• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Man Dropped His Gun, Put His Hands Up. Then A Cop Shot Him 5 Times

The officer's decisions "did not meet the standards held by our department or the community we serve," Acting Police Chief Eric McBride said in a Friday briefing, a year after the Sept. 28 shooting. The employee is no longer on the force, he said, and the San Bernardino district attorney is investigating for potential criminal charges.

Well last week we had the backwards walking cops that walked 1/2 way to the station and everyone wanted to just shoot the guy at word "go." We can't have it both ways.

Once you've got your front door open and a gun in your hand on a Domestic call, the police are NOT going to go back down the ladder-of-force, put their guns away and pull out their Tasers. Don't advance. You won't get shooted.

Well last week we had the backwards walking cops that walked 1/2 way to the station and everyone wanted to just shoot the guy at word "go." We can't have it both ways.

Once you've got your front door open and a gun in your hand on a Domestic call, the police are NOT going to go back down the ladder-of-force, put their guns away and pull out their Tasers. Don't advance. You won't get shooted.

True. This is a tough call. That guy stood there with the gun in is hand for a while before putting it down, leading me to think he was calculating his odds before coming to that decision. Seems like bad intentions were already swimming around his mind. Turns out after the fact he was unarmed, but who's to say that was the case while confronting him just because he didn't have a visible weapon? Hindsight is 20/20 here, but in the middle of action, who knows. Man, I wouldn't want that job. Damned if you do, killed if you don't type decisions.

On a separate thought--do cops often mod guns with mag extentions? If not, I wonder if that will hurt his defense, making him look eager to dump rounds.

Modifications are usually a policy thing to issued gear if I understand correctly. That is, if you want ________ (magwell, mag extension, RDS, compensator, trigger, different WML, whatever), it goes through a review process and is added to acceptable policy, and an armorer installs it for you. I would think if you substitute your own modifications without this process it's going to look bad just for an inability to follow policy, not necessarily "out to kill." I would expect the review process to have a significant does of CYA, in fact that's probably the largest hurdle to overcome, the liability aspect.

Not LE, not an expert, just hear LE talking about this process on other forums when performance-enhancing gear that is becoming tested to the point of boring reliability in other venues (competition, EDC, training) starts being discussed for duty use.

Cop was talking on the radio when the guy put the gun down.
Cop may not have seen it or it may not have registered that the suspect wasnt armed any longer..
Tough situation.

Bad guy kept walking at the officer, failed to obey commands...100% on him. Looked to me like he was close enough that the officer would have been in trouble had the BG charged him for his weapon.

Officers department threw him under the bus IMO. This is what you get in our new and improved "PC" society.

Modifications are usually a policy thing to issued gear if I understand correctly. ... I would think if you substitute your own modifications without this process it's going to look bad just for an inability to follow policy, not necessarily "out to kill."
We're all supposed to carry the same sidearm as the local police,
with the same ammo and lot number, in order to look less killy.

But if (if) this went to trial,
the judge is going to instruct the jury to disregard
any PSH speeches that the DA makes,
because shade-tree gunsmithing is just "an inability to follow policy"?

Maybe not proper police protocol but I would have dusted off his sweater too. Could have had another weapon and just kept advancing.

The officer's decisions "did not meet the standards held by our department or the community we serve," Acting Police Chief Eric McBride said in a Friday briefing, a year after the Sept. 28 shooting. The employee is no longer on the force, he said, and the San Bernardino district attorney is investigating for potential criminal charges.
Obviously, this is a lie. The police ONLY shoot black people, right?

Doesnt drop firearm on repeated commands to do so, does not raise hands after repeated commands , does not stop approaching officer after being told to stop. Not sure that warranted 5 shots however this was on the perp.

This is what will happen.

DA will over charge the cop with murder to appease the public.

Cop will be found not guilty.

Doesnt drop firearm on repeated commands to do so, does not raise hands after repeated commands , does not stop approaching officer after being told to stop. Not sure that warranted 5 shots however this was on the perp.

He behaved stupidly and delayed obeying. But, he did put the gun down and had hands down clearly not containing any objects, but then was advancing for no apparent reason. (Is he on drugs or insane or something? This isn't how a normal person would react, or even a bad person who otherwise has his mental facilities still operational would react.) So, all I can tell at the time of the shooting is that the advancing may have been threatening, but with no obvious weapon. This probably warrants a taser or pepper spray.

Cop'll get off, kid did some stupid shit, but he didn't deserve to die- cops should have backed up and dropped the macho act. It was clear he had a delay in processing every command, kid was whacked out of his mind.

He behaved stupidly and delayed obeying. But, he did put the gun down and had hands down clearly not containing any objects, but then was advancing for no apparent reason. (Is he on drugs or insane or something? This isn't how a normal person would react, or even a bad person who otherwise has his mental facilities still operational would react.) So, all I can tell at the time of the shooting is that the advancing may have been threatening, but with no obvious weapon. This probably warrants a taser or pepper spray.

If the suspect kept on advancing I would not lose focus on the suspect while trying to put my gun away and grab something else from the belt. Suspect advancing with his hands down, who knows what he could have around his waist or pockets. All it takes is a split second for the suspect to start running towards you and attack with another weapon or to pounce on you.

Based on initial report and the video it looks like a bad shoot. If you can see the palms there's nothing there. Civilian or leo training.

At least you're consistent in your hatred.

I feel like this is a warning. If a cop points his gun at you, you should shoot him? Defending you life?

Taser must have been in for repairs....haha.
Seriously, kid should have obeyed orders or was he too drunk? Knife in his belt, another gun?
PSGWSP...As they say...

Taser must have been in for repairs....haha.
Seriously, kid should have obeyed orders or was he too drunk? Knife in his belt, another gun?
PSGWSP...As they say...

Too something. Supposedly, drunk. But when I used to live and work in Boston, I occasionally encountered a belligerent drunk on the streets that was attempting to be a problem for me. I observed they weren't capable of walking very fast in a straight line, so dealing with them was simply a matter of moving away from them. It worked every time.

Back
Top Bottom