones also use the Boeing 737 flight control software? jk.....lol

Jason Flare and Spanz like this.
  22. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Knowing us we would blow up a hospital........We have Israel for something like that! ;)

23. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

What do you suppose the turn radius of that UAV is at FL600?

24. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Not a coincidence! Meeting with Putin on June 14:
    june142.jpg
    june14.jpg
    President of the Islamic Republic of Iran Hassan Rouhani (retranslated): Thank you, Mr President. I am very glad to have this opportunity to talk with you today.

First of all, please accept my greetings on the occasion of Russia Day which you recently marked.

Our countries have model relations and they are progressing every day. I find it difficult to list all the areas where we interact. It is much easier to say that there are no areas in which we do not interact.

And the situation that is currently developing in the region necessitates greater interaction between our countries.

We have good cooperation experience in countering terrorism and establishing stability in the region.

In the current conditions, with serious external influence and imposed sanctions, there is a growing need for interaction between the countries in the region, in particular between our two countries.

At the international level, at international platforms, we can see proximity of approaches, and this means that our interaction at international platforms is very good.

I have absolutely no doubt that today's meeting will make another contribution to the development of our bilateral relations.

25. tuna

tuna NES Member

Iran has the ability to close the Strait of Hormuz quickly and cheaply. They know this and it is their one card they can play.
    Everyone is always afraid to start a ground war in Iran.
    I don’t think Trump thinks in the same military - diplomatic line as others. I think there’s a good chance that Trump could order a “Shock and Awe” type attack on Iran’s ports, taking out their large ships and many of the small ones, and tell Iran to rebuild it themself. If this is his plan, I’m behind it.
    We’ve got troops all over the Mideast, no longer getting combat pay who I’m sure would love to actually do some “real work” for a week or so in exchange for getting a bigger paycheck. (I’m talking about Air Force supply troops in UAE and Qatar as an example)

Let’s be honest. Ever since the hostages in 79, we’ve been looking for an excuse to eff Iran up, Trump is the guy to do it on general principles.

26. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

We have been sucking up to Saudis for a very long time. I would stay away from any action in Iran. It will be just another Afghanistan.

barnabus likes this.
  27. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Because 'MERICA. Go big or go home.

And ... need an excuse to place more drone orders to keep the Defense Industry welfare flowing.

boatman and Jason Flare like this.
  28. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

and Iran would argue differently.

Doesn't the USA claim 300 miles from its coast???

29. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan NES Member

Don't forget... the election is getting closer. Rally around the flag is always good for a sitting President.

That being said, F Iran. They are the leader in state sponsored terrorism and we should have little or no tolerance for their bulls*t. We'd be crazy not to spy on them as they work feverishly to develop nuclear weapons.

30. Dench

Dench

There isnt a single human on Earth who doesnt doubt the US or any other modern Western force would obliterate Iran in conventional war. Iran has a track record of typical 3rd world/Middle East comically inept and useless military forces.

The real problem is, as always, who is going to fill the vacancy. The West's track record for this is real bad, has been bad and will probably continue to be bad. Libya? Iraq? Not exactly big hits. The US tried with Syria but Russia pushed back.

You're right that the West has been pissed off with Iran for a long time. But there really isnt any good alternative that involves the West's intervention.

I think the best case of action is to let Iran do what Iran wants to do in that area and let Iraq, Kuwait, Turkey and whoever else wants to get in on it deal with Iran. It would keep all those morons busy with each other and the US wouldnt waste trillions of dollars and continue to destroy relations over bullshit.

If a forign power was flying drones on the US that close to our coast and we shot it down there wouldnt be a person who wouldnt cheer it in the US. Why we are cognitively distinguishing ourselves from whats going on is beyond me.