• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

URGENT NEED - WESTFORD VOTERS

FrugalFannie

NES Member
Tonight we need registered voters at the Board of Selectmen meeting tonight.

7:30pm at the Town Hall Main Meeting Room 2nd floor.

I had a request from a fellow resident to make sure we get enough people there tonight. Not sure what is going down but it may be vital. I a sure it has to do with the proposed ban. He keeps a cooler head than me but he put out the request via email just moments ago so I am thinking it is IMPORTANT.

are their meetings live on tv or only recorded? I'm not a resident, but I work there from time to time and have been following this. I'd like to see what happens.

Did they put in an exemption for LEOs?

If not, you may be able to get your town moderator to rule that such an amendment is out of order on town meeting floor since it sounds like they printed specific language in the warrant. That will help it get voted down or no action.

Did they put in an exemption for LEOs?

If not, you may be able to get your town moderator to rule that such an amendment is out of order on town meeting floor since it sounds like they printed specific language in the warrant. That will help it get voted down or no action.

They actually can change the language up to and including at Town meeting. The current wording is VERY prohibitive. By loosening it up on the floor they may think they would get the vote by removing the 'unreasonable' restrictions and being willing to 'compromise.' Same old tricks.

ETA: no LEO exemption

They actually can change the language up to and including at Town meeting. The current wording is VERY prohibitive. By loosening it up on the floor they may think they would get the vote by removing the 'unreasonable' restrictions and being willing to 'compromise.' Same old tricks.

ETA: no LEO exemption

Well, they need to remain within the scope of the article. The point of a warrant is to warn the public about the topic of an article - the specific language of a motion can be modified but you can't introduce something completely new. For example, town meeting couldn't ban strip clubs in an article where the warrant only mentions firearms. If "loosening the restrictions" for LEOs falls within the scope of the article is up to your town moderator to decide. If the selectmen show up with a motion that you believe is outside of the scope, object to it on the grounds that the warrant mentions nothing about exceptions for LEOs so the public didn't have proper warning that it would be a topic for town meeting.

Make sure you show up with legal backup (Supreme court) that the police have no duty to protect at Town Meeting. In fact, you should publish an article in the local paper, or a series of articles about that subject alone.

Back
Top Bottom