URI: Reports of active shooter on Kingston campus

URI: Possible shooter on campus | WPRI.com

[h=1]Lockdown at URI after gunman reported at Chafee Hall[/h]
We are continuing to investigate reports of a man with a gun in or around Chafee Hall on the Kingston Campus," the university wrote on its Facebook page. "Secure yourself indoors, stay there, and do not move about outside until further notice." URI said updates will be posted at ww2.uri.edu. Joshua Caulkins, a URI employee, told WPRI.com he arrived on campus around noon and found roughly 150 students and staff members around Chafee Hall along with two police cars and about six security personnel.
"Everyone's just standing around," he said.

One report... No gun seen, just someone thought they heard someone yell "I have a gun" but they also stated he might have yelled "I'm a good guy", they were not sure. Not making this up, that's what channel 10 reported at noon.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop posting "active shooter" in the header when there isn't one...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry, I really hope no one is or has been hurt, but doesn't an "active shooter" require a person with a gun who is shooting people? It seems like now an allegation of a possible person who might have a gun is considered an active shooter.

This will lead to nothing more than media hype on one end and a bigger tragedy on the other when people equate this to a fire drill.

One report... No gun seen, just someone thought they heard someone yell "I have a gun" but they also stated he might have yelled "I'm a good guy", they were not sure. Not making this up, that's what channel 10 reported at noon.

You sure channel 10 didn't make this up?

I don't trust the media at all with this crap. By and large, they have an agenda to scare people into believing that gun control is the solution to this when it is actually the problems.

Not to mention initial accounts are typically very unreliable.

Last edited:
I got a front seat to this fiasco. It took half an hour for the cops to institute the lockdown (kids on the quad outside the incident building the whole time) and the State Police now report that there is no indication of anyone with a gun. False alarm. Good thing, considering how shitty their lockdown procedures are. URI, Succeeding at Failing for 120 years!

Shouldn't people who claim that they "saw a gun", when none is found, be responsible for the expenses incurred or for injuries resulting from the ensuing panic, just as someone yelling fire in a crowded public venue would be held?

Shouldn't people who claim that they "saw a gun", when none is found, be responsible for the expenses incurred or for injuries resulting from the ensuing panic, just as someone yelling fire in a crowded public venue would be held?

Last year, in least four, maybe five separate incidents, I saw as many as 100 people walking around carrying guns. I'm lucky to still be alive...

... so I can attend the next such incident on April 27th. Green Members only, Spring Trigger Breakout!

A nice guy, a gun or a nice guy with a gun? Or a nice gun with a guy? I'm confused.

Last year, in least four, maybe five separate incidents, I saw as many as 100 people walking around carrying guns. I'm lucky to still be alive...

... so I can attend the next such incident on April 27th. Green Members only, Spring Trigger Breakout!
It happens to me nearly every weekend, terrifying... [shudder] [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom