• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Democrats push bill for state-level handgun licensing

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
H.R.5490 - Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act

Congressional Dems launch drive to bring handgun licensing to more states
A group of Democrats from states that require licenses to purchase or own handguns is looking to take the concept nationwide.

The sponsored legislation, H.R.5490, would promote handgun licensing programs in states by means of a federal grant program. Introduced last week by lawmakers from Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland and North Carolina, the proponents argue that requiring a person to obtain a permit before they can buy a pistol or revolver saves lives.

“Research shows that permit to purchase laws are effective and prevent guns from getting into the hands of dangerous individuals. In my home state of Connecticut, permit to purchase laws worked to reduce firearm homicides by 40 percent,” said U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn. “The Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act is one step forward we can take to make our communities safer while respecting the rights of law-abiding gun owners.”

Looks like an 'out yourself' bill for dumbocrats... Seriously, do they really think people in FREE states (or the more free states) will put up with this kind of bullshit??

Time to get the lynch mob ready.

Rep Esty is certainly full of shit.

That's not very nice.

But very truthful.

Top Democrat In Connecticut Senate Calls On Elizabeth Esty To Resign

Esty’s top adviser, Tony Baker, remained on the payroll for three months after Esty learned of the allegations of abuse involving aide Anna Kain before she dismissed Baker. He not only received a $5,000 severance payment, but got a favorable recommendation from his one-time boss that led to his hiring by the gun-control group Sandy Hook Promise.

While Republicans have called for Esty’s resignation, most prominent Democrats, including Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy and U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro, have been silent on the question of whether or not she should step down, only saying she has owned up to mishandling the situation.

Esty, who represents the 5th District in central and northwest Connecticut, has said in comments to the media and in a letter to her House colleagues she will not quit over the scandal.

“For those who have asked, I want to be clear that I am not resigning, that I have important work to do in Congress, including building on the lessons of this horrible series of events,” Esty said in a statement Friday.

well, if the democrats are pushing it, you KNOW they only have our welfare in mind!

[banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]

The whole concept of a licensing scheme for something that SCOTUS has ruled as an individual right guaranteed by the Constitution blows my mind .

I HATE how we continously have to relitigate 2A. Heller and McDonald were crystal clear on this. No govt permission slip required.

So does that mean that TX gets to implement a may issue licensing scheme for abortion or gay marriage?

no licensing. in fact we should introduce a bill to ban all gun control. I cannot believe I am in favor of a 'ban'. But that one I could get behind...lol

Back
Top Bottom