• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Flag Etiquette

This came across my desk today and thought some would appreciate knowing what is and is not appropriate on Memorial Day, etc.

Non-Veteran [organization] Members in Uniform with Uniform Headgear may salute the Flag during the National Anthem.

Alternatively, members may remove their hats with their right hand and hold it at their left shoulder, thereby covering their heart with their right hand.

Law Now Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag:

Traditionally, members of the nation's veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag only while wearing their organization’s official head-gear.

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed service members, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag.

A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.

Here is the actual text from the law:

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN
UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
subparagraphs:
``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
military salute at the first note of the anthem and
maintain that position until the last note;
``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
are present but not in uniform may render the military
salute in the manner provided for individuals in
uniform; and
``(C) all other persons present should face the flag
and stand at attention with their right hand over the
heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should
remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it
at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

Note: Part (C) applies to those not in the military and non-veterans. The phrase "men not in uniform" refers to civil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, and letter carriers - non-veteran civil servants who might normally render a salute while in uniform.

Don't forget to put a light on it at night, or bring it inside.

And please don't let it touch the ground. It is often not intentional, but I can't believe how often I see this happen because someone just isn't paying attention.

Personally, I have never been aware of anyone out of uniform saluting rather than placing their hand over their heart, but apparently I live under a rock.

I'm going to out myself here. Even when I'm alone, at home, I stand up for the French and the U.S. anthem. Cracked my ex up big time.

I was at the red Sox game a couple weeks ago.
When the national anthem was played, I looked around in awe. I felt like half the people around me didn't even slow their conversation. I swear some seemed annoyed at the interruption.
It's funny to see the difference between the yuppie pink "B" hat wearing crowd and the Nascar fans.
Last year you couldn't hear your own voice over the crowd singing in my section At the Speedway.
I just bought a new flag for this weekend. old one is going to vfw for proper disposal.

I did know this and salute the flag though I hung the uniform up a few years ago. If the national Anthem is played and someone leaves a hat on, I remind them afterward. A high percentage of them do not realize they had a hat on. The rest are just lazy bitches.

Displaying the flag vertically. Which way do you hang it? I see this wrong as often as not. Watch a movie in which there is a flag displayed vertically. Half the time it is wrong. We occasionally fly a flag vertically when flying. I can't tell you how many times I have to fix it because whoever put it up did so wrong.

Without checking, do you know which way is right? No need to post, just a test for yourself.

5043175868_American_flag_xlarge.jpeg

Or

depositphotos_2521317-U.S.-Flag-hanging-on-building.jpg

Members of the US Naval Service, both Navy and Marines, render a hand salute only when covered.

I did know this and salute the flag though I hung the uniform up a few years ago. If the national Anthem is played and someone leaves a hat on, I remind them afterward. A high percentage of them do not realize they had a hat on. The rest are just lazy bitches.

and a lot of those idiots probably put their hand over their heart and/or remove their hat for 'God Bless America' when they play it during the 7th inning stretch. That drives me INSANE!! It is NOT the national anthem morons, its just a f*cking song, leave your damn hat on and stop covering your heart because it has 'America' in it. I even see uniformed people do this and it makes me nuts, I have to switch the channel when its played.

Displaying the flag vertically. Which way do you hang it? I see this wrong as often as not. Watch a movie in which there is a flag displayed vertically. Half the time it is wrong. We occasionally fly a flag vertically when flying. I can't tell you how many times I have to fix it because whoever put it up did so wrong.

Without checking, do you know which way is right? No need to post, just a test for yourself.

5043175868_American_flag_xlarge.jpeg

Or

depositphotos_2521317-U.S.-Flag-hanging-on-building.jpg

Blue field is in the upper left corner, whether the flag is vertical or horizontal.

Right?

Blue field is in the upper left corner, whether the flag is vertical or horizontal.

Right?

You are correct, but it is wrong. It used to be that the flag hung vertically was a horizontal flag rotated 90 degrees clockwise -- and then the pedantic lawyers in the Congress got involved and "clarified" it. That's why when you see a group of flags (international, state, whatever) displayed vertically, only the U.S. flag has to be flipped. All others are simply rotated to the right.

Don't get me started on the "backwards" right shoulder flag patches. I've heard what service members are taught these days ("closer to the heart", "streaming into battle", etc.), but I remember exactly when it started: the Air Farce thought it would be more stylish to have flags painted on the right (starboard) sides of aircraft vertical stabilizers appear to be "streaming".

Don't get me started on the "backwards" right shoulder flag patches. I've heard what service members are taught these days ("closer to the heart", "streaming into battle", etc.), but I remember exactly when it started: the Air Farce thought it would be more stylish to have flags painted on the right (starboard) sides of aircraft vertical stabilizers appear to be "streaming".

Yet it is the Army who wears it on their uniforms and has it codified into their regulations, and the Air 'Farce' manages to wear normal flags...

One of the few things less relevant to me than flags are mindless rules and traditions. Ideas matter. Symbols don't. There are multitudes of things more important than what people do (or do not do) with their pieces of cloth.

No, it is positioned so it flies upright when you grab it to run into battle.

Who does that anymore?

The flag doesn't mean what it once did, its fun to be nostalgic but all those things that the flag "stands for" haven't existed in 100 years or so in this country. It is now a symbol of tyranny, spying and oppression. The cops wear flags while they beat citizens to death. The NSA has flags all over their building while they are spying on your every move. And of course DC and the White house have flags everywhere while they write laws that undermine our liberty and screw over future generations.

Your money and your bible are only pieces of paper if you don't have faith in them. it's the same with the flag.
The flag is a symbol of what citizens of this country have done to make it one of the best places in the world to live. Perfect or not, I'm proud of it.
Your name is just a symbol,why not stop using that.

Back
Top Bottom