US Arms Abeline SA revolvers

whacko

NES Member
Got to shoot a US Arms Abeline SA 44 mag revolvee the other night. Guy at the club had one. Said his dad bought it decades ago. What a sweet shooting single action wheel gun. I fired some hot 44 mag reloads through it and damn it handles the recoil so much better than my 629 Smith. The bluing on it was so smooth and perfect. Trigger took a bit of pressure but it broke like glass. Very nice gun. Now.... I want one.

Anyone ever heard of these? I had not heard of us arms abilene until the other night when a gun club friend let me try his. Photo from interweb shows the nice bluing on these.

i252.photobucket.com_albums_hh25_meterry_bucket_bb0531faf47cd02f82f6128f034a81ea.jpg

I’ve never heard of them. But I personally prefer to shoot single actions for fun, and that looks like a beautiful example of one. It looks like a Colt New Frontier model, which I really like. They handle recoil far better than double actions because of their grip shape.

Edit: if that company is the same as the US firearms company that went out of business a handful of years ago then it is a great revolver. For a couple of decades their single action revolvers were a better quality than what Colt was producing at the time. They were considered top of the line for a while.

I’ve never heard of them. But I personally prefer to shoot single actions for fun, and that looks like a beautiful example of one. It looks like a Colt New Frontier model, which I really like. They handle recoil far better than double actions because of their grip shape.

Edit: if that company is the same as the US firearms company that went out of business a handful of years ago then it is a great revolver. For a couple of decades their single action revolvers were a better quality than what Colt was producing at the time. They were considered top of the line for a while.
I think a 44 mag single action would make a fantastic deer hubting handgun.

I own a 4 Inch barrel 629 and this "abeline" handled recoil much better than the 629. If I were to handgun hunt it would be with a single action 44 mag for sure.

I think a 44 mag single action would make a fantastic deer hubting handgun.

I own a 4 Inch barrel 629 and this "abeline" handled recoil much better than the 629. If I were to handgun hunt it would be with a single action 44 mag for sure.

Absolutely. I've always wanted to hunt with a single action. I would likely go with 45 Colt if I had my pick, only because I handload. But if I were to hunt with factory ammo, a single action like this one in 44 magnum would be a great choice.

Got to shoot a US Arms Abeline SA 44 mag revolvee the other night. Guy at the club had one. Said his dad bought it decades ago. What a sweet shooting single action wheel gun. I fired some hot 44 mag reloads through it and damn it handles the recoil so much better than my 629 Smith. The bluing on it was so smooth and perfect. Trigger took a bit of pressure but it broke like glass. Very nice gun. Now.... I want one.

Anyone ever heard of these? I had not heard of us arms abilene until the other night when a gun club friend let me try his. Photo from interweb shows the nice bluing on these.

View attachment 667749

Hold up. Our Lord and Savior belongs to your gun club????

(Check the initials on the gun)

Per the 32nd Blue Book of Gun Values: United Sporting Arms of Riverhead, NY produced the Abilene from 1972 to 1979 when it was bought by Mossberg, production was moved to New Haven, CT and ceased in 1983.

View attachment 667749
From the photo, looks great. How's the lockup? Vault tight and rugged like a Ruger Blackhawk?

Back
Top Bottom