• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Coast Guard gets a C-27

... As a poster commented, "the Coast Guard's new Ferrari."

https://www.facebook.com/USCGMidAtl...695515202940/1048692408536584/?type=3&theater

HC-144A.jpg

Heh.

USCG gets every else's hand-me-downs.

In this case, these are basically brand new aircraft. Their cost per hour is much less than for C-130s, so for small loads they are much cheaper to operate. But somehow DOD claims it is cheaper to operate the older, larger, four-engine C-130.

It is the same logic they are using in saying it is cheaper to replace the Army training helicopter, a Bell 206 derivative (a single engine light helicopter), with a twin engine medium helicopter that costs twice as much per hour to fly.

The Army wanted them but they don't fly fixed winged aircraft. So the AF said, sure, we'll support you. Then when J models were in production the AF said, you know what, never mind. And briefly some brand new J'd when directly from the production line to the boneyard.

It's good the CG is getting them. I think it fits their purpose well.

M1911 said:
But somehow DOD claims it is cheaper to operate the older, larger, four-engine C-130.

Well there is more to it then just fuel costs. 130's are almost everywhere. People are already trained up on them, from aircrews to maintenance. The parts and infrastructure already exist. Standing up units or switching them over to a new aircraft, and training eveyone up is expensive. So I'm sure that has something to do with it. You also must consider the intended use. Flight hours may be cheaper but if you need more aircraft to accomplish the same objective that quickly overcomes that.

But your point is well taken. There appears to be a huge lack of logic when it comes to decisions like this. I suspect that is because it's based on politics not what makes the most sense. Because politicians control the money.

You'd be surprised. I think all branches of the military work their equipment hard, yet the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds exist.

The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds actually have some of the oldest F16s and F18s. They don't get new equipment. And they are very useful recruiting tools.

Back
Top Bottom