• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Urgent GOAL Alert - Please call your State Rep NOW!

Mike S

NES Member
From the GOAL Facebook page:

Representative Kim Ferguson Will Be Attaching an Important Amendment to the Domestic Violence Bill Today - Please Help Get this Amendment Passed!

Dear GOAL Members,
The Massachusetts House of Representatives is debating the Domestic Violence Bill today at the State House in Boston.

Representative Kim Ferguson will be attaching an amendment that needs your help!

The amendment will do two things:

It will decriminalize pepper spray - Massachusetts is the only state in the country which requires a license to purchase/possess pepper spray. This important non-lethal self defense tool is a common use item across the country. Please help us make this change - legalize pepper spray!
It will allow any person under protection of a 209A restraining order to apply for a License to Carry Firearms at no fee. If the person is federally qualified the license will be issued with no restrictions and suitability laws will not apply.

Action: Please call your state representative immediately and ask that Representative Ferguson's amendment is supported today.

Click here to find contact information for your state representative: http://www.malegislature.gov/People/FindMyLegislator

How about no restrictions or suitability for all!

Not just people who get a piece of paper to feel safe, how many people will file for B.S. 209A just to get a free ALP LTC?

Last edited:
Maybe it's cause I'm having one of those days but I'm confused. Is this two separate actions?
First would allow for the possession of pepper spray without a license...
The second would allow a person under the protection of a RO to receive an LTC quicker...

OR

Does the amendment only allow for an individual under RO to get a Pepper spray license faster?

Aloha

It will allow any person under protection of a 209A restraining order to apply for a License to Carry Firearms at no fee. If the person is federally qualified the license will be issued with no restrictions and suitability laws will not apply.

Uh, no. No fees/process for anyone, or better yet, no required licenses...

More info;

http://milford-ma.patch.com/groups/...censes-for-victims-of-domestic-abuse_a67dcbc8

The first amendment reforms the Commonwealth’s licensing laws for defensive sprays (pepper spray) by removing the licensing requirement entirely for purchase.
The second amendment allows victims of domestic violence to obtain an unrestricted gun license for free. GOAL’s purpose in filing these amendments is to provide victims of domestic violence more tools for self-defense.

Last edited:
Made the phone call and spoke to an aide who was familiar with the domestic violence bill today but not the pepper spray or restraining order amendment. He said he would pass my request on.

Called Tom Conroy's office (I know.) Spoke to his legislative aide, Chelsea Gordon. She was aware that the amendments were being submitted but hadn't seen them posted yet.
Spoke to her about the fact that Mass was only state requiring permit and that possession on an academic campus was a crime (thought I'd bring that up too). She was very suprised about both. Said that she'd look into it and speak to the rep about it. Didn't feel like a brush-off but...

Aloha

How about no restrictions or suitability for all!

Not just people who get a piece of paper to feel safe, how many people will file for B.S. 209A just to get a free ALP LTC?

^ That!!

Sent my Rep. an email today and received a very timely response:

At this time I do not see an amendment filed from Rep Ferguson. Thank you for your email and I will keep your thoughts in mind as we take up the domestic violence bill today.

This is a classic example of how our side shoots itself in the foot by not attacking small, incremental problems. The pepper spray amendment might have succeeded, but couple that with something attacking suitability and restrictions for persons involved in potentially violent situation (yeah, I know potentially violent situations is why people carry guns) and it's DOA.

I also don't like the idea of rewarding someone for filing a 209a. Just imagine a couple of gun owners in Brookline - the first to file a 209a would get his/her restrictions removed, and the spouse would lose all guns. Treating 209a filers "differently" is buying into the entire "specific threat" logic that has made carry permits in NYC, NJ, HI, MD, most of CA and much of upstate NY all but impossible for the unconnected to obtain.

Last edited:
As I read it this is one amendment so it would be both or neither. Much as I believe that anyone should be able to purchase pepper spray, no license required, part 2 makes it a no go.

The idea that your significant other or other family member could file a bogus 209A which would result in loss of your LTC, confiscation of your firearms, and permit them, even if otherwise unable to qualify for an LTC to get one is INSANE.

I think GOAL needs to rethink support for this amendment.

From Goal's Facebook:

Great news! The MA House has voted favorably on the pepper spray amendment 142-0! The bill will now go to the Senate for vote. The LTC portion was dropped and not voted on. We will update when the Senate is ready to vote on this important legislation. Thanks to everyone who helped with this amendment and especially to Rep. Kim Ferguson.

From Goal's Facebook:
This is good news. As long as something attacking chief's power was in there, this was DOA. The issue of "may issue" and "suitability" is a big enough issue that it needs to be fought on its own.

Remember that the MA "Katrina bill" was a fait accompli, having made it to a point in the legislative process that virtually assured enactment. The LEO lobby got wind that it provided penalties for officers who violated the new law, called in a few favors, and had it killed in a back room.

Back
Top Bottom