UPS Lost my firearm?

Ive read a few posts from 2011 rand 2013 regarding lost firearms, but a firearm was being shipped to my house from an FFL after it was repaird and UPS lost the package. UPS said that I have to wait 5 days before a claim can be made which means I have to officially wait until Tuesday to see if the package is truly missing. Then they said I have to start an investigation to locate the package which could take up to 8 days.

I informed them of the contents of the package and if its truly missing I will have to inform the ATF. They didn't seem to care, do I wait the 8 days or go to the police station and inform them of the lost package and start filing the claims, etc...

I also informed the FFL and they are also looking into it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last time they lost my package, not a gun, a jewelry piece, it took them longer than 8 days to conduct the investigation. It's going to be a while before they get back to you.

I'd give them until Tuesday, then make what ever state law reports required, including notifying the ATF.

Be aware that UPS is swamped and they are handling millions of packages beyond what they used to 6 months ago.

I'll bet they find it and deliver it shortly.

I agree with some of the posters and whomever you call, not that you get any "love" say you're a responsible citizen and you'd appreciate some help with whom to talk to. I'd start with State Police.............. But first, I'd call back and ask for the highest ranking super at UPS, and if that is who you talk to before, then ask for HIS super. Explain your concern that because this isn't a crockpot, or popcorn machine, you don't want to wait and you want your item. If that doesn't work, call the ATF. And for GOD sake, in the future use FedEx.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
go to the search engine here at nes, look up brothers helping brothers, and familiarize with the terrific benefits we offer our jailed nes brothers and sisters. this is something we, the green members do for each other. you bought into a family my brother.
- $18 added to your commissary account each month your incarcerated. (up to 6 years)
- each month, a cheery nes green member will visit you at your prison. (provided it's not more than 12 miles away from the closest member}
- guaranteed birthday and xmas card (don't celebrate xmas? tell us what you do celebrate...within reason.
- someone to pick you up on your release date. (provided nes still exists)
-on the first anniversary of your release, a shoot somewhere will be named after you. (to be determined later)

keep in touch now!

go to the search engine here at nes, look up brothers helping brothers, and familiarize with the terrific benefits we offer our jailed nes brothers and sisters. this is something we, the green members do for each other. you bought into a family my brother.
- $18 added to your commissary account each month your incarcerated. (up to 6 years)
- each month, a cheery nes green member will visit you at your prison. (provided it's not more than 12 miles away from the closest member}
- guaranteed birthday and xmas card (don't celebrate xmas? tell us what you do celebrate...within reason.
- someone to pick you up on your release date. (provided nes still exists)
-on the first anniversary of your release, a shoot somewhere will be named after you. (to be determined later)

keep in touch now!

you must be great at kids parties!

I had UPS lose a gun back when I had my FFL in Natick. UPS gave me the line about waiting, I told them they can do what they want but I'll be reporting it immediately to the local police and the ATF and probably the FBI, given the interstate nature of the issue. Before I even got to the PD someone higher up at UPS called me and met me at the PD. They had tracked down the driver (about 7pm), who swore he delivered it. We end up all going to the house it was delivered to (Rd. instead of Av.). No one home but the Sargent could see the package in the kitchen through the side door with a pile of other boxes. He left his card and talked to a neighbor. Apparently the home owner was away on his honeymoon. Gun seemed safe enough so we all waited until the following week when he got back. He was a little confused why someone would send him Swedish Mauser and 1k rounds of ammo as a wedding present, was happy to return it.

The point is, just the threat of Fed involvement can do wonders.

Wait. All carriers, UPS included, are backed up right now. There is like 2 new threads per day about late packages. 99+% chance it will show up.

If it shows delivered and it is not at your house, that would be a different story.

I only had the 800 number, I couldn’t find a local number for Chelmsford ups.

There isn't one. They don't want the public calling local distribution centers. The only way I can get to Chelmsford is through my UPS Account Rep.

There's a good chance your package will eventually show up. UPS's problem right now is they're dealing with an ever-growing backlog and they're not running a strict FIFO system. Some unlucky packages may be sidelined for weeks or months.

High quality packaging and labeling is more important than ever now.

There isn't one. They don't want the public calling local distribution centers. The only way I can get to Chelmsford is through my UPS Account Rep.

There's a good chance your package will eventually show up. UPS's problem right now is they're dealing with an ever-growing backlog and they're not running a strict FIFO system. Some unlucky packages may be sidelined for weeks or months.

High quality packaging and labeling is more important than ever now.
Yup, not a FIFO system, you pay for faster delivery, you get priority. If you shipped best effort ground, you are at the end of an ever growing line.

Went thru the same ages ago told UPS I was going to call BATFE,local and state police to report the "loss". A few hours later they found my firearm.
Yup. Per BATFE regs/law ANY FFL (includes C&R FFL, regardless if gunis C&R or not) MUST report the loss to local PD AND BATFE within x (I think it is 2 days) of the gun going missing. Your LTC could be in jeopardy also if you wait to report it. Amazingly, UPS/FedEx/airlines hate having the Feds crawl up their butt and make finding it a top priority. How busy they are is none of our concern!

UPS said that if its not scanned in 5 days its listed as missing and they don't count Saturday and Sunday. It was supposed to be delivered Wednesday so that lands me on Tuesday when they will officially label it missing. If I don't have any updates on Tuesday I'll report it according to all regs/laws.

I do feel better thinking that they are just back logged and it will get here eventually, my only concern was that it was listed as out for delivery on Wednesday and then was never delivered, It does required a signature and 3 days late isn't a big deal unless you don't know where it is.

UPS said that if its not scanned in 5 days its listed as missing and they don't count Saturday and Sunday. It was supposed to be delivered Wednesday so that lands me on Tuesday when they will officially label it missing. If I don't have any updates on Tuesday I'll report it according to all regs/laws.

I do feel better thinking that they are just back logged and it will get here eventually, my only concern was that it was listed as out for delivery on Wednesday and then was never delivered, It does required a signature and 3 days late isn't a big deal unless you don't know where it is.
I would not wait and if you are really a Boston resident, you will likely lose your LTC if you wait too long (per BPD's opinion of "too long") to report it.

Call back up and tell them you’re reporting it to local PD, state police, ATF, and whoever else you can think of. The people at the 1-800 call center usually don’t know their ass from their head and will escalate it to someone higher up who will actually look into it. I’d do it now instead of in 5 days in case they delivered it to the wrong house etc. Had something like this happen and they were able to talk to the driver while he was still out and he collected the package from the incorrect address and redelivered it to me.

So it looks like the FFL has reported the lost firearm to ATF, do I also need to report it to my local police/state police.

UPS is s shit show by the way, they keep telling me different info that contracts each other. I wont use them ever again after this issue.

Back
Top Bottom